Anybody using 45 Raptor?

Ehunt

Been reading about a wildcat round called 45 Raptor. Basically it's a .308 Winchester case necked up to a .45 cal bullet to use only in an AR-10 (AR-15 can not handle the pressures this makes). It's supposed to deliver about 3,000 ft lbs of muzzle energy. Has anyone tried this cartridge?

Edited by Ehunt

Its been around 5 years and really hasn’t taken off. Its basically a rimless .460 S&W Magnum.

It was touted as a big bore hunting round. It looks to me like it would be a hard hitting hog round, but it wouldn’t have the range of a .308.

It would be expensive to build and shoot (unless you reload). Other than the cool factor; I don’t see what you are getting for your money.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ehunt said:

DaveTN, yea you definitely wouldn't have the range. It would be great for Hogs, almost overkill. But I'm thinking it would be great for Bears?

Probably not noticably better than a 308 though, and less versatile. If you want to maximize energy within 50 yards or so, (like for beat hunting) why not go with a 12 ga slug?

On 7/10/2019 at 10:30 AM, TomInMN said:

Probably not noticably better than a 308 though, and less versatile. If you want to maximize energy within 50 yards or so, (like for beat hunting) why not go with a 12 ga slug?

12ga would work too. I like the AR platform for this, and I can have many more rounds than a shotgun. If I was to do this build, it would be an AR-10 with a 12.5" barrel.

On 7/10/2019 at 8:56 PM, Mark A said:

I'm not but I'm slowly inching towards building a 375 raptor top end for one of my ar-10's. I want to shoot 350 gr subsonic's because, fun. I think one in a 12" barrel would be awesome for home defense.

I agree, 375 is impressive also!