Crimson Trace laser

Guest m&pc9

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mustangdave

tough call...I am not a BIG fan of the DOT....though I can see the OH **** factor in it when you "paint" someone. I would say this...if you've got a steady hand go for it. I see guys at the indoor range with lasers and that dot is dancing ALL over the place...I can put 2-3 rounds in the 10 ring while they're trying to draw a bead.

Guest truthsayer

As a training aid, I love lasers. If you can't get to the range, it's pretty easy to find a spot on the wall and practice pulling through without moving the laser. I also like it for teaching people how to point-shoot. I don't and probably won't carry them because I would rather not have anything indexing directly on me, I'd much rather spend the money on ammo, and I always manage to block the laser when I index the frame of the weapon.

Guest Astra900

I've never liked the idea of a laser, but I have come to realize what I like and what works/might save my ars may not always agree. I have given serious thought to putting one on my SP101.

My biggest concern is battery life. I'm wallowing around all day, in out and under cars. THe button is sure to get pressed through out the day. I know my cell phone battery needs charging constantly for that reason,even though the key pad locks when closed, if mashed, it will light up and say "keypad locked". Do that all day, and battery life is compromised.

Guest watchmaker

I will NOT be without one.

I have a laser grip on my .45, it is my primary home defense gun, together with a Borealis 1050 lumens flashlight.

After the alarm sound...

My tactic is to get to the bedroom door and from there control the passage way and the living room, with the body protected by the frame and with only my half face exposed, one hand holding the pistol and the other hand the Borealis flashlight.

With a laser is not need to line up your face with the pistol, no tunnel vision, no exposing body parts to get into a shooting position.

If you are going to have a gunfight, this is the best way!

This, for me is the most valuable feature of the laser.

The flashlight with the 1050 lumens (two millions candlepower) will cook the eyes of an intruder.

Colt .45 with laser grips and the Borealis 1050 lumens flashlight.

govtlaser.jpg

Cheers

Watchmaker

Edited by watchmaker

Referring to pressing the button all day couldn't you just turn it off while working? I understand the agruement though of well what if you had to use it right then and there your not going to have time to flip the little switch on the bottom of the grip. I have only ever held one revolver with a CT and it had the switch on the bottom of the pistol grip.

Guest JHatmaker

My carry came with the Crimson Trace built in. I'm more accurate without it at the range, but got it because when I do have to use it in non-range situations, I won't be able to have a good firing position every time.

Guest Astra900

Watchmaker, where'd you get that antique box of hydrashoks!?!?!? I ain't seen em in a paper box in many moons! They come in clear plastic box now. Cool!

Most if not all CT grips have an on/off switch.

I have the grips on my J-frame and wonder why I waited so long to get them (I know - the price). Those primitive iron sights on pocket pistols are hard enough to see when you're young, but darned near impossible when you're bifocal-aged.

Guest JHatmaker
Can you turn it off. Or does it have to come on every time you grab it.

Yes, it has an on/off swith on the grip. Battery life last 4 hours with non-stop use, so that's pretty good battery life. Again, at the range it really doesn't help, and actually makes me mess up a little, but for close encounters with an akward position, I'm banking on it being a life-saver....

Clarification: When I turn the on/off switch on, it still stays off until you apply pressure on the grip. So you can just leave it off all the time, or turn it on, and only use it when you need it.

Edited by JHatmaker

I have a CT grip on my M&P 9mm sub-compact, and I have mixed emotions about it. Yes, the stock sights are damn near impossible to see quickly with bifocals. I just had a Hi-Viz sight installed to try and help that. For reasons I cannot explain, I seem less steady trying to hold the LAZER dot on target than when using the sights. But it's also easier to call your shot. IMHO, the Hi-Viz is a better choice.

My sight has two switches. One is the power on/off, and the other is a pressure activated switch to turn on the LAZER when I grip. So being in the holster doesn't run down your batteries.

Guest m&pc9

Im not wanting it to use at the range or target pratice. I am looking at when the SHTF in low light it will be a faster draw and shoot. But Im worried, like at the house you here someone bust in. I dont want the laser giving away my position until im ready to shoot.

With the pressure sensitive switch can you hold the gun and not have the laser on until you want to take a shot? Can you hold it loosely and when you see the perp just tighten up on the grip?

Guest m&pc9
I might be able to be that cool after my first 8 or 10 victorious gunfights.

- OS

I understand what you are saying. But I dont want a red dot following me around if im walking through the house at 1 am after hearing a loud noise.

Guest mikedwood

I have a Crimson Trace on my G19. I love it. It comes on when you grip it firmly but loosen up and move the hand a tad and it doesn't shine the evil red light.

On the range it's great to show if you are pulling, shaking, whatever you are doing the laser will ley you know.

On of my friends use to have a 1911 and would cuss like a freak when we would shoot competition and I'd use the laser.

As for battery life I have used mine for about a year I recently changed the batteries just in case they were getting low.

I would highly recommend one.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest watchmaker
Im not wanting it to use at the range or target pratice. I am looking at when the SHTF in low light it will be a faster draw and shoot. But Im worried, like at the house you here someone bust in. I dont want the laser giving away my position until im ready to shoot.

With the pressure sensitive switch can you hold the gun and not have the laser on until you want to take a shot? Can you hold it loosely and when you see the perp just tighten up on the grip?

Yes, that is how it works. To me the best feature is that you can shoot from a barricade and not exposing yourself, also is not need to put the pistol in front of your face.

noflash.jpg

Watchmaker

Guest tacticalteacher

I purchased some for my SWAT and I noticed their scores drop. The problem is after you fire a few rounds you start chasing the dot instead of using you sights. Lasers are great for the pucker factor though.