If you could only have one...

I'm moving into a new apartment and I don't want to haul all my guns with me for fear of them getting stolen, I also won't have room for a large safe. Now I have a small one that I can put handguns in but I'm going to leave my long guns locked up somewhere else. Now I'm going to keep one long gun with me as well as an HD shotgun but which long gun? I want one that that can get me to the rest of them. Here are a few options. What do you guys suggest?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind this is a SHTF kinda deal.

Here's my choices.

Shotgun- would be sufficient with various loads.

AK- reliable, good knockdown power, but everything's heavy. gun, mags, ammo

AR- accurate, carry lots of mags and ammo, but expensive to replace if stolen

SUB2000 or CX4- shares pistol mags, but lacks power of rifle round.

Something else in .223?- maybe a su-16 or a mini14 something long those lines.

Either the AR or the AK, I don't know which flavor of either you own, but I would suggest the one that's more compact, that way it'll be easier to find a good place to stash it while you're out if you're that worried about theft.

If you're already gonna have a shotgun, I'd go with the AR.

James is correct, the insurance is a good option. I pay an extra $25/year for $5000 worth of insurance for my guns. That protects them from theft. In the case of fire, flood, etc, they are covered 100% anyway.

You mentioned an apartment. I live in a 2nd floor apartment, and I just got one of these safes. http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/hunting/firearm_safes&start=8&selectedSKU=0340-03031-4311

They are not fire rated, but it will keep the common thief from walking aout with them. It's actually a pretty nice safe, and the price is great.

The safe weighs about 200 pounds, but it was pretty easy getting up the stairs with a dolly.

If you're already gonna have a shotgun, I'd go with the AR.

James is correct, the insurance is a good option. I pay an extra $25/year for $5000 worth of insurance for my guns. That protects them from theft. In the case of fire, flood, etc, they are covered 100% anyway.

You mentioned an apartment. I live in a 2nd floor apartment, and I just got one of these safes. http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/hunting/firearm_safes&start=8&selectedSKU=0340-03031-4311

They are not fire rated, but it will keep the common thief from walking aout with them. It's actually a pretty nice safe, and the price is great.

The safe weighs about 200 pounds, but it was pretty easy getting up the stairs with a dolly.

Yeah i posted the other day asking sort've asking about safes.

Guest bkelm18

For an apartment I would not use a rifle for self defense for obvious reasons. If it's your last resort or if its all you got, ok, but use a pistol or shotgun first.

For an apartment I would not use a rifle for self defense for obvious reasons. If it's your last resort or if its all you got, ok, but use a pistol or shotgun first.

yes but he said he would use it to get to his other guns and for that purpose nothing but a high-capacity rifle will do the job as well as any other option

Guest bkelm18
yes but he said he would use it to get to his other guns and for that purpose nothing but a high-capacity rifle will do the job as well as any other option

Yes they also run the chance of going through your walls and killing your neighbors too. At least with a handgun or shotgun (properly loaded) those chances are decreased.

if im not mistaken he stated that he would have a shotgun and handguns anyways, and just wanted suggestions on a long gun that would be used to get to the rest of them.

Now I have a small one that I can put handguns in but I'm going to leave my long guns locked up somewhere else. Now I'm going to keep one long gun with me as well as an HD shotgun but which long gun? I want one that that can get me to the rest of them.