Added Something to Homepage? (delay)

Suddenly today there is a 15-20 sec delay to get

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/index.php

Both initial startup and whenever clicking the base forum link to see all forum categories.

Jumping around everywhere else is okay, but that delay is consistent when going back to base URL.

I'm used to periodic overall stalls, delays, and timeouts since server change, but this is a new quirk. Just wondered if you had added some new script or something to base URL?

- OS

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The three of us who have responded in this thread are all using Comast cable internet. It may have been a hiccup on whatever leg of Comcast's network that you're on.

The odd thing was that the delay was only on the base url. Moving around inside the site was no delay. It wouldn't be a DNS lookup thing, as each other page also calls for the domain name in locator.

And the delay was the same each time, for a period of at least a couple hours.

The reason I thought maybe you had added some script is that DefensiveCarry has a similar and consistent delay on their base url also:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/

It's not as long as the one I experienced here today (only 5-6 seconds), but is noticeably longer than anywhere else on site; and it has been that way ever since I first used it and whatever it does (I've never looked at source, and probably couldn't figure it out anyway), it does each time.

- OS

What I'm seeing out of that Defensive Carry link is "server lag" which is not entirely uncommon on a shared virtual server arrangement. We have that here from time to time also.

Why ONLY on the main page, and consistent, too?

I see some page tracker scripts on only the opening page that have to parse.

All the other pages don't contain these and load quicker, while a return to the main page brings the exact same pause. Every day.

But whatever.

They do pretty well, though, hardly ever any real timeouts. And 26,000+ registered users.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot