How Much Would You Pay For A Gun Transfer?

Marswolf

How much are you willing to pay for a firearm transfer?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. How much are you willing to pay for a firearm transfer?

• $15.00 + $10 TICS
    • $20.00 + $10 TICS
    • $25.00 + $10 TICS
    • $30.00 + $10 TICS
    • $40.00 + $10 TICS
    • $50.00 + $10 TICS
    • A percentage of the purchase price + TICS

I've gone through at least 3 threads on this subject and have a couple of comments. First, I only ask a FFL to take delivery on a firearm that is unique. The last one was a Freedom Arms w/extra cylinders. No dealer is going to have one of these in stock, especially used. Another was a Browning/Winchester Model 71 in almost new condition at a very attractive price. Each of these cost $25 + $10 TICS. On a percentage basis, it would have been prohibitive to use some of the dealers mentioned. By shopping good dealers, you can usually find a decent price on new guns. Sure the sales tax is a ripoff, but look at it as a convenience cost. As for good dealers, I have seen several mentioned in all areas of the state. One I have dealt with and haven't seen mentioned is Classic Arms in Cordova. They aren't cheap but not unreasonable either. I haven't tried a transfer with them since I don't live in the area.

OK! That's more than a couple of comments, but thanks for the patience.

John

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let the free market decide :D.

Well...yes indeed. That will be what happens....

There is a pretty clear trend here though. Right now 59% of our voters say that $20 is as much as they are willing to pay for a transfer. Only 2.27% say they would pay more than $25. The gun dealers can make as much or as little of that as they wish.

There is a pretty clear trend here though. Right now 59% of our voters say that $20 is as much as they are willing to pay for a transfer. Only 2.27% say they would pay more than $25. The gun dealers can make as much or as little of that as they wish.

It doesnt matter whether 100% say they'd want their transfers for free. What matters is what the competition charges. If all the dealers in this area charged $40 and I wanted that business, I would charge $35.

I have this issue right now with some Silver Bear .308. It wasnt really available and now I've gotten some. What do I charge for it? So I'm going to see what an average consumer could get cheap .308 for and charge based on that.

Guest Strac

Only hitch I see with you your thinking is that you didn't ask what these same folks HAVE paid for a transfer. They might say $20 is all they would pay, but if they transfered a gun 3 months ago and paid $35, then their opinion on this survey ain't real solid, is it?

The question would seem to make more sense if you asked "Of those who transferred a weapon, what DID YOU pay". Also have an option that says "I did not transfer due to price".

Statistics are as easy to come by as opinions and as accurate as lies.

Only hitch I see with you your thinking is that you didn't ask what these same folks HAVE paid for a transfer. They might say $20 is all they would pay, but if they transfered a gun 3 months ago and paid $35, then their opinion on this survey ain't real solid, is it?

The question would seem to make more sense if you asked "Of those who transferred a weapon, what DID YOU pay". Also have an option that says "I did not transfer due to price".

Statistics are as easy to come by as opinions and as accurate as lies.

I have a feeling most people voted what they did because that was the most they paid, and therefore the most they would pay unless no dealers exist that charge said amount. I know I did.

If anyone voted differently, speak up.

Well, really this comes down to what people think is a reasonable price to charge. Whether it is actually reasonable or not is another matter. Basically almost 2/3 of the folks in the survey are saying they think they are getting ripped off if a FFL asks more than $20 to do a transfer. That should be useful information to someone in the gun business.

Actually, the most I've ever paid is $15. I voted $20. I know someone who owns a local gun shop. I called him before I became a customer and asked how much he would charge for a transfer. He said $30, so I went with another guy who charged $15. I felt he was trying to cheat me. He wasn't of course. He can legitimately charge what he likes. But it left a bad taste in my mouth and I didn't go into his shop for about a year because of that event. I bought several guns from other shops during that year because I didn't want to deal with someone I considered a ripoff artist. My thinking now is that his service fee was legitimate, but bad business practice. I have bought quite a few guns from him since then. I would have bought more....

I have a feeling most people voted what they did because that was the most they paid,

I'm guessing that the three people who say they would pay $40 have already done that or have an interest in others paying that much.

I can still escape Wes, all hope is not lost. I'm just grounded from buying any new toys for a while. Next time you drive by my house, stop in. You followed me up Watertank the other day, I was in the green crew cab dually with all the stuff in the back of it. I live in the new house beside Dr. Shull.

Can anyone recommend a shop around Kingsport? I've enjoyed shopping at Coal Creek Armory in Knoxville, but it is a bit of a drive.

The first time I needed a transfer (I was at sea and wanted to get my wife a special Christmas gift) it was sourced by an out-of-state firearms engraver (who charged full MSRP, by the way). The options were such that the piece was a special order from the manufacturer, and then of course there was the engraving. The local shop charged my wife $50 + background + sales tax on the total which included the engraving, and original price of the firearm (I'd paid the engraver for firearm and engraving services via check, which he kindly noted on the receipt he sent with the pistol).

Ouch. Thats' a bit more than I'm willing to pay for a transfer on an item the shop doesn't carry, and couldn't get from their distributor anyway. At least they were willing to allow my wife to pick it up, even though I'd paid the engraver. Possibly because her name was on it?

The second time (different shop, of course), I bought my wife a used shotgun from an individual in NC (from an online ad). This particular coach gun had been slicked up by a well-known SASS gunsmith with a good reputation, and it's "pretty". The shop didn't charge sales tax, $25 for the transfer fee, but refused to allow my wife to pick it up. It sat in the shop until I came back from sea to pick it up. Maybe I should have had the seller scratch her name in the stock with a nail or something.

I'm willing to pay $25 for a transfer. More than that seems a bit ridiculous for 5 minutes or less of record-keeping. I'm not asking the shop to transfer something that they already have in stock, or are able to order from their distributor, so a punitive transfer fee isn't a factor in the buying decision - just the decision of what shops will get my future trade. I would prefer to shop locally, so that when I need it quick, the local shop will be there.

Please note: 'Prefer' doesn't extend to "Please give me a swift kick in the cans and expect me to enjoy it".

Reasonable (not 'cheap', just reasonable) cost and customer service. If possible, a little closer to home than Knoxville.

Can anyone recommend a shop around Kingsport?

I don’t know any of these, but this is what GunBroker has listed for within 25 miles of you….

Your Zip: 37660

Approximate distance: 0.0 miles

Gregg Smith

Gun Rack

2808 Bloomingdale RD

Kingsport, TN 37660

email: Click here to email me

phone: 423-288-9851

fax: 423-288-0274

Hours: 10:00am-6:00pm Mon-Fri 10:00am- 5:00pm Sat

Transfer fee: $20.00 plus $10.00 for background check

Todd Sutherland

GUNSLINGERS

3192 East Stone Drive

Kingsport, TN 37660

phone: 423-247-4867

fax: 423-288-8841

Hours: 9:00am-6:00pm Mon. - Sat.

Transfer fee: $20.00 + $10.00 NICS

Larry Harrison

Smokey Mtn. Gun

Bloomingdale Road

Kingsport, TN 37660-7029

phone: 423-817-2499

Hours: 10:00am-5:00pm Mon- Fri.; appointments

Transfer fee: 9.5% sales tax on purchases; $10.00 NICS plus small transfer fee

Approximate distance: 6.3 miles

Jonathan L. Carrier

Carrier Rifle CO.

921 Beechwood DR.

Kingsport, TN 37663

phone: 423-239-5033

Hours: 4:00pm - 8:00pm Mon-Fri.

Transfer fee: $20.00 Long Guns, $10.00 Handguns, $10.00 TBI INSTA Check Fee plus county sales tax

Approximate distance: 8.7 miles

Gene Vaughn

Thunderbolt Gun Shop

698 Bluff Road

Kingsport, TN 37664

phone: 423-323-7853

Hours: 9am-5pm by appointment

Transfer fee: $15.00 and up depending on value

Approximate distance: 8.7 miles

Tom Cornett's

Kingsport, TN 37664

phone: 423-323-0654

cellular: 423-416-3736

Transfer fee: $25.00

Approximate distance: 9.7 miles

Jim Lee

Jim's Gun Shop

Surgoinsville, TN 37873

phone: 423-235-0240

fax: 423-235-0239

cellular: 423-358-0227

Hours: By appointment.

Transfer fee: $20.00 plus $10.00 NICS

Approximate distance: 10.7 miles

Michael D. Hughes

MIKEY'S GUNS

119 J.D. KING ROAD

Gray, TN 37615

phone: 423-477-8614

Approximate distance: 18.4 miles

CROWDERS

3744 WEST MARKET ST

JOHNSON CITY, TN 37604

phone: 423-913-9261

fax: 423-913-2307

Approximate distance: 18.8 miles

Monte's Gun Emporium Gunsmith

Johnson City, TN 37601

Hours: 9:00am-6:00pm Mon-Fri; 9:00am-2:00pm Sat

Transfer fee: $25 plus tax plus $10 ph call

Approximate distance: 20.8 miles

Jim Parlier

Jim's Discount Gun Shop

899 Watauga Rd. / Hwy 400

Watauga, TN 37694

phone: 423-543-GUNS (423-543-4867)

Hours: 9:00-5:00 Mon-Fri, 9:00-4:00 Sat

Transfer fee: $20.00 and up depending on value plus $10.00 background check

Approximate distance: 22.6 miles

Olde Towne Sports Depot

207 S. Depot St

Rogersville, TN 37857

phone: 423-272-4501

Hours: 10:00 am - 5:30pm Mon-Fri, 9:00 am-2:00pm Sat

Transfer fee: Used $25.00, new $40.00, plus $10 NICS

Approximate distance: 23.8 miles

Alan Miller

IBC

1111 Tusculum Blvd.

Greeneville, TN 37745-4038

phone: 423-783-9900

Hours: 9:00am-5:00pm Mon-Fri, by appointment only Sat

Transfer fee: $20.00

Approximate distance: 23.8 miles

Jackie Nanney

Tusculum Repair

901 Cumberland Drive

Greeneville, TN 37745

phone: 423-639-1311

fax: 423-639-2062

cellular: 423-470-0275

Hours: By Appointment

Transfer fee: $15.00 plus $10.00 TCIS

Approximate distance: 24.3 miles

DTS Firearms

Bulls Gap, TN 37711

Transfer fee: $20.00 plus NICS

Approximate distance: 24.9 miles

MIKE STILWELL

GUNS R US

626 HWY 126

BRISTOL, TN 37620

phone: 423-844-0087

fax: 423-844-0090

Hours: 10:00am-6:00pm Mon-Fri; 10:00am-4:00pm Sat

Transfer fee: $25 + $10 "NICS"

Gun Rack has been around forever. Gunslingers is pretty new. Both are about the same distance from you. I'd call either before doing a transfer to make sure they aren't collecting the use tax and to confirm the cost.

Talked to a guy yesterday who went to Gunslingers to see about selling or trading a rifle. They offered him about 1/7 of what the gun was worth. I asked him if they offered free butt lube. They have a bad reputation for low-balling you on trades. But their prices are good if you want to buy new guns from them.

I can still escape Wes, all hope is not lost. I'm just grounded from buying any new toys for a while. Next time you drive by my house, stop in. You followed me up Watertank the other day, I was in the green crew cab dually with all the stuff in the back of it. I live in the new house beside Dr. Shull.

You have moved a lot closer to my place... :)

You have got to fire the 410 Ducktown gun, the Colt revolver is nice but the 410 is a blast...