Bought an Enfield and a Yugo today

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had an old enfield once.. I didnt pay too much for it and the stock was about as dark as yours. I started refinishing the stock and WOW... there is some nice wood under all that varnish.

Congrats Pirate! I like the dark color of that Britt. I have the No.4 Mk.3 myself & like it very well. The Mouser I haven't had the pleasure yet, maybe someday.

As far as my Mosin that you shot at Owl Hollow I think my 12 yr old is gonna take it from me. Would you believe he loves it?

I would definitely believe it. I've shot one a few more times since then and I enjoy it quite a bit now.

I'm on the fence about stripping this dark varnish off and re-staining it lighter. Probably to a similar shade as the Yugo. Any thoughts on this? It kinda irks me that the varnish is so dark I can't see the wood grain.

I'm pretty sure the fellow I bought it from had refinished it himself.. It smells like fresh lacquer. He likely believes if they are darker it will hide some of the damage / wear on the stock and more people at the gun show will buy it. I would have preferred it not been altered at all - but thems the breaks -and I got a good deal.

Pirate,

I stripped the varnish off mine when i had it, sanded it with some high grit sand paper (just enough to make it smooth) and then stained it with a dark cherry stain followed by a coat or two of poly. The wood on these guns is absolutely beautiful. You've just gotta make it show some skin. :up:

Sadly the Enfield doesn't fire. Went out to the range today and it didn't fire. Looked at the bolt and the tip of the firing pin is smashed. I guess I should know to look at that before hand. So, whats the ordinary expectation when buying firearms from a dealer? "Buyer Beware, All Sales Are Final"?

I got it from the Gun Show in Nashville on Saturday. The guys name is David Annable and the business card he gave me says "The Hunter's Den". Anyone know him or had any experience with him? I'm gonna try to give him a call tomorrow.

Guest TnDeerHunter

On my enfield the wood was real dark but most of it from excess oil on the stock. I took a heat gun and heated the stock up as it got warm the oil came to the top and I wiped it off continued to do this untill the oil quit coming to the top was suprised how much lighter the stock was after.

Sadly the Enfield doesn't fire. Went out to the range today and it didn't fire. Looked at the bolt and the tip of the firing pin is smashed. I guess I should know to look at that before hand. So, whats the ordinary expectation when buying firearms from a dealer? "Buyer Beware, All Sales Are Final"?

I got it from the Gun Show in Nashville on Saturday. The guys name is David Annable and the business card he gave me says "The Hunter's Den". Anyone know him or had any experience with him? I'm gonna try to give him a call tomorrow.

I've purchased from this dude before... I actually bought my enfield from him maybe 3 - 4 years ago. Cocky SOB he is. He's an FFL holder who does business out of his home down Donelson pike somewhere.

He usually has a ton of mil surp guns. Always in a hurry for you to buy and then leave.

Yeah. The enfield actually had an older type magazine in it that wouldnt feed worth a damn.

He buys junk... and then sells junk usually. He probably knew well that your rifle wouldnt fire.

Don't be too quick to condemn the seller. I've never heard of him, but I once sold a cherry Lithgow #1 Mk III* only to have the buyer come back to me with the bolt, it had the firing pin broken and spot welded. Having never fired the rifle, I didn't know, the Lithgow had been a duplicate dated rifle for me.

See what the seller will do. I took the bolt and had the weld removed, bought a firing pin removal tool (Enfield bolts require a special tool, but you can make it if you are handy--I'm not) and purchased a replacement firing pin from Springfield Sporters. Worked like a champ afterward, and the buyer has purchased several of my duplicates since then.

I certainly won't condemn him until I've spoken to him today - and I'll be sure to let everyone on here know about the outcome. He seemed like a really stand up guy when I bought from him. I certainly don't think he knew it didn't fire.

Meh. I condemn him because i didnt like him when i dealt with him. I showed him the magazine KNOWING what was wrong with it and he told me flat out that i was wrong and that it was my problem. I wont deal with him.

Well I spoke with him and he said he will replace the bolt/firing pin. He says he has a shipment of them coming in and will pull the bolt off of one of them. Also, I mentioned this sadness at work and a guy a work with said he had a big bag of various parts from a couple old Enfields at his house. He is gonna check for a bolt and bring it in if he has one. so all is looking up.

Good. Glad he's willing to make things right.

One word of caution though: I would ask for the firing pin to be replaced, not the bolt. Enfield bolts are serial numbered along with the receiver and barrel. Look on the back of the bolt handle. Is there a number there? Does is match your receiver?

In other words if you put a whole new bolt in you may want to get it headspaced.

Edited by Garufa
Freakin' spelling!
Good. Glad he's willing to make things right.

One word of caution though: I would ask for the firing pin to be replaced, not the bolt. Enfield bolts are serial numbered along with the receiver and barrel. Look on the back of the bolt handle. Is there a number there? Does is match your receiver?

In other words if you put a whole new bolt in you may want to get it headspaced.

Ditto! Check to make sure the bolt you have now matches the receiver serial of your rifle. The #4 Mk I will either be serialized on the left side of the receiver, or on the left buttsocket, if typical. The bolt is serialized on the handle, the side where you'd be staring at if if shouldering the rifle. If it doesn't match now, I wouldn't worry about it much. If it does, I'd insist on just replacing the firing pin.