HCP Class suggestions

Guest mark_justmark

Guest mark_justmark

I was needing some help please.

There are a few ladies at work wanting to take the HCP permit class. They live in the Nashville area and were wanting somewhere that was close and female friendly. One hasn't even shot a firearm before.

Do any of you ladies have any suggestions?

Thanks

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tlondon

I am not a lady but safetysouth does a really good class. I have a female co-worker that has taken the HCP class there (she also was a new shooter) and she said it was a great class.

I took my class at Guns and Leather. There were several people in the class (male and female) that had very limited experience. Mark does a good job of teaching the class. If you are experienced with firearms and safe handling, you will be bored through most of the class. The state supplies the lesson plan for the HCP class.

G&L is relatively close to Nashville. They have an indoor range for the qualification part of the class. They do classes on Saturday and Sundays. I was well pleased with them.

That said, PackinMama has some excellent advice. I would HIGHLY recommend getting some safety instruction and handling experience before taking the class.

Guest Todd@CIS

Since other men are chiming in...

We have about a 40/60 women/men ratio in our HCP classes lately.

Several TGO wives have gone through our class.

No complaints yet.

Dustin and I pride ourselves on the lack of "chest beating bs" in our classes.

Guest Runnfree

I did my class at Academy of Self Protection in Joelton and there were 4 ladies in that class. The instructor was very good. I don't think you will be disappointed there.

Well, I guess I better throw our hat into the ring. We run a very non-threatening, non boot camp class environment that women find comfortable. You mention a "few" - we do group enrollment discounts, too.

Have your friends contact us if they'd like some references from "relieved" females.

Many of our best students turn out to be women who have never fired a gun before.

And, a couple of 'em have said Chuck is "dreamy" :tough:

well if the others are going to chime in I guess I will too.

I have been teaching the carry permit course longer then anyone in the state. Our regular courses are held on Saturdays and we can make special arrangements to hold classes during the week. The course is 8 hours and we get it all finished in one day. We specialize in novice shooters. Right now were running 2-3 classes a week and were booked up till the 1st part of April, but have them call me and maybe we can make something special happen.

(Bandwagon jumping)

HGR has taught several classes, all women, numerous 1st time shooters.

We teach the NRA Basic Pistol class, which covers the standard HCP requirements, plus some.

Next class is 14 March...still have room in it for a few people.

Classes are held on Saturdays in Gallitan.

Since other men are chiming in...

We have about a 40/60 women/men ratio in our HCP classes lately.

Several TGO wives have gone through our class.

No complaints yet.

Dustin and I pride ourselves on the lack of "chest beating bs" in our classes.

I have to give props to Todd and Dustin. I took my class with them and it was great. There were a couple of people that had limited experience with guns and one lady that had never held one. Todd and Dustin were very patient and we all had fun. :tough:

Guest Todd@CIS
I have to give props to Todd and Dustin. I took my class with them and it was great. There were a couple of people that had limited experience with guns and one lady that had never held one. Todd and Dustin were very patient and we all had fun. :tough:

Thank you, Ma'am.

It's always more fun if nobody blows off any "piggies." :D

I have to confess one thing that is left out of our classes. Nobody will be asked to point their gun at me...and probably not Dustin.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16835

Guest mark_justmark

Thanks Folks,

I gave them a print out of this thread. I'll let the ladies at work call around to decide if they want to go somewhere. I'm just glad they are wanting to pursue getting a HCP at all.

I do know they wanted to be inside. They didn't want to shoot out in the cold.

Thanks,

Edited by mark_justmark
Guest malbolja

My girlfriend and a lady she works with took the class together at the Range, Inc. My g/f had only shot a handgun a couple of times, the other lady was more experienced but hadn't shot in several years. Both were pleased with the class and the way they were treated there.

I will also chime in, My wife and I along with another couple + few friends got our training with Jim Carter off of Hwy 96 in Nolensville. It was great! Call him to set up your "own" time to train with who you want in your class. You will get the best "personal" treatment and experience! He has guns for you to use! 615-305-3653.

I compared it to what others did at a gun "shop". You will be very happy and impressed.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MikeH

Awesome female instructor in Cheatham County. Her name is CJ Powers. She has her own range and does an awesome job. Her sons help her teach the class and they are great young men. Her number is 615 405 0258. Tell her Hero-Gear sent you!!

Guest frankcostanza

The Williamson County Sheriff's office offers an HCP class through the Small Arms Training School (S.A.T.S.). Its a very laid back atmosphere. The instructors are all very helpful and make the class a lot of fun. There were several women in the class when I took it, as well as several people who have never shot a gun before.

I believe that S.A.T.S. also offers a handgun basics class for women. Call them up at 615-794-3333 and talk to Jim Mauth. Oh and the class is taught in Franklin at the Williamson Co. Sheriffs firing range.

Guest dtandy

I took my class at the Goodlettesville Gun Shop. Phillip kept it interesting and I thought it well worth the money. When my wife decides to get her HCP, I'll probably send her there.