Interesting Range Request

I took two of my kids out to the John Sevier Hunter Education Center today north of Knoxville. Fine casual shooting range BTW. The staff and Range Officers were very good and helpful! We had a great time!

One thing did get my interest though. My kids are 14 and 9. I had to provide Id which I gladly did. No problem there. But I also had to give the TWRA Official my kid's Social Security Numbers which were entered into a computer. He said it was a Homeland Security Requirement. Is that true of all ranges? How many of you all have all your children's SSNs on you at anyone time? I had to call my wife who had them. I just thought it was a bit funny.

I'm not a big fan of Homeland Security any way. It sounds and acts too much like something Hitler came up with in the 1930's.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mustangdave

Proving your kids SSN...at stuff like this is old hat and was around before Homeland Security...its all done now in the name of heightened security proceedures. I had to do this when my kids were younger... A LOT

Hell...its not like we're NOT on someones database already right?...me...crap, I've been finger printed so many times for background checks I lost count. Shoot now adays in the military you're taught how to whizz on command for those random/spot urinalysis screenings

Edited by mustangdave
additional BS

"We need your SSN# for your children."

"Why?"

"It's part of Homeland Security."

"What?"

"Its for the children."

"Uh, okay, hold on. I gotta get them from my wife."

"Hey honey, I need the kids socials." "So they can shoot." "Its for future generations."

"Here's little Timmy's...409..55...34621."

"Sir, that's too many numbers."

"Oh. How many numbers are there supposed to be?"

"Nine. You gave me ten."

"Let me see the form." "Yeah, that's the problem, take off the one."

"Hey hon, hold on, I need Johnny's social."

"Here you go, sir, Johnny's is 409..34..uh..598...4?" "That was nine, right?"

"Yes, sir."

"Okay, good, glad we got that all straightened out." "I desperately want HS to have all my childrens pertinent information. Can't we just get them chipped?"

"Soon, sir...I mean...loosen the tinfoil for now."

Never heard of providing socials.

Proving your kids SSN...at stuff like this is old hat and was around before Homeland Security...its all done now in the name of heightened security proceedures. I had to do this when my kids were younger... A LOT

Hell...its not like we're NOT on someones database already right?...me...crap, I've been finger printed so many times for background checks I lost count. Shoot now adays in the military you're taught how to whizz on command for those random/spot urinalysis screenings

I want any future children I may have to be able to "AVENGE ME! AVEEEEENNNGGGE ME!" :D

[ame]

[/ame]

The first thing that popped in my head was Steve Martin in "My blue heaven."

Barney: I need your social security number.

Vinnie: 2... 7... 19... [sees Barney waiting for more digits] 33... 42... 2...5.

Barney: That's... that's one too many numbers.

Vinnie: [shrugs] Take off the 5.

Guest jackdog

Homeland security. First off I hate the term homeland. This is not Nazi Germany it is the United states of America which used to be a republic. No it ain't the F**kin motherland either that's the soviet union. But hey the poiticians are damn sure trying to get us there or worse. As for SS#'s they were never to be used for ID. Ask me for A SS# at a range you'll get 9 digits off the top of my head.

Guest bkelm18
Not saying you can, but it's still optional at the hospital.

All my kids have SSN's.

Yeah, I was just curious since everything nowadays requires your SSN.

Moped, bring your kids up to my place for the next shoot. No fees, no socials, and as long as they are responsible shooters, they're welcome to shoot anything they can pick up or drive onto the range.

Just let me know when the next one is. I might be able to fit in between AAU Basketball and Soccer. The spring time is busy for my family. But I'd love to come up there!

This was the first time I got to shoot a BUNCH of firearms in about 10 years. I used to go the range in Sevierville when I worked up there, but that was just pistol.

Starting about 1970, all babies received a SS# at birth. When hospital filed birth certificate, a SS# was assigned.

Wrong.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10023.html

Must my child have a Social Security number?

No. Getting a Social Security number for your newborn is voluntary. But, it is a good idea to get a number when your child is born. You can apply for a Social Security number for your baby when you apply for your baby’s birth certificate. The state agency that issues birth certificates will share your child’s information with us and we will mail the Social Security card to you.

If you wait to apply at a Social Security office, you must show us proof of your child’s U.S. citizenship, age and identity, as well as proof of your own identity. We must verify your child’s birth record, which can add up to 12 weeks to the time it takes to issue a card. To verify a birth certificate, Social Security will contact the office that issued it. We do this verification to prevent people from using fraudulent birth records to obtain Social Security numbers to establish false identities.

Guest gunslinger707
Starting about 1970, all babies received a SS# at birth. When hospital filed birth certificate, a SS# was assigned.

They were doing this as early as 1969.

When am I legally required to provide my Social Security number?

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=subtitle>Question

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=textcell></TD><TD class=textcell id=desc>Must I provide a Social Security number (SSN) to any business or government agency that asks?</TD></TR><TR><TD>trnsp.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD class=subtitle></TD><TD class=subtitle>Answer</TD></TR><TR><TD class=textcell></TD><TD class=textcell id=soln>The Social Security number was originally devised to keep an accurate record of each individual’s earnings, and to subsequently monitor benefits paid under the Social Security program. However, use of the number as a general identifier has grown to the point where it is the most commonly used and convenient identifier for all types of record-keeping systems in the United States.

Specific laws require a person to provide his/her number for certain purposes. While we cannot give you a comprehensive list of all situations where a number might be required or requested, a Social Security number is required/requested by:

• Internal Revenue Service for tax returns and federal loans;
  • Employers for wage and tax reporting purposes;
  • States for the school lunch program;
  • Banks for monetary transactions;
  • Veterans Administration as a hospital admission number;
  • Department of Labor for workers’ compensation;
  • Department of Education for Student Loans;
  • States to administer any tax, general public assistance, motor vehicle or drivers license law within its jurisdiction;
  • States for child support enforcement;
  • States for commercial drivers’ licenses;
  • States for Food Stamps;
  • States for Medicaid;
  • States for Unemployment Compensation;
  • States for Temporary Assistance to Needy Families; or
  • U.S. Treasury for U.S. Savings Bonds

The Privacy Act regulates the use of Social Security numbers by government agencies. When a federal, state, or local government agency asks an individual to disclose his or her Social Security number, the Privacy Act requires the agency to inform the person of the following: the statutory or other authority for requesting the information; whether disclosure is mandatory or voluntary; what uses will be made of the information; and the consequences, if any, of failure to provide the information.

If a business or other enterprise asks you for your number, you can refuse to give it. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or service for which your number was requested. For example, utility companies and other services ask for a Social Security number, but do not need it; they can do a credit check or identify the person in their records by alternative means.

Giving your number is voluntary, even when you are asked for the number directly. If requested, you should ask why your number is needed, how your number will be used, what law requires you to give your number and what the consequences are if you refuse. The answers to these questions can help you decide if you want to give your Social Security number. The decision is yours.

For more detailed information, we recommend the publication Your Social Security Number And Card .

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>