Any plumbers here?

70Stingray

I recently worked in a shop that the septic tank vent did not exit the building. I realized this one day looking for something. Two bathrooms and a house with one bath run on this system. I was also told that it has 2 55 gal drums for tanks. On certain days the smell  would be worse than others. had headaches for about a year. I no longer work there and was thinking about saying something about it to who ever I would need to. Just need someone's opinion on this.

Thanks

Andy

12 minutes ago, 70Stingray said:

I no longer work there and was thinking about saying something about it to who ever I would need to.

Why start something that has not a thing to do with you?

Edited by RED333
Because I can
13 hours ago, RED333 said:

In my almost 60 years of living I have learned to try to keep my nose on my face. You do as you want, I would have talked to the owner when I worked there, not after I left.

That is poor advice. When you see potentially dangerous things that are open to the public it is very important to speak up. One could easily make the argument that it is your civic duty. The benefit of living in a civilized community is that we all want to make it a safe place to live and work. 

The drains, at the fixtures, have traps which hold water, this water acts as a barrier to the gases from the septic tank. Without the proper venting, a siphon effect (water pulled from the trap) might occur allowing a nasty odor into the building. If it isn’t vented then the sink most likely stinks really bad because it has the smallest volume of water in the trap.

It was vented, it just wasn't vented out of the building per his original post. That means the traps were useless as the gasses came right back up the vent. To run it properly, it needs to be vented through the roof (or at least out of the building above the flood plain.) If your former employer wanted to cheat, he could put a pro vent on it.

I am a professional plumber, and there is no end to the hack jobs and jokes I see on a daily basis.

Edited by Murgatroy