Academy Sports a Great Place to Buy

Guest KWW67

Guest KWW67

I have bought two handguns at academy sports in Rivergate and have to say they are the best I have ever delt with. I will buy mine there from now on as long as they are competative. I would even pay a few, but just a few, bucks more there. Very customer friendly and go out of their way to make you happy. I have dealt with gun stores who act like they could not care less if you were there or not and act like you are a bother. Some gun stores have gotten a little cocky lately. I had rather buy local and from them, but I will not get treated second rate while giving them hundreds of dollars. Unfortunatly it has ruined me. May be worth checking out. They have a very good selection.

Edited by KWW67
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tn.Mitch
I have bought two handguns at academy sports in Rivergate and have to say they are the best I have ever delt with. I will buy mine there from now on as long as they are competative. I would even pay a few, but just a few, bucks more there. Very customer friendly and go out of their way to make you happy. I have dealt with gun stores who act like they could not care less if you were there or not and act like you are a bother. Some gun stores have gotten a little cocky lately. I had rather buy local and from them, but I will not get treated second rate while giving them hundreds of dollars. Unfortunatly it has ruined me. May be worth checking out. They have a very good selection.

I aggree with you,I have bought 3 guns from Tim,hes a real nice guy that seems to allways be there,when ever im in there,he has allways helped me in everyway he could,he allways has time for a question I may have about something,Bought my Glock 27,berretta Tomcat,Taurus PT 92 all there.That is my favorite place too,and hay,im in Hendersonville,so it real close also.cant beat it..... :up:

Edited by Tn.Mitch

I bought an XD from Tim about 2 years ago and he was excellent. The one I had gotten was an older one without the melonite treatment and he allowed me to exchange it, even though it was against their policy, for a newer one with the melonite. Prices are decent not great, but I have yet to be able to find better ammo prices, even online.

Guest pl1ght
I bought an XD from Tim about 2 years ago and he was excellent. The one I had gotten was an older one without the melonite treatment and he allowed me to exchange it, even though it was against their policy, for a newer one with the melonite. Prices are decent not great, but I have yet to be able to find better ammo prices, even online.

Yeah, i get virtually all my ammo needs from academy. Like you say they beat online prices in most cases.

Tims cool... but years ago, before I owned the shop... I tried to buy and take care of the little guys.

Ya'll need to remember, when the big guys run all the little guys out of the buisness... then you will be their slave.

Btw, if you let us know we can and will beat anyones price, even Academy's... and at least I have been told by folks on here we have great customer service. Next time your in the Rivergate area give us a chance to earn your buisness, or at least come in say hi and have a coke and hang out a bit. :rolleyes:

I enjoy trying to take care of "local business" and not the big box stores.

With that being said, I have bought a gun from Academy and would buy again. Why? B/c when ya go in there, and look at the guns, they don't make you feel stupid, and they don't give you a hard time. Lots of little local gun shops stare at you while you're looking at a gun, and make negative comments if it's not what they would buy. If I wanted a comment, I would ask for it. Constructive criticism is great, in it's on place and time. I wish more local gun shops treated folks like Tim does at Academy. I dunno...maybe it's just a different atmosphere.

I'd check prices at Goodlettsville, Guns and Leather and Second Amendment before I bought there...just b/c I COMPLETELY agree with Phillip that the big box stores kill the little stores.

Guest RISC777

Rambo said one thing that sparked a thought about Franklin Gun Shop. Yes, I find their prices to be higher than most alternatives; yes, they have a pretty diverse amount on hand that you can handle and fondle without a trigger lock on; no, I haven't bought a firearm from them. But they have one guy working there that is one of the best customer service people ever. You want to see it? here it is. You like that or this? okay. Got a question? just a straight answer. He's ex-law enforcement and has a great deal of knowledge. Now if he'd just work somewhere else . . .

I appreciate the big stores - they have their place, and I am sure they have great employees.

It has been my practice to buy firearms from individuals who have them for sale or the small gun shops run by individuals.

Yes, I admit I have paid more in the small shops. At the same time, I know that I kept an individual operator in business, fed his family, gave his staff a job, and did it all without enriching a large corporation.

This may not be your view, especially in these tough economic times.

But it is worth thinking about!

This thread reminded me to again say that the Goodlettsville Gun Shop has excellent customer service. I recently bought an accessory and wasnt sure if it would fit my shotgun. Phillip offered to install it for me and it worked perfectly. Although I had been in the shop before I wasnt a big fan prior to this. Now he will get my business as well as the 2 close friends I told about it. Customer service is what we want. You get it there. Was also glad to see he will beat the ammo price at Academy...does that include their sales?

Guest KWW67
This thread reminded me to again say that the Goodlettsville Gun Shop has excellent customer service. I recently bought an accessory and wasnt sure if it would fit my shotgun. Phillip offered to install it for me and it worked perfectly. Although I had been in the shop before I wasnt a big fan prior to this. Now he will get my business as well as the 2 close friends I told about it. Customer service is what we want. You get it there. Was also glad to see he will beat the ammo price at Academy...does that include their sales?

I have never been to the Goodlettsville store but I will go after seeing some of these post. The point of this post was a lot of gun stores have forgot you are the customer. They act like you are bothersome and you never see anyone smiling. You smile and joke around with them and shoot the breeze and you get nothing but a zombie stare. It reminds me of the soup nazi on Seinfeld. I swear. If they are driven out it is because they drove themselves out due to their attitudes. Next time I am in Goodletsville I will stop by their store. Who knows, I may have a change of vision. I am not looking for a steal, just a fair market price in a friendly envirnoment. A place you feel like you can go hang out for a couple hours when you are bored and they know you by name when you come in. Not looking for a red carpet but damn, how about some appreciation for my business. Big box or not, academy sports treat you like a neighbor and calls me by my first name.

Edited by KWW67

I buy most of my guns from Guns and Leather , but I buy almost all my ammo from from Tim at Academy Sports great prices on ammo especially 9mm .:D

Guest JHatmaker
Rambo said one thing that sparked a thought about Franklin Gun Shop. Yes, I find their prices to be higher than most alternatives; yes, they have a pretty diverse amount on hand that you can handle and fondle without a trigger lock on; no, I haven't bought a firearm from them. But they have one guy working there that is one of the best customer service people ever. You want to see it? here it is. You like that or this? okay. Got a question? just a straight answer. He's ex-law enforcement and has a great deal of knowledge. Now if he'd just work somewhere else . . .

First, +1 on Academy and their gun prices and ammo selection. They may not have a ton of it, but everytime I go in there for ammo, they at least have several hundred rounds of one of the calibers I shoot, and unlike W-Mart actually have it in stock and won't limit me to 1 box per caliber.

But regarding Franklin Gun, I also agree with you. They aren't the cheapest place in town, but are always super nice and helpful to me, I've bought two of my guns from them and they actually are appreciative whether you're buying targets or a gun. The only thing that erks me about them was on my last visit, bought another Baby Eagle II and the total was $xxx.20, I had no change on me, neither did my buddy, and I was digging though bills looking for a one and the guy helping me didn't give me the twenty cents. Not that he has to, but come on, it's twenty freakin' cents. But otherwise, good place.

And back to Academy, again, great place. They've got a decent deal on a Para 1911, and if you can find one left, a Sig 2022 under $500....

Guest MisterJimmy

I've only been to the Academy in Cool Springs: nice guys but otherwise, nothing to write home about. For firearms I've been mostly impressed with G&L where I bought my pistol and took my CC class. Their selection of 1911s is better than many stores inventory.

Guest Irish_Red
Tims cool... but years ago, before I owned the shop... I tried to buy and take care of the little guys.

Ya'll need to remember, when the big guys run all the little guys out of the buisness... then you will be their slave.

Btw, if you let us know we can and will beat anyones price, even Academy's... and at least I have been told by folks on here we have great customer service. Next time your in the Rivergate area give us a chance to earn your buisness, or at least come in say hi and have a coke and hang out a bit. :D

Best prices I have seen in this area are at East Side Gun Shop and I buy guns all the time. I have bought guns from Goodlettsville Gun Shop and Guns & Leather as well as Academy and Hero Gear the services our always good but I do have to say since i moved to Tenneesse Eastside has had the best prices.

One time I bought a Rifle at Goodlettsville and thought I got a great deal and then seen the same gun a day later for 230.00 less at Eastside so I would shop around. All the shops around here have great service as far as I have seen.

Guest Tn.Mitch
Best prices I have seen in this area are at East Side Gun Shop and I buy guns all the time. I have bought guns from Goodlettsville Gun Shop and Guns & Leather as well as Academy and Hero Gear the services our always good but I do have to say since i moved to Tenneesse Eastside has had the best prices.

One time I bought a Rifle at Goodlettsville and thought I got a great deal and then seen the same gun a day later for 230.00 less at Eastside so I would shop around. All the shops around here have great service as far as I have seen.

If eastside is the place on Trinty lane,I went up and down, Trinty ln. from Gallatain rd to Dickerson road 2 times and never fond the place,everything but a gun store....your eyes are better than mine,id like to find it,just to know its really there.

:love: Since you guys are new, I'll let you in something. Bill Bernstein, aka The Rabbi, was permanently banned a while back. The details can be found by doing a search for The Rabbi. He is generally not brought up here to avoid heated conflicts.:D Edited by Smith

Yea, I have nothing personally against Bill but he didnt play well here. You can take that for what its worth.

And FYI, we advertise we will beat any other competitors price on guns. IMHO there was either a difference in the guns or your happened to be used where ours was maybe new. In any effect this shouldnt have happened, a $230 difference is huge for a long gun. Please pm me with the details so we can make amends if any are needed.

Wow...I have a totally different view of Academy. I have been treated so poorly there that I only go in for items I don't need an employees help with. I have looked at their ammo ane weapons, and I have to say without a doubt that Guns and Leather have academy beat by a long shot. I have been into your shop Phillip, but at the time was not a serious buyer, but was still treated very well. I usually buy fishing eqp. from Academy, but thats about it.

Guest Irish_Red
Yea, I have nothing personally against Bill but he didnt play well here. You can take that for what its worth.

And FYI, we advertise we will beat any other competitors price on guns. IMHO there was either a difference in the guns or your happened to be used where ours was maybe new. In any effect this shouldnt have happened, a $230 difference is huge for a long gun. Please pm me with the details so we can make amends if any are needed.

Phillip it is all good he was just cheaper on a AR i am not upset at all you guys have great service and nice guns he just happen to have one a little cheaper. I will buy from you again and East Side, both of you are very nice to deal with and have good prices. With me being new to Tenneesse I did not know who had the best deals so now i just always shop around.:stalk:

Guest Packina45
But they have one guy working there that is one of the best customer service people ever.

I bought a few pieces from the Franklin shop. And... I agree, however there was a couple of guys that really wanted me to feel good. One guy's name was Rocky, I think he was the gunsmith guy, REALLY helpful. The other was a younger guy, perhaps the owner/manager. He was the only guy that could haggle a deal. We had a good time haggling and he did cooperate. Been back a few times. Prices are higher BUT they have some hard to find items AND they will deal.

That being said, Academy @ Cool Springs is hard to beat too, if they have what you're lookin for. :cool:

Guest Tn.Mitch

I stopped in to say hi to Tim this afternoon at the Academy at Rivergate to see if he had gotten any new shinny toys in since I was last in there,Then went down to visit Phillip at his Gunstore in Goodlesville,they were all doing fine,looked like Phillip at the Goodlesville gun store got a big supply of ammo in,they were going over it while I was fondling a few 1911s :)Phililp has a pretty good supply of stuff,I didnt have much time ,Got a phone call.while I was trying to fondle a sweet S&W 1911, anywhay,I had to go,until next time ... :up:

Guest RISC777

Found out Academy (Cool Springs) is going to carry HK and ____ (forgot the other name, maybe Kahr(?)). They cleared two cases that were dedicated to knives.

Found out Academy (Cool Springs) is going to carry HK and ____ (forgot the other name, maybe Kahr(?)). They cleared two cases that were dedicated to knives.

Walther. If only they can get the ever elusive P99 QA in 9mm!:)