Handgun Carry Permit Database

Guest RedDog

Guest Schwarzgebrannt
I will mirror it on my server too.

Since there's a bunch of us with the resources, we should use multiple pages with minor modifications on each and crosslink, brings things up higher in search rankings.

Guest Schwarzgebrannt

In all fairness, Disorderly Conduct is a catch all that usually means "I didn't have anything to arrest him for but the peasant irritated me."

Guest JohnnyMac

Somebody posted my earlier info onto the comments section of a Commercial Appeal article. CA cut the comments. But the comments are back for now.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/feb/12/letters-to-the-editor-thursday/

QUICK! Before you do anything else, cut and paste this comment into another document. Then remove the asterisks (*) in the body of the message, so that the hyperlinks will work.

Since I originally posted this info earlier today, the Commercial Appeal has removed my earlier post in its entirety. They have also modified their comments filter (dirty word list) so that it will exclude the names of Editor Chris Pecks wife, daughter, and son (K*thleen, S*arah, and C*ody).

BTW, C*ody C. Peck was arrested last November by MPD for Disorderly Conduct.

I'm not sure how long this post will stay up, but I believe that turnabout is fair play. The newspaper, the Memphis Commercial Appeal has created an online searchable database of Tenn CCW holders on it's website. While the information posted by the MCA is public record, posting this information in such a way IS NOT in the public interest. What the MCA has done is put families at risk. The decision to create the database rests ultimately with the editor of the newspaper, Chris Peck. With that in mind, I am posting the following information that was taken from free, publicly-available Internet sites.

http://www.mediagiraffe.org/wiki/imag...

a>

http://www.accuracyproject.org/cbe-Pe...]Link to On-Line Dossier of Chris Peck[/url]

Work Address:

The Commercial Appeal

495 Union Ave.

Memphis, TN, 38103

Work Phone: 9*01-529-2390

Work E-mail: peck@commercialappeal.com

Home Address:

2*1 Belleair Dr

Memphis, TN 38104-2726

Home Phone: 9*01-276-8314

http://switchboard.intelius.com/map.p...]Link To Map and Aerial Photo of Chris Peck's Home[/url]

http://www.facebook.com/people/Chris-...]Link Chris Peck's Facebook Page (pictured with his lovely wife)[/url]

a>

http://www.facebook.com/people/K*ate-...]Ka*thleen Mary Duignan's Facebook Page[/url]

a>

http://www.facebook.com/people/Co*dy-...]Chris Peck's son's (Co*dy C. Peck) Facebook Page[/url]

a>

http://www.facebook.com/people/Sar* ah-K-Peck/14839]Chris Peck's daughter's (Sa*rah K*athleen Peck) Facebook Page[/url]

a>

I've got a bunch more archived, but this should do for a start.

Ban me, if you will, but those that wish to deprive us of our God-given rights deserved to be "hoisted on their own pittard".

It says NOLLE PROSEQUI (which means he was not prosecuted).

Ah. Sorry, Latin fail.

In all fairness, Disorderly Conduct is a catch all that usually means "I didn't have anything to arrest him for but the peasant irritated me."

:tough: Or the "peasant" was acting outrageously and was taken into custody before his behavior could escalate further. Ya know into like a felony or something.

Guest Mugster
Somebody posted my earlier info onto the comments section of a Commercial Appeal article. CA cut the comments. But the comments are back for now.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/feb/12/letters-to-the-editor-thursday/

I recommend a methodical posting of this in every feedback spot on their website regardless of subject. I'm sure one of you guys can script this. Hit em about 2am tonight with it. Might hold up all weekend.

Nope…. We called that “Failure to do right on Friday night.” (Or whatever night it happened to be.) :shake:

In all fairness, a Disorderly Conduct charge is usually not understood by the arrested for one of three reasons…

1. Massive amounts of alcohol are involved and the arrested has no idea what they did to get arrested.

2. The person lacks basic social skills and does not understand that their behavior is bizarre.

3. They believe that they have some kind of Right to behave the way they are, and usually have to have a Prosecutor, Judge or even their own Lawyer explain to them the error of their ways.

Guest Schwarzgebrannt
Nope…. We called that “Failure to do right on Friday night.” (Or whatever night it happened to be.) :shake:

In all fairness, a Disorderly Conduct charge is usually not understood by the arrested for one of three reasons…

1. Massive amounts of alcohol are involved and the arrested has no idea what they did to get arrested.

2. The person lacks basic social skills and does not understand that their behavior is bizarre.

3. They believe that they have some kind of Right to behave the way they are, and usually have to have a Prosecutor, Judge or even their own Lawyer explain to them the error of their ways.

I'm just repeating, although not verbatim, what an long time cop told me. Open carry is a great way to get arrested for Disorderly Conduct in some cities around here, still, even if you don't break any laws and don't mouth off. :drama:

Back on topic, how many women who went into hiding and got a CCW because of abusive ex husbands and stalkers are going to be assaulted or killed now that their name and address can instantly be searched up? How many children are going to be harmed when the crazy "uncle" that their mother ran away from shows up on their front porch? That's another club we should use to beat them with.

Since it is becoming apparent that the staff of the Commercial Appeal does not care about the opinion of the public they are supposedly serving, it is time to take this one step farther - to the people who pay them for advertisement space. After poking around on their webpage for a while, I have found these companies/organizations that have taken out paid advertisements at the Commercial Appeal webpage (if you find any more, please leave a comment with their name and contact information):

First Tennessee Bank - contact page link.

Serenity Day Spa - contact email.

Cellular South - contact page link.

Royal Furniture - contact email.

Samuel's Furniture - contact email.

Southland Chrysler Jeep - contact page link.

Lord's Tabernacle Bible Institute - contact email.

Briarcrest Christian School - contact email (for the school's president).

And I took the time to send them all a copy of this email:

Sir or ma'am,

My name is [NAME], and I am a proud Tennessee resident and handgun carry permit holder. It has come to my attention that your company has paid advertisements on the webpage of the Commercial Appeal, a newspaper that has decided to violate the privacy of hundreds of thousands of my fellow law-abiding Tennessee citizens by having a public, searchable database of handgun carry permit holders (
).

I understand that the information available on that database is, unfortunately, public data, freely accessible to those who would be interested in it. However, the extent to which the editors of the Commercial Appeal published this information goes far beyond the public's specious "right to know", and ventures far into the realms of personal intrusion, privacy violation, and possible endangerment.

I procured my handgun carry permit to more adequately defend myself and my family from those who would do me harm. As a rule, I do not make my possession of this permit public knowledge, not out of some misplaced sense of shame, but rather as a continuation of my desire for safety, security, and privacy. Unfortunately, this new database puts all handgun carry permit holders at risk, not only in their homes, but also on the streets. Handgun carry permit holders would only have the permit if they possessed an expensive item that would yield a high price on a streetcorner deal, or be of great use to a criminal looking to expand his rap sheet, and now, with the information available on the Commercial Appeal webpage, those law-breakers know exactly where to find hardware to potentially steal. Furthermore, simply walking down the street turns into a concern, should a criminal happen to visually know someone in this database, and wish to relieve that person of his firearm, or "prove" himself to his buddies by standing up to the big, bad permit holder.

Additionally, this database has been categorized under "Public Safety" at the Commercial Appeal webpage, along with three databases of criminals and two databases of accidents. Handgun carry permit holders, by their very definition, are not criminals, they are not "accidents", nor are they a risk to public safety, and the implications and insinuations generated by this assocation are distasteful to the extreme.

As a law-abiding citizen, a handgun-carry permit holder, and a concerned husband, I will not purchase any products or services you or your subsidiaries offer until such time as either you withdraw your advertisement from the Commercial Appeal webpage, or the Commercial Appeal staff takes down the database in question. I simply cannot bring myself to patronize a company that financially supports the possible endangerment of law-abiding citizens through the invasion of their privacy.

Please be advised - this letter, as well as any response you send, will be posted at my website (
).

Thank you for your time,

[NAME].

Granted, this is just a shortened, modified version of my initial letter to the Commercial Appeal, but it should get the point across. Feel free to copy-paste, edit, and use either of them to your own devices.

Two, last, interrelated thoughts: First, fully 50% of the random advertisements that show up on the Commercial Appeal webpage are, in fact, links to their subsidiary, specialized pages. The other half are just the above companies' advertisements repeating over and over and over again. Second, since they have so few advertisers, hitting the Commercial Appeal in the pocket book will be very easy for us to do.

Have at it.

Additionally, this database has been categorized under "Public Safety" at the Commercial Appeal webpage, along with three databases of criminals and two databases of accidents. Handgun carry permit holders, by their very definition, are not criminals, they are not "accidents", nor are they a risk to public safety, and the implications and insinuations generated by this assocation are distasteful to the extreme.

I really liked this part. :death:

Wow! Nothing like posting stuff like names, birthdays, and addresses to convince folks to get their HCP and be legal. I think the end result of the Commercial Appeal is to force folks to carry illegally without getting a HCP so they won't get their names published.

The dummies at the Commercial Appeal don't realize that criminals don't give two hoots about the law and carry anyway and criminals aren't in the HCP database.

So, in the end, they (liberal media) are making things worse, not better. They are punishing those who respect the laws. How un-American!

Guest JeepMonkey
So, in the end, they (liberal media) are making things worse, not better. They are punishing those who respect the laws. How un-American!
What else is new? :death:
Guest JohnnyMac
Isn't all this the same thing permit holders did in Virginia or Kentucky?? How did their outrage turn out??

When the Roanoke Times pulled its online database of Virginia CCW holders, they claimed that they pulled the plug because they were concerned with the "accuracy of the information supplied by the Virginia State Police". B*LLSH*T! They pulled the plug after their major advertisers were threatened with a boycott by gunowners. Gunowners, using publicly-accessible data on the Web, also exposed the lead reporter's criminal past of substance abuse and lewd behavior.

I'd suggest picking out one or two of the papers major advertisers and have gunowners threaten a boycott. It's better to concentrate your efforts, so as to make the effect as powerful as possible. Southland Chrysler Jeep and 1st Tennessee Bank are probably the most susceptible to pressure right now.

JMc

Here's a comment posted in this morning's paper- The U of M basketball coach's wife has a HCP.

We'll see if the CA thinks if publishing this info is ia good thing.

Posted by Mary_Prankster on February 14, 2009 at 7:11 a.m.

Here's something interesting, huh? Thanks Commercial Appeal.

Last Name CALIPARI (Yes, it is his wife)

First Name SUE

Middle Name ELLEN

Suffix

Birth year 1956

City MEMPHIS

State TN

ZIP 38111

Issue Date 7/12/2007

Expiration Date 7/12/2011

Guest RISC777
The database drew little notice until the owner of a handgun-carry permit was charged with a shooting death that ended an argument over a parking space last week at a Cordova restaurant.
Doesn't matter when or why or how it was "discovered," it shouldn't be available to the public in that manner.
Protesters include those who believe it raises the risk of a home burglary for people on the list and those who say it makes a burglary more likely for those who aren't.
That is not the only reason it is protested.

This page believes the public's right to the information outweighs those considerations. Handgun-carry permit holders have been granted a privilege that not everyone in the public enjoys, and without the list the public has no way of determining whether permits are being granted to people who shouldn't have them.

Are dangerous felons somehow obtaining permits to go about armed in public? The public has no way of finding out without access to a list of who has them.

The State of Tennessee issues, back ground checks, some law enforcement agencies provide the required safety courses . . . dangerous felons aren't going to get and won't bother with attempting to secure a carry permit. "The public" is going to find out and determine if a dangerous felon has a permit ??? WTH??

Those (CA) people are just simply idiots(?)!

I felt my blood pressure going up and had to quit reading their inanity. Might go back for more later on.

I check out the links a few of the fellow members posted. If y'all are serious about putting their names out because it is indeed public record and if y'all need support for it, then i am willing to help. If this means that The CA will remove that database then i am for it.

I'd suggest picking out one or two of the papers major advertisers and have gunowners threaten a boycott. It's better to concentrate your efforts, so as to make the effect as powerful as possible. Southland Chrysler Jeep and 1st Tennessee Bank are probably the most susceptible to pressure right now.

Hear hear. Their contact information is above, and writing the letter is not hard. Considering how few honest advertisers the Commercial Appeal has, this should not be hard.

And thanks, fivestring63 :drool:.

Guest David Waldrip

Today's (Saturday) editorial in the CA. What a bunch of biased garbage, but we knew that.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/feb/14/editorials-another-attack-on-open-files/

Editorial: Another attack on open files

The public's right to information about who has the privilege outweighs privacy concerns.

By Staff Reports

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Encouraged by adverse reaction to a database on this newspaper's Web site, some Tennessee legislators want to make the list of gun-carry permit holders an exception to the state open records law.

Passage of the exception, one of several bills dealing with gun laws that have been introduced this year, would constitute a hasty retreat from the effort to make state government more transparent.

The list of gun permit holders should not be equated with medical records, investigative notes of the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, plans for how to handle riots in state prisons and other legitimate exceptions to the open records law.

The public, for any number of reasons, simply has a right to know who has been issued a permit to carry a handgun in public, just as it has a right to know who's licensed to practice medicine and who knows enough about the law to represent clients in court.

Making the list confidential would erode Tennessee's progress on the open government front. It would be a knee-jerk reaction to the recent discovery of a searchable database that has been posted on The Commercial Appeal Web site for two months.

The database drew little notice until the owner of a handgun-carry permit was charged with a shooting death that ended an argument over a parking space last week at a Cordova restaurant.

Protesters include those who believe it raises the risk of a home burglary for people on the list and those who say it makes a burglary more likely for those who aren't.

Proponents of the exception also raise the argument that, like the confidential information on driver's license records, information on gun carry permit records can be used for illegitimate purposes.

This page believes the public's right to the information outweighs those considerations. Handgun-carry permit holders have been granted a privilege that not everyone in the public enjoys, and without the list the public has no way of determining whether permits are being granted to people who shouldn't have them.

Are dangerous felons somehow obtaining permits to go about armed in public? The public has no way of finding out without access to a list of who has them.

Neither does this page support a flurry of bills that have been introduced this year to allow handguns to be carried into restaurants that serve alcohol, state and local parks and schools and to exempt from criminal prosecution people who shoot others in the protection of their property.

Such measures have always had the powerful support of the Tennessee Firearms Association and the National Rifle Association. They're said to stand a better chance of passing this year as a result of the new Republican majority in the General Assembly.

But police annals are filled with too many arguments that escalated to deadly violence to justify further proliferation of handguns in public. The cost in lives would be too high.

Guest JohnnyMac

http://www.commercialappeal.com/staff/

Contacts

The Commercial Appeal

495 Union Ave.

Memphis, TN, 38103

901-529-2345

800-444-6397

Circulation - 529-2666 (Subscriber Services)

Advertising - 529-2251

Classified Advertising - 529-2700

Online Advertising - 529-5299 (Online Media Kit)

News Tips - 529-2322

Online Department (commercialappeal.com) - 529-2464

Use our feedback submission form »

Staff Directory

Joseph Pepe - president and publisher

Steve Tomb - VP of Operations

Chris Peck - editor

Otis Sanford - editor/opinion & editorials

Eric Janssen - VP of Digital Media

Scott Sines - managing editor

Daniel Moehle - VP/Chief Financial Officer

Karl Wurzbach - VP of Sales and Marketing

Robert Jiranek - VP of New Business Development

Bob Pinarski - Advertising director

Denise Holman - Manager of Classified Advertising

Paul Jewell - Marketing director

Staff

* Trevor Aaronson (Projects reporter)

* Randall Ashley

* Clay Bailey

* Tom Bailey

* Tom Bailey Jr.

* William C. Bayne (Desoto reporter)

* David Beene

* John Beifuss (Movie reviewer)

* Jennifer Biggs (Memphis Dining reviewer)

* Christopher Blank

* Nikki Boertman (Staff photographer)

* David Boyd

* Barbara Bradley (Features reporter)

* Eugene Brady

* Bryan Brasher (Outdoors reporter)

* Paul Briney (Online Site Designer)

* Mike Brown (Staff photographer)

* Peggy Burch (Freelance editor)

* Lawrence Buser (Courts reporter)

* Thomas Busler (Staff photographer)

* Scott Cacciola (SEC reporter)

* Geoff Calkins (Sports columnist)

* Jody Callahan (Reporter)

* Marshall Camp (Page designer)

* Stan Carroll

* Christopher Causie

* Tom Charlier (Sunday and Projects editor)

* Jacinthia Christopher (Zones editor)

* Kimberly Coleman (Art Director)

* Christopher Conley

* Daniel Connolly (Business reporter)

* Dennis Copeland (Online Video Content Manager)

* Jimmie Covington (Reporter)

* Matthew Craig (Staff photographer)

* Kerry Crawford

* Kyra Cross

* Mark Crum

* Dave Darnell (Photo editor/administration)

* Anna Davis (Asst. Metro editor)

* Bill Day (Cartoonist)

* Chris Desmond

* Michael Donahue (Memphis nightlife and area music writer)

* Alex Doniach (Shelby County Government reporter)

* Jeni Donlon (City Editor)

* James Dowd (Business reporter)

* Sherri Drake

* Sherri Drake Silence

* Hank Dudding

* Hank Dudding

* LeRoy Emerson (Manager of Planning & Operations/Advertising)

* Michael Erskine

* William Fason

* David Flaum (Business reporter)

* Russell Fly

* Karen Focht (Staff photographer)

* Blake Fontenay

* Bill Frazier

* John Gaiser (Sr. Online Designer)

* Lela Garlington

* Lela Garlington

* Carolyn Gause (Zones Editor Germantown-Collierville)

* Daniel Ginsburg

* Kristina Goetz (Projects reporter)

* Louis Graham (AME/News)

* Stacey Greenberg

* Teri Hayslett

* David Healy

* David Healy

* Ron Higgins (SEC Football reporter)

* Denise Holman (Classified Advertising Manager)

* Stefanie Holmes

* Tommy Hornsby

* Eric Janssen (VP of Digital Media)

* Paul Jewell (Director of Marketing)

* Rob Jiranek (VP of New Business Development)

* Claude Jones (Photo lab technician)

* Jacinthia Jones

* Stephanie Jones

* Yolanda Jones

* Michael Kelley

* Emily Keplinger

* Mike Kerr (Night News Editor)

* Suzanne Kerr

* Cassandra Kimberly (Business reporter)

* Fredric Koeppel

* Ashley Kumpe

* Toni Lepeska

* Richard Locker (Nashville Bureau chief)

* Marilyn Loeffel

* Michael Lollar

* Amos Maki (City Hall reporter)

* Gary Mangum

* Mike Maple (Staff photographer)

* Jim Masilak (Business reporter)

* Ronald Maxey (DeSoto Appeal editor)

* Jeff McAdory (Photo editor)

* Kevin McDaniel

* Tom McDaniel (Support Staff Manager)

* Shane McDermott

* Melissa McIntosh

* Kevin McKenzie

* Peggy McKenzie (AME/Features)

* Zack McMillin

* Michael McMullan (Photo assignment editor)

* Bob Mehr (Memphis and national music writer and critic)

* Lindsay Melvin

* Daniel Moehle (VP/Chief Financial Officer)

* Linda Moore

* Courtney Morgan

* Marlon W. Morgan (NBA/Grizzlies reporter)

* Lance Murphey (Staff photographer)

* Megan Murphy

* Stephanie Norton

* Kim Odom (Community Editor - Cordova)

* James Overstreet (Business editor)

* Chris Peck (Editor)

* Joseph Pepe (Publisher)

* Marc Perrusquia

* Bob Pinarski (Advertising Director)

* Mary Powers

* Associated Press

* Lee Gattas Proctor (National Online Key Accounts Manager)

* Karen Pulfer Focht (Staff photographer)

* Michael Rabkin (News editor)

* Candace Rector

* Mark Richens

* Wayne Risher (Business reporter)

* Jane Roberts (Education reporter)

* Bryan Robinson (Online Site Producer)

* Gary Robinson (Online News Editor)

* Rebecca Rothfuss

* John Sale (AME/Visuals)

* Otis L. Sanford (Editor/Opinion and Editorials)

* John Schoembs

* Scott Sines (Managing Editor)

* Andrew Smith

* Jason Smith (Prep sports reporter)

* Jon Sparks

* Alan Spearman (Staff photographer)

* Jennifer Spillers

* John Stamm (Executive News Editor)

* Cathryn Stout (Features reporter)

* Phil Stukenborg (Tiger football reporter)

* Bart Sullivan

* Bartholomew Sullivan

* Bartholomew Sullivan (Washington correspondent)

* Sherry Tate (Consumer Marketing Manager)

* Wendi C. Thomas (Local columnist)

* Ronald Tillery (Grizzlies reporter)

* Steve Tomb (VP of Operations)

* Lindsey Turner

* Carla Underwood

* Chris Van Tuyl

* John Varlas

* Craig Wack (Auto racing reporter)

* Don Wade

* Mark Watson

* Holly Weber

* Jim Weber (Staff photographer)

* Mark Weber (Staff photographer)

* Brian Wentzloff (Online Site Developer)

* David Williams (Sports Content Editor)

* Peggy Winburne (M Editor)

* Lacey Winters (Online Video Producer)

* Cindy Wolff

* Dan Wolken (Tiger basketball reporter)

* Matthew Woo

* Jerome Wright

* Karl Wurzbach (VP of Sales and Marketing)

Does anyone know how to setup a script to run all these names through the available online search tools?:cry: