Handgun Carry Permit Database

Guest RedDog

Guest 2Flagal
Im not in there either. Someone needs to get us the papers editors and or owner address's and email add. and we could send them nice notes that we have their address also.

I can't find the editor but this might make you feel better. :D

For your enjoyment, using WhitePages.addresses.com, here's the managing staff of the Memphis Commercial Appeal:

Name Job Home Address City,State,Zip

Joseph Pepe president and publisher 3195 Wetherby Cv S Germantown, TN 38139

Steve Tomb VP of Operations 1846 Wildcreek Cv Collierville, TN 38017

Chris Peck editor 21 Belleair Dr Memphis, TN 38104

Otis Sanford editor/opinion & editorials 3396 Park Ave Memphis, TN 38111

Eric Janssen VP of Digital Media 8996 Stratfield Cv Germantown, TN 38139

Scott Sines managing editor 2136 Wentworth Ln Germantown, TN 38139

Daniel Moehle VP/Chief Financial Officer 3172 Devonshire Way Germantown, TN 38139

Karl Wurzbach VP of Sales and Marketing 3098 Bentwood Run Dr Collierville, TN 38017

Robert Jiranek VP of New Business Development 175 Waring Rd Memphis, TN 38117

Bob Pinarski Advertising director 3961 Herons Landing Ln Arlington, TN 38002

Denise Holman Manager of Classified Advertising 720 Litty Ct 103 Memphis, TN 38103

Paul Jewell Marketing director 1439 Vance Ave Memphis, TN 38104

First Tennessee Bank responded back to my objection that they provide key advertising funds to the Commercial Appeal. Sticking to their business as usual with the CA at this stage ... maybe enough collective withdrawals will get more attention Here's the reply ...

"Thank you for your business. We appreciate your taking the time to let us know about your concerns about our level of advertising in the Commercial Appeal.

When deciding to place advertisements we look for publications and websites that offer cost effective options to reach high numbers our customers and prospects. Placement of our Web and other advertising does not take into account views expressed by the content of individual pages or sections of publications where they appear. We recognize the value of a healthy debate. Unfortunately this means that our choices sometimes result in our ads appearing in publications that have written editorials or other actions that are objectionable to some of our customers. Please keep in mind that web advertising only pays the publication when readers click on the ads, so fewer clicks will directly translate into less revenue for the Commercial Appeal.

Thank you for sharing your views on this important topic. I respect any decision you feel you may need to make, but I hope that we can continue to serve as your banking partner."

Dan

Dan Marks

Chief Marketing Officer

First Tennessee

165 Madison Ave. 13th Floor

Memphis, TN 38103

dmarks@firsttennessee.com

Finally saw this on a national news program last night. I happened to flip on Fox News around midnight and notice they were talking about it on a show called "Red Eye". Did anybody see the whole thing and hear what they said about it?

Here is my resonse. I just don't get some people.........

"As a Tennessean I agree with the Memphis paper. Just as you have a right to own a gun, I have a right to know who owns a gun. I have a right to know if my children are playing at a home where firearms are present. I have a right to decide whether or not my child plays at that home. "

NO, YOU DO NOT! Tell us all where you are guaranteed that right. You have no right or business knowing who owns a gun, who carries a gun, just as you have no right to know what I carry in my pockets or keep in my home. That is based on the constitution of this country. What makes you so special that you are above the constitution of the United States?

This morning I received an e-mail from Commercial Appeal "Publisher" Joseph Pepe. His reply to me was attached to an e-mail I had sent to "Samuals Furniture" where I stated I would no longer shop at their store since they are advertising on the CA website and I gave the reason as the CA's publishing of the Carry Permit database.

Mr. Pepe said to me (paraphrasing) ... It's because of sick people like you that I'm glad we have a 2nd amendment.

I don't see how any of the following qualify one as "sick" ...

1) Exercising the right to receive a TN Firearm Carry Permit

2) Electing not to shop with vendors who advertise on the paper's website.

3) Sending e-mail firm but civil rebuttals to the editor, Mr.Pepe,Scripps, and wmctv.

Maybe anyone with a Carry Permit is "sick" in Mr. Pepe's opinion.

This morning I received an e-mail from Commercial Appeal "Publisher" Joseph Pepe. His reply to me was attached to an e-mail I had sent to "Samuals Furniture" where I stated I would no longer shop at their store since they are advertising on the CA website and I gave the reason as the CA's publishing of the Carry Permit database.

Mr. Pepe said to me (paraphrasing) ... It's because of sick people like you that I'm glad we have a 2nd amendment.

3) Sending e-mail firm but civil rebuttals to the editor, Mr.Pepe,Scripps, and wmctv.

What was his actual response? Why did he call you "sick"???

What was his actual response? Why did he call you "sick"???

Perhaps because he (Mr. Pepe) can dish it out, but he can't take it? :D

So you sent an email to an advertiser, the advertiser sent it to this Pepe guy and then he replied to you? Am I following this correctly??

Don’t paraphrase… what did he say? :D

Yes, DaveTN, it is as I described above.

I don't have still have his very brief e-mail to quote from; I deleted it before my wife saw it (she's a worrier over such things). She's got a lot on her mind these days and doesn't need more. Could kick myself for not keeping it now.

He stated to the effect - Because of sick people like you I am glad we have our second amendment right. It was attached to my e-mail to Samuals Furniture.

Either he thinks anyone with a Concealed Carry Permit is "sick" or he thought my firm rebuttal e-mails and notes to First Tennessee Bank and Samuals Furniture where inappropriate. Of course, none of my actions were inappropriate. I've also contacted my State Representative Glenn Casada pressing for passage of HB0221. Let's press on folks!!!

I do still have the e-mail to Samuals Furniture, nothing "sick" there for sure -

To:info@samuels-furniture.com

CC: peck@commercialappeal.com , jpepe@commercialappeal.com , corpcomm@scripps.com

I have been a customer of your business in the past. In view of the

concealed firearm holders database publication by the Commercial Appeal (Editor Chris Peck), I will no longer trade with your company since you are currently advertising on their website.

Please make sure the Commercial Appeal knows that you will be losing

future revenues because of their privacy invasion of law abiding citizens.

First Tennessee Bank responded back to my objection that they provide key advertising funds to the Commercial Appeal. Sticking to their business as usual with the CA at this stage ... maybe enough collective withdrawals will get more attention Here's the reply ...

Got the same exact reply.

Would have saved him (or, more likely, his secretary) a lot of typing if he had simply boiled the email down to its core message: "Piss off."

As most know the News Sentinel of Knoxville had placed a link to the Commercial Appeal's database of TN Concealed Carry Permit holders.

At 11:51 am today I received the below e-mail from Jack McElroy, editor ...

We have discontinued the link.

Jack McElroy

Editor

News Sentinel | knoxnews.com

Very good news! Now if the Commercial Appeal will see the error of their

way in originally posting the database and removes it pronto. :)

Guest savvysteve

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=HB0221

It looks like this has been talked about recently.

"Assigned to s/c Criminal Practice and Procedure of JUD 02/17/2009 "

Unfortunately this one had a stiffer penalty and was withdrawn.

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=HB0053

Everyone needs to write to their State Rep. and Senator about handgun permit application confidentiality and let them know you are in favor of ANY bill to get this done. HB0221 appears to be one that is still in limbo right now.

Is there a thread keeping up with this?

Guest savvysteve

I saw that Rep. Eddie Bass and Sen. Bill Ketron were the sponsors of this bill and emailed them the following emails. I am curious if I get a reply. Will let you know.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Rep. Bass,

I would like to ask you a question about HB 0221. I am not citizen of your district but am a TN resident. This issue is very important to everyone across the entire state. Would you please be kind enough to explain to me what "Assigned to s/c Criminal Practice and Procedure of JUD" that is showing up on the bills page really means?

In your opinion does this bill have a good chance to pass? How long do you think it may take for the citizens of your district and the state of TN to see this bill passed? I am by no means a great political mind especially when it comes to state level matters but don't know any other way to find out other than to ask.

Thanks for your time. If you wouldn't mind I would like to post your response to some online forums where other concerned citizens want to see this bill pass.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senator Ketron,

I would like to ask you a question about SB 0172. I am not citizen of your district but am a TN resident. This issue is very important to everyone across the entire state. Would you please be kind enough to explain to me what "Assigned to s/c Criminal Practice and Procedure of JUD" and/or "P2C, ref. to S. Jud Comm." that is showing up on the bills page really means?

In your opinion does this bill have a good chance to pass? How long do you think it may take for the citizens of your district and the state of TN to see this bill passed? I am by no means a great political mind especially when it comes to state level matters but don't know any other way to find out other than to ask.

Thanks for your time. If you wouldn't mind I would like to post your response to some online forums where other concerned citizens want to see this bill pass.

Edited by savvysteve
Decided to email Ketron too...
As most know the News Sentinel of Knoxville had placed a link to the Commercial Appeal's database of TN Concealed Carry Permit holders.

Jack McElroy

Editor

way in originally posting the database and removes it pronto. :whistle:

Link is still there:

http://weblinks.knoxnews.com/

Unfortunately this one had a stiffer penalty and was withdrawn.

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=HB0053

According to Rep. Bass, this one had less chance of passing due to higher financial consequences. The felony could require jail time, which we get to pay for. Anything that requires the state to spend more money is going to be hard to pass.

He introduced another bill (sorry, I don't have the number handy) with a misdemeanor penalty to keep the financial note down on the bill.

RE: Quote:

Originally Posted by Djay1

Jack McElroy

Editor

way in originally posting the database and removes it pronto.

Link is still there:

Well as pointed out to me this evening the link is still there!!! :whistle:

Sent a followup e-mail to McElroy just now!

Just now (7:35 pm) Mr. McElroy of News Sentinel said ...

"Thanks. I was told it was done. I will follow up."

Let's check tomorrow and see if the link is indeed removed. Thanks to Garufa for pointing this out.

Guest JeepMonkey

Liberals vs. Conservatives:

The Liberal way:

"Thanks. I was told it was done. I will follow up."

EDITED: The Conservative way:

"Sir I greatly apologize that a former writer put the link up in the first place. I now have someone else's nuts mounted above my mantle for not taking that mistake down the first time I ordered. The entire web team has been fired and replaced. Take my word for it that the link will never be on my paper's website again.
:whistle: Edited by JeepMonkey

Too Much Information? Critics Decry Sites That Mine Public Data

Friday, February 20, 2009

By Joshua Rhett Miller

If you want to know the names of people in Tennessee who have permits to carry concealed weapons ... or the folks who contributed their money in support of California's ballot measure to ban gay marriage ... the answers are just a few keystrokes away.

And that's too close for comfort, some privacy law experts say.

To some, it's all about the public's right to know. But for others, it's too much information. Transparency, they say, can lead to intimidation, harassment and even death threats.

Increased listing of public information by political activists and media organizations has led some to question whether posting data made public through state campaign finance disclosure laws and other methods exceeds the public's right to know.

Some also fear that the burgeoning pool of public information will ultimately discourage people from participating in the political process — precisely what the regulations were intended to promote.

In Memphis, Tenn., executives at the daily newspaper The Commercial Appeal said they received as many as 600 e-mails per day and dozens of phone calls after they posted a database on their Web site that listed every resident who has a permit to carry a concealed weapon in the state.

"Maps to [the executives'] houses, with ominous warnings, had been posted online," Commercial Appeal Editor Chris Peck wrote in an article defending the newspaper's decision.

Peck, who did not respond to numerous requests for comment, cited public safety as a key reason the newspaper decided to produce the database.

"It's a tiny bit of local information, and we're in that business of gathering and distributing local information," Peck wrote. " … But there isn't much room to go back on this mixing of news in print with data online. If it's not The Commercial Appeal doing this, then it will be Google or a hundred Web sites."

One such Web site, eightmaps.com, provides a "mash-up" of a Google map and the names and ZIP codes of people who donated to California's Proposition 8 ballot measure. In some cases, even the donor's employer is provided.

Several supporters of Prop 8 told FOXNews.com last month that they expected harassment to continue after a federal judge denied a request to keep private the names of donors to the initiative. One donor who gave $30,000 to support the measure recalled a voicemail he received saying, "What goes around comes around, and now you're going to experience the comes around part."

Some legal experts say they expect hundreds of Web sites like eightmaps.com to appear, and that federal legislation will be needed to control the mining of public data.

"Just because it's public information doesn't mean it should be aggregated and shared. This is a problem," Dr. Anita Allen, a professor of law and philosophy at the University of Pennsylvania, told FOXNews.com.

Allen said she could envision lawsuits arising from the Commercial Appeal's database. While the information listed is indeed public, she said, it's scattered in various public sources, giving it "practical obscurity."

"If you can show a direct, causal link between the posting of that data on the Web site and a crime, I could imagine liability," she said. "If I were a personal injury lawyer, I would consider accepting such a case."

John Harris, executive director of the Tennessee Firearms Association, said no instances of threats or intimidation have been reported by his members in connection with the newspaper's database, but he cited a "tremendous" amount of anti-gun owner activity on local blogs.

"The public disclosure is clearly driven for either intimidation purposes or as a general deterrent, saying unless you don't want to see your name, don't get a gun permit," Harris told FOXNews.com. "Is it more destructive than relevant?"

The potential for harm has led State Sen. Mark Norris to introduce a bill that would make it illegal to disclose the names of people who have permits to carry concealed weapons.

"This is going to be a catalyst, at least in Tennessee, to force the passage of legislation to make this information confidential and protected," Harris, a Republican, said. "We feel certain the state Senate will pass it quickly."

But some privacy law experts say that a "true threat" must be established for such a site to be held liable, and they cite a Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals decision in 2002 that shut down the Nuremberg Files, a Web site that published the names, addresses and telephone numbers of abortion providers.

"Absent that, publishers are free to republish public information," said Chris Jay Hoofnagle, director of the Berkeley Center for Law & Technology's information privacy programs. "If it appears in the public record, courts will likely not intervene."

Hoofnagle continued, "This is the modern problem of public records. They are public, but they exist in practical obscurity. It's much like how music companies didn't foresee that consumers would rip CDs. It was thought that their sheer size would make ripping CDs impractical. Something similar happened with public records."

Despite calls since 2002 by privacy experts like George Washington University Law School Professor Daniel Solove to analyze the constitutionality of public record systems and problematic digital biographies, the problem remains largely unabated, legal experts say.

"We need to rethink our notions of public versus private," Allen said. "Maybe we need to put a privacy cloak around even more public data. If you really want to attack this problem, you might want to think about a federal law about mining public data."

pokey

Links and References to Other Pages:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,497285,00.html