Carry Pistol

Guest Terry J

Guest Terry J

Ok i am thinking of picking up the taurus mellinium pro for a carry weapon. Im looking at the pt-111 9mm. I know the older versions had issues that are supposedly worked out in the new model pro. I have 2 taurus pistols and a revolver already and they are great with absolutely no issues but i need something smaller. I also have my glock .357sig and I really like it also but the smaller version dont fit my big ape hand like the pt-111 does. Does anyone have one of these and do you like it/ have any issues with it?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard the MilPros are vastly improved... I hope so, my initial experiences with Taurus left much to be desired. But, if it fits your hand... sounds like a good bet to me.

tnroadrunner carries one, if he sees this I hope he'll chime in with his evaluation... I haven't handled the new ones much, myself.

Guest Terry J

Well I have a 92 in 9mm and 100AR in .40 and a raging bull 454 casull and all of them are great guns but the first 2 are almost identical to a berreta and revolvers are usually pretty decent anyway but i wasnt sure about this new style since the older ones have had so many issues.

Aye, their revolvers and full-size pistols are fine and dandy... well-made on tooling from other manufacturers. I wouldn't hesitate to carry a 92/99/100/101, or one of their revolvers... but their Millenniums had some teething problems, and their pocket .22s and .25s have even more issues than their Beretta counterparts. Unfortunatly, my experience was with an example of each of the latter :eek:

Guest Terry J
The one and only Millennium handgun that I have held to date (9mm) felt like it was competing against Glock for the prestigious Worst Ergonomics Ever award.

:eek:

I really like my glock 31 but the 33 in the sig is just to small for my hands. I wish i could find a 357 sig that was small as the mill-pro and fit my hand at the same time.

I really like my glock 31 but the 33 in the sig is just to small for my hands. I wish i could find a 357 sig that was small as the mill-pro and fit my hand at the same time.

Ever tried a Sig P239 or an H&K P2000? Those are very similar in size, have excellent grips, and are available in .357sig... (I'm thinking about selling my P239, as a matter of fact...)

Guest Terry J

HMM interesting. Im going to the gun shop this weekend to check some out. Ill have to check those out and see how they fit. What are you wanting for your sig?

HMM interesting. Im going to the gun shop this weekend to check some out. Ill have to check those out and see how they fit. What are you wanting for your sig?

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1459

I'm asking $500. That's easily what these are going for on gunbroker.com & such... It's a bi-tone (stainless slide), in great shape, and I've got a nice leather Don Hume 721OT and belt to go with it (saddle brown). Comes with 3 factory mags, Hogue grips, and recently tuned up (all new springs in the gun and mags, new grip screws... factory Sig parts). It's a shooter, too... Very fun.

If you're already into the .357sig caliber, it's worthwhile to experience it out of a real Sig :eek:

Ever thought about the XDSC using 9mm +P? Ballistically the same as 357. It will fit in your hand and not break your bank. If you insist on 357 the service is not that big. I carry mine daily.

True, from the short barrel you're only losing 100-150fps using hot 9mm over low-end .357sig. The difference will probably not be a deal-breaker.

The grip on the XD service isn't much bigger than the grip on a millenium... but it is noticable. I can conceal mine without issue.

Guest Terry J

See now im all confrused. I thought I knew what i wanted now im just gonna have to go back to the gun shop and spend another couple hours trying everything out again. I was thinking of going with the 9mm mostly because of size. I reload so ammo price is not an issue. That and my girlfriends dad usually gives me a bunch of ammo in various sizes all the time. Police men seem to get all the cool stuff.

• Administrator

Here, let me screw it up even more for you...

109005_large.jpg

Smith & Wesson M&P Compact .357SIG

SKU: 109005 Model: M&P

Caliber: .357 Sig.

Capacity: 10+1

Barrel Length: 3.5"

Front Sight: Steel Ramp Dovetail Mount (Tritium Sights Optional)

Rear Sight: Steel Novak® Lo-Mount Carry (Tritium Sights Optional)

Trigger Pull: 6.5 lbs.

Trigger Travel: Rest to Fire .300 in.

Trigger Reset: Approx. .140 in.

Frame: Compact

Finish: Slide and Barrel Black Melonite®, 68 HRc

Overall Length: 6.7"

Material: Zytel Polymer Frame, Stainless Steel Barrel/Slide and Structural Components

Weight Empty (No Mag): 22.2 oz.

Overall Height: 4.3"

Width: 1.2"

Sight Length: 5.75"

:up:

My daily carry gun is an M&P Compact .40SW and my wife's is a 9mm. We love these little guns.

Guest Terry J

ooohhh aaahhh!!! I like that one. Maybe the gun shop will have one i can try out. Now I got all kinds of interesting choices. Im gonna have to make a list before i go. It would be really nice to go there and just say I want one of these and one of these and one of these and be able to actually afford it.

Guest looneeetunes

terry j i carry a taurus milpro pt145 and i love it it feels great and shoots great for a compact. i have a keltec p-40 that is on the p11 frame and it competes with it on size just a little bit wider

Guest sermon8r
Here, let me screw it up even more for you...

109005_large.jpg

Smith & Wesson M&P Compact .357SIG

SKU: 109005 Model: M&P

Caliber: .357 Sig.

Capacity: 10+1

Barrel Length: 3.5"

Front Sight: Steel Ramp Dovetail Mount (Tritium Sights Optional)

Rear Sight: Steel Novak® Lo-Mount Carry (Tritium Sights Optional)

Trigger Pull: 6.5 lbs.

Trigger Travel: Rest to Fire .300 in.

Trigger Reset: Approx. .140 in.

Frame: Compact

Finish: Slide and Barrel Black Melonite®, 68 HRc

Overall Length: 6.7"

Material: Zytel Polymer Frame, Stainless Steel Barrel/Slide and Structural Components

Weight Empty (No Mag): 22.2 oz.

Overall Height: 4.3"

Width: 1.2"

Sight Length: 5.75"

:D

My daily carry gun is an M&P Compact .40SW and my wife's is a 9mm. We love these little guns.

This is the way to go if you dont want to by a Sig ...... Easy to Hide :D and a GREAT :D Trigger

Guest Terry J

Ok I went to the range yesterday and tried the M&P 9mm and was not really impressed. It fit pretty well but shot horrible. I wanted to try the Mill Pro ( but they didnt have one for rental. I realize when you loose barrel inches its gonna affect your spread but at 10 yds my group with my 357 glock 31 is about 3-4 inches. the M&P was about 12 inches. Now it could have been the ammo since it was the tennessee reloads or whatever there called in the orange box but shooting 12 at a time for a 100 rounds i would think they would have gotten better. Now at 5 yards it does get better but hell i can throw rocks with the same accuracy at that distance. Maybe im wrong and thats good for a compact.. I have never shot an auto compact before but I have shot plenty Stubby 38's and their pretty accurate. What do yall think?

• Administrator
Ok I went to the range yesterday and tried the M&P 9mm and was not really impressed. It fit pretty well but shot horrible. I wanted to try the Mill Pro ( but they didnt have one for rental. I realize when you loose barrel inches its gonna affect your spread but at 10 yds my group with my 357 glock 31 is about 3-4 inches. the M&P was about 12 inches.

I don't want to Monday Morning Quarterback you here, but it sounds like you were jerking the trigger and causing your shots to go wide. I have no problem getting very tight groups out of either of our M&P compacts. Granted, the trigger on these guns is a little gritty at first but it does smooth out with use... and really shines if you have a competent gunsmith smooth it out for you.

Besides, a compact handgun shouldn't be considered for sharpshooting. If you're wanting accuracy, get a 5" bbl single-action. As long as the compact can put it's bullets into a man-sized target at 10 yds or less, I'd say it is doing the job it was intended to do. But most of them are capable of being way more accurate than that; the M&P included.

Guest Terry J
I don't want to Monday Morning Quarterback you here, but it sounds like you were jerking the trigger and causing your shots to go wide. I have no problem getting very tight groups out of either of our M&P compacts. Granted, the trigger on these guns is a little gritty at first but it does smooth out with use... and really shines if you have a competent gunsmith smooth it out for you.

Besides, a compact handgun shouldn't be considered for sharpshooting. If you're wanting accuracy, get a 5" bbl single-action. As long as the compact can put it's bullets into a man-sized target at 10 yds or less, I'd say it is doing the job it was intended to do. But most of them are capable of being way more accurate than that; the M&P included.

Dont get me wrong i have no misconceptions that it might have been me and it would probably take a bit more getting used to but very rarely have I ever not been able to pick up a pistol and after 100 rds not had a decent feel for the way its going to shoot and be able to group a set together decently at 10 yds. Its not really that far. As far as accuracy maybe my expectations are a tad high but thats just me. If I had gotten to shoot my ammo maybe it would have made a difference also who knows. It will definatley be one ill try again in the future since i like the way it fits my hand.

Ok I went to the range yesterday and tried the M&P 9mm and was not really impressed. It fit pretty well but shot horrible. I wanted to try the Mill Pro ( but they didnt have one for rental. I realize when you loose barrel inches its gonna affect your spread but at 10 yds my group with my 357 glock 31 is about 3-4 inches. the M&P was about 12 inches. Now it could have been the ammo since it was the tennessee reloads or whatever there called in the orange box but shooting 12 at a time for a 100 rounds i would think they would have gotten better. Now at 5 yards it does get better but hell i can throw rocks with the same accuracy at that distance. Maybe im wrong and thats good for a compact.. I have never shot an auto compact before but I have shot plenty Stubby 38's and their pretty accurate. What do yall think?

I think that everything in life is application driven and that quality Tupperware compacts cannot be compared to quality revolvers. You shouldn’t even be using sights with a compact so as long as the rounds are where they should be in a human size target that’s all that counts isn’t it? Isn’t a Glock 31 full size?

I own an M&P and really like it; but keep in mind you are comparing bottom feeders. These Compact plastic guns are sold on price; not on accuracy. I don’t think any of them are anything more than a belly gun. But that's just me. :D

Guest utarch00

I have a fullsize M&P9 and I love it. With that said, it was nowhere near my Sigpro when I got it. The trigger smoothed out after several hundred rounds and after I replaced the rear sight and centered the front sight it is a million times better.