Handgun Carry Permit Database

Guest RedDog

Guest MediaBuster

"Other" legitimate uses for Commercial Appeal & The Nashville Scene Newspapers:

Kindling for your fireplace

Swatting flies

Housebreaking & potty training for your new puppy.

Lining cages for various pets.

Packing Material

Educational material on the leftist/communist agenda.

Place it under your gun while you clean it, so you don't get gun oil or solvent on your coffee table..

Absorbing oil from your garage floor..

Use as a doorstop.

Any other suggestions?

...I did one on Jimmy Naifeh Tipton County 38019 and nothing came up. :)

"County" is not one of the searchable parameters. Perhaps you have wrong zip.

A simple search for "Naifeh" reveals:

NAIFEHMARYCOVINGTON38019Details

NAIFEHMICHAELCOVINGTON38019Details

NAIFEHJUDSONCOVINGTON38019Details

NAIFEH JAMES COVINGTON 38019 Details

NAIFEHWILLIAMCOVINGTON38019Details

NAIFEH JAMES DYERSBURG 38025 Details

NAIFEHEUGENENASHVILLE37211Details

NAIFEHTIMOTHYTIPTONVILLE38079Details

Perhaps one of the "james" is the correct one?

- OS

Since the records are public information until something is done, how about demanding TDOS release them as only one record per request instead of providing the whole database? This should satisfy the requirement to be publicly available but the person requesting will have to provide some specific information and not get the whole database. And if it is $80 per request, the state can come up with some badly needed money.

Just got this in an email from Rep Matthew Hill's office. Maybe everyone should email their rep's and senators and try and get them on board to co-sponsor their respective bills in an effort to speed it up?

(February 18, 2009, NASHVILLE) – Representative Matthew Hill (R-Jonesborough) announced today that he will be co-sponsoring legislation to protect the Second Amendment rights of Tennesseans by ensuring that gun owners have certain rights to privacy. His announcement comes on the heels of the publication of every handgun carry permit holder in the state on the Commercial Appeal’s website. In 2007, the Nashville-based Tennessean published the list as well, raising the concern of Second Amendment advocates.

“This is completely unacceptable, and could possibly endanger the lives of Tennesseans,” said Representative Hill. “No one wins when a newspaper publishes the names of handgun carry permit holders. This action puts the permit holders at risk to have their weapons stolen, and it especially puts non-gun owners at risk by giving criminals a list of easy targets who are not armed,” he added.

Current law provides that the list is public record, but some lawmakers are working to change the law. Rep. Hill pledged to work with his fellow lawmakers on the issue, to protect gun owners and non-gun owners alike.

“It was irresponsible of the Commercial Appeal to publish the list, and I see nothing positive coming from it. I will work with and support efforts to stop things like this from happening this year in the General Assembly,” Rep. Hill concluded.

Representative Matthew Hill is serving his third term in the legislature. He represents part of Washington County.

Guest RISC777

http://blogs.nashvillescene.com/pitw...icks_to_it.php

What tool wrote that blog? Idiot.

I did post a comment there (by D M). I took aversion to being referred to as a "gun freak."

I might be a gun nut in one sense, I might even be a gun fanatic, but I am most certainly not a gun freak.

SOBs

...and a comment to the Nashville Scene that Jeff Woods is not the brightest human on the planet.

Edited by RISC777
Just got this in an email from Rep Matthew Hill's office. Maybe everyone should email their rep's and senators and try and get them on board to co-sponsor their respective bills in an effort to speed it up?

I emailed both my legislators concerning this issue, and have in the past. No response.

I snail-mailed both my legislators back when the National Park rule got changed (about changing TN's rules to match), and have heard back from my house representative.

Moral being, email may work for some of them, but if you want to get their attention best, snail-mail is still king. That said, just do both :D

Didn't this CA database come on the heels of the Panera Bread shooting in Cordova? I'm sure the CA thinks it's their way of protecting the public from HCP folks, like the one involved in that shooting. If they'd have thought about it for 5 minutes...all the negetive aspects of this. But I'm certain they don't care.

Didn't this CA database come on the heels of the Panera Bread shooting in Cordova? I'm sure the CA thinks it's their way of protecting the public from HCP folks, like the one involved in that shooting. If they'd have thought about it for 5 minutes...all the negetive aspects of this. But I'm certain they don't care.

Apparently it was there before the Cordova shooting but no one knew about it until now. The CA's justification for posting has been lame at best, but they have been touting it's presence and sudden notoriety in conjuction with that incident.

Edited by Garufa
diarrhea of the mouth

Hi folks, I'm newly joined (1st post) but have been reading the posts about that overstepping, sanctimonious "Pekerhead" at the Commercial Appeal. I have been bombarding them with so many e-mails to them I'm sure I've been added to the spam mail filters by now.

I think lots of letters to the legislature will likely help a lot at this point.

Also, I have notified First Tennessee Bank that I intend to remove deposits at my earliest opportunity. They said they would get back in a couple of days about the situation ... waiting ...

Economic boycotts of advertisers and legislative pressures might be good at this stage. Any other ways that I can legally impact these self-important zealots? :meh:

Guest GlockRule

The Tennessean newspaper tried this same thing around Apr of 2007...it was only up for about 4 hours before they were bombarded by calls. This pisses me off because it's basically a shopping list of the best people to burglarize if you want to find guns!!! There is a good thread on GlockTalk about who to call and complain to...we need to get this database taken down-it's ridiculous!

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=998854

Guest David Waldrip

State Senator Mark Norris was on NRA News (www.nranews.com) last night talking about this.

He also said he thought the chances were higher this year for the pro-gun legislation to pass.

-David

Edited by David Waldrip
Spelling

The Knoxnews link provides a "contact us" section complete with the e-mails

of staff members including editor Hartman (?sp).

Surprise, surprise they are also owned by Scripps.

We have many online Carry Permit holders actively lobbying against this gross intrusion. BUT! I'm guessing that still a goodly number of the almost 200,000 licensed Carry Permit holders in TN may still be unaware of this spreading smear of their personal information. Many Carry Permit holders sadly may not even belong to the NRA. Those of us that belong to a gun club or a range facility or attend a Gunshow, we need to get the okay to post prominent public notices about this grave privacy invasion! And make sure we include contact information and the names of businesses that advertise in these "rags"!

Please consider going to this link http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline...s-paper-d.html and giving a reply to the online story the USA Today posted about the Commercial Appeal's "low blow".

To post a rebuttal you do have to register but it doesn't take long.

If we can overload the responses with our opposition I think that would help our position. It all adds up. Mentioning advertiser boycotts is always a good touch.

Guest 2Flagal
I am in it. I hope that IF,and a big IF, that if someone were to target gun owners strictly from the newspaper's given info,THAT said newspaper is OWNED!

Not just for info,but possibly contributing to the well being or not so well being of said thug trying to do said gun owner harm and mental distress and lost time BECAUSE of said paper's info contribution.

I would love an attorney to take this situation and run with it.

I wrote a letter to the NRA. This guy Louis Graham (Asst. Managing Editor) is a member of the NRA.

He's scum!! :D

Guest bennyG19

I emailed Rusty Crowe and Kent Williams to let them know that I thought this was an invasion of privacy and a bad idea by the paper. I explained that no matter how much I hate it the current laws allow it. They both responded.

From Rusty Crowe:

Thanks for your note...Yes...I am with you on this and will sponsor legislation in the Senate to keep these names confidential.

Rusty

From Kent Williams:

Thank you for emailing me regarding handgun permit holders information being posted on the Commercial Appeal website. A statement from the Department of Safety is attached. I agree with you, the information should not be posted on the internet and presents a risk to permit holders. As a believer of second amendment rights, be assured that I will work to protect the second amendment. On a separate note, I fully intend for carry legislation to come to a full vote in the House.

If I can ever be of assistance, please be in touch.

Guest 2Flagal
Apparently it was there before the Cordova shooting but no one knew about it until now. The CA's justification for posting has been lame at best, but they have been touting it's presence and sudden notoriety in conjuction with that incident.

A member on another forum I am a member of wrote a letter to CA. This was the editor's reply. That scum is an NRA member

BTW....all someone needs to do is to google thw White pages and enter someones name and you get their address, so him taking the address out of the database is useless.

RE: commercialappeal.com Site Feedback [#2056]

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 11:02 AM

To: rkbartley@xxxxxx

Rosemary:

I appreciate your concern and please know I do not take it lightly.

Balancing the public's right to know with privacy concerns is always

very difficult. Because of the concerns you raised, and those raised by

others, we have removed the street address from the database.

Louis Graham

Asst. Managing Editor

Edited by 2Flagal