Sign in to follow this  
Capt.Dunsel

Help with programming a scanner

Can anyone here help me? I am looking for help programming a police scanner for my area , Blount County and surrounding areas . I miss listening to fire , police , EMTs while I do my garden .

I don’t know about Blount Co. but Knox is starting to encrypt so you can’t pick it up.  That is the extent of my knowledge on.the matter.

i always wanted to get one but never did.  Now I won’t need to.

Most of the areas use trunked or encrypted radio, neither of which I can get on my radio. There's an app for that.... I listen on my phone. 

4 hours ago, n0rlf said:

What type of scanner is it

Uniden trunk tracker IV BC 396 T , was programmed for P25 in CA . Radio Shack guy did it for me . Have tried but my skill just isn't there.

Do you have the cables to connect it to a computer?  If so it is not too hard. I can build the file and send it to you. Pretty easy to upload to the radio. 

43 minutes ago, n0rlf said:

Do you have the cables to connect it to a computer?  If so it is not too hard. I can build the file and send it to you. Pretty easy to upload to the radio. 

Yes , I have the cables . Have been trying to do it but like I said , I failed and didn't want to mess it up any.

Ok let me see if I can get the file built. I do seeing through there about once a month. I can bring my laptop and meet. Take me less then 15 minutes to run it. 

nOrlf , thank you that would be a great help . I actually look forward to meeting people FTF.

DaveTN , have tried those , usually ended up losing what I had programmed , it got really confusing . Been 4 months trying , my fingers just don't seem to hit the right buttons at the right time .

Thank you to both of you .

n0rlf knows his stuff. Programmed my handheld in 10 minutes. Actually probably less. Now If life will slow down so I can actually get my license. 

11 hours ago, n0rlf said:

Ok let me see if I can get the file built. I do seeing through there about once a month. I can bring my laptop and meet. Take me less then 15 minutes to run it. 

What software do you use?

3 hours ago, n0rlf said:

Either freescan, chirp, or bcdeluxe. 

I've got chirp but haven't ever taken the time to learn how to use it. 

6 hours ago, peejman said:

I've got chirp but haven't ever taken the time to learn how to use it. 

Are you a ham too?

Well , after inputting a lot of numbers , tigds , and letters I got the scanner up and running . Sort of ,seems I have a few errors to chase down.

Days of putting in all the info I can at least listen to the state troopers , now to get the rest input , and find where I made my mistakes. Then it will be onto getting my second set up for conventional analog .