Glock does it again.... or was it Cher?

Guest dkirby

Guest dkirby

Please forgive me if this is a repost. I heard this on the radio today, and guessed the make of the gun before it was told. :death:

http://www.dnj.com/article/20090303/NEWS01/90303001

A 51-year-old Murfreesboro man accidentally shot his wife while cleaning his gun Sunday afternoon inside his home, according to Murfreesboro Police.

Stephen Summers was showing his wife, Evy Elaine Summers, 53, how to clean and disassemble a Glock at their Bolden Drive home just before 3 p.m. Sunday when he accidentally shot her, according to a police report filed Monday at the Murfreesboro Police Department.

“Mr. Summers advised that he and his wife were watching ‘Cher’ on television and must have been distracted,†Officer Palmer Gibbs reported. “Mr. Summers cocked the Glock and it went off and struck Mrs. Summers in her right wrist, left breast and (traveled) out her left tricep.â€

Police spoke with Evy Summers at Middle Tennessee Medical Center, where she was treated for her wounds, and she confirmed her husband’s story.

“She advised that her husband ... racked the slide and the gun went off,†Gibbs reported.

Police spokesman Kyle Evans on Monday reiterated some significant points of handgun safety.

“When you’re cleaning a gun, it is especially important to make sure the firearm is empty before you begin working on it,†he said. “It’s always a good idea to treat every gun as if it were loaded all the time.

“Never point a gun in the direction of anything that you don’t want destroyed, because we have seen cases in the past where people have accidentally shot through the walls of their houses, television sets and, in this case, an actual human being. It’s especially important to keep these tips in mind when you are in the limits of Murfreesboro because of the close proximity of other houses.â€

Stephen Summers has a legal handgun carry permit, according to the Memphis Commercial Appeal’s Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit database.

— Mark Bell, 615-278-5153

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TennFarmer

Man, what really gets me is the friggin' searchable database that the Memphis paper has. I had no idea that was out there. Sure works ;)

Guest jackdog

idiots should not handle fire arms. The fact that they were watching tv why messing with a loaded firearm kind of proved the point.

I had one friend kill his refrigerator, I had another wound his metal desk. Of course, both of these were when they were letting their hammers down on loaded 1911's and they were both in their mid 20's.

You might have to give second thoughts to Browning & SW on the magazine disconnect safeties....probably have saved a few lives over the years. I have actually started liking them in my old age.

Guest FroggyOne2

I love Smith Semi's Once you get used to them, they are really hard to beat. If one was to think about it, there are a lot of good reasons to the magazine saftey. And yes, there are always pros and cons to everything. But I feel that the pros to the mag disconnect out weigh the cons. IMHO

Guest 70below

Where do you want to guess the guys trigger finger was? My HCP instructor stated his belief is there are NO accidental shootings (at least of firearms in good working order), somebody had their finger on the trigger, at very least its negligence, at most murder. Also, I'm not sure that a magazine disconnect would have averted this situation. They both clearly state that he racked the slide, apparently to clear the and check the chamber.....but apparently there must have been something in the mag otherwise the pistol would have cleared the chamber and there would have been nothing there to replace the ejected round.

Where do you want to guess the guys trigger finger was? My HCP instructor stated his belief is there are NO accidental shootings ...

Your instructor was right, no one has ever been shot by a unloaded gun, just guns they thought were unloaded but were to distracted, ignorant or lazy to check.

As to his finger being on the trigger, you have to pull the trigger on a Glock or XD to remove the slide, so he removed the mag and didn't clear the chamber is my guess.

Guest JHatmaker
Through the BREAST? Even if it is a 53 year old breast, he should be punished to the fullest extent of the law for such a crime.

Haha, nice one!

Where do you want to guess the guys trigger finger was? My HCP instructor stated his belief is there are NO accidental shootings (at least of firearms in good working order), somebody had their finger on the trigger, at very least its negligence, at most murder. Also, I'm not sure that a magazine disconnect would have averted this situation. They both clearly state that he racked the slide, apparently to clear the and check the chamber.....but apparently there must have been something in the mag otherwise the pistol would have cleared the chamber and there would have been nothing there to replace the ejected round.
Unless he only "racked" the slide the 1/8th of an inch necessary for takedown, then pulled the trigger to remove the slide. You know how those non-gun folks (especially reporters) are when they try to use gun folks' vernacular. Although, to hear the wife tell the story, you'd have thought the gun slam-fired.
Guest jackdog
Unless he only "racked" the slide the 1/8th of an inch necessary for takedown, then pulled the trigger to remove the slide. You know how those non-gun folks (especially reporters) are when they try to use gun folks' vernacular. Although, to hear the wife tell the story, you'd have thought the gun slam-fired.

Well he still did not clear the weapon prior to breaking it down so he is stuoid

Guest gunslinger707
Through the BREAST? Even if it is a 53 year old breast, he should be punished to the fullest extent of the law for such a crime.

Hey i've seen some fine 53 yr.old breast's !!!!:koolaid::D:D

Well he still did not clear the weapon prior to breaking it down so he is stuoid
And I would add that he also (obviously) didn't keep it pointed in a safe direction at all times. You'll get no argument from me that, no matter what actually happened, he is indeed "stuoid". :koolaid:
Guest grimel
I had one friend kill his refrigerator, I had another wound his metal desk. Of course, both of these were when they were letting their hammers down on loaded 1911's and they were both in their mid 20's.

Could it be that is WHY you don't carry a 1911 with a loaded chamber and the hammer down? :D

Guest grimel
Where do you want to guess the guys trigger finger was?

Hmm, taking down a Glock? I'd say he pulled the trigger intentionally.