Tell me about Taurus 1911's.

bukowski548

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

I had one for a couple years. What I liked:

1. Trigger (for a mass produced trigger, the pt1911 has about the best)

2. Accuracy

3. Function

4. Build quality (overall, a well engineered package)

I disliked:

1. Finish

2. Sights

3. Guiderod

4. The built in lock

5. The size, position, and function of the ambi-dextrous safety

6. Lack of a lanyard ring

7. And I forgot, but the magazine release button sticks out too far.

When you first get a 1911 style pistol with a guiderod, you think its kinda cool. After awhile, you realize it just gets in the way. And the ambi safety left alot to be desired in terms of how it functioned. It was plenty quiet, not a noise problem. But the lever itself was a bit, ummmm, floppy.

There's nothing really wrong with the taurus, its a good solid pistol. I could have fixed mine exactly the way I like them. But I acquired a Sigarms 1911 that really only lacks sights and a lanyard from Joe the pusher. Plus I have a couple other pistols, so why waste the effort with the taurus was my thinking.

Edited by Mugster
Guest c.a.s.

Me or Mom have no complaints about her's.

Well, one. THe finish seems a bit thin. But according to the Taurus forums, that seems hit-or-miss by batch.

About the Ambi safety.

GET A NEWER TAURUS. Some of the older batches had problems where the ambi safety wasn't pushed together properly, so they were loose and could come out whiel firing. TO ensure it's in all the way, move the safety to half-way between positions. Push the two sides together HARD to ensure they are together. If you want to change the safety, it's the same as any other 1911 and requires the same amount of fitting.

The sights take some getting used to. THey are Heinie Straight Eight sights.

The guiderod is a personal thing. It doesn't bother me, and seems to make it balance better (IMAO). It's an easy and fairly cheap fix if you don't want it, as well. I simply just use the (included) bushing wrench to make it easier regardless.

As tothe lock..... I don't use it. Never plan to use it. I keep the keys aroudn in case it moves, but there hasn't been a report of it. If you want to, it's not that big of a problem ot replace the hammer. I haven't, because I'm cheap, an ameteur, and it doesn't bother me.

The lanyard ring is personal. Wouldn't that be a Mainspring Housing change? Those are a bit more expensive.

I actually like the slightly extended mag release. Makes it easier to use.

You WILL hate the case. It's rather small. You can't fit the gun and both mags it in inside the padding, you have to stash one behind the padding.

Get the Stainless version to avoid the reported finish problems. Other than that, they are great. I have fired my buddy's and can't really tell any difference in it compared my S&W or a Springfield 1911. They averege $150 or so cheaper.

Guest mustangdave

I have a Taurus revolver Tracker 357 Magnum...LOVE IT...not to sold on their semi autos yet...but thats just me and my taste

Guest BlueKnight1280

Hey Buk,

I curretly own 3 Taurus's which are the following: a model 617 stainless, 7-shot,.357 mag; model "The Judge",which is a 410ga/.45 colt, this is one super gun. This is one heck of a gun for home or defense, you have your choice of 410ga shotgun or .45colt or combo of both either way you will have order in the court.

Then I own a 1911B($549.00). This is their 1911 which has just about all of the features that one can have including night sights. Again, Taurus has produced another really top gun. Not sure if you get a copy of "American Rifleman" from NRA. If not go to NRA"s site and you might find some articles/advertisements there. I also own a Kimber CDPII .45 cal($1198 gun). This gun is basically a 1911 design, but it has a lot of stuff rounded off. This is done so if pocket carried, will not snag on anything. If I had seen the Taurus and got to shoot it compared to the Kimber, I would have bought the Taurus and I would $1198.00 richer. I'll let you be the judge on what you want, but Taurus over the last 8-10 years have really got their act together and are really building some excellent guns. Here's to ya!:)

Guest JHatmaker

Hey Buk,

I curretly own 3 Taurus's which are the following: a model 617 stainless, 7-shot,.357 mag; model "The Judge",which is a 410ga/.45 colt, this is one super gun. This is one heck of a gun for home or defense, you have your choice of 410ga shotgun or .45colt or combo of both either way you will have order in the court.

Then I own a 1911B($549.00). This is their 1911 which has just about all of the features that one can have including night sights. Again, Taurus has produced another really top gun. Not sure if you get a copy of "American Rifleman" from NRA. If not go to NRA"s site and you might find some articles/advertisements there. I also own a Kimber CDPII .45 cal($1198 gun). This gun is basically a 1911 design, but it has a lot of stuff rounded off. This is done so if pocket carried, will not snag on anything. If I had seen the Taurus and got to shoot it compared to the Kimber, I would have bought the Taurus and I would $1198.00 richer. I'll let you be the judge on what you want, but Taurus over the last 8-10 years have really got their act together and are really building some excellent guns. Here's to ya!:tinfoil:

You sure are specific aren't you....:usa:

I've got that Kimber and love it, great little gun. I'm looking at getting a full size 1911 and like that the Taurus comes with a lot of the features of the higher priced models for about half the price. But I keep going back to thinking "if I just spend a little more I could get another Kimber"

Ive got one.Its a great gun. :tinfoil:

Just spend a little more and get a Kimber. You can pick up a custom II for around $750ish. It's definitely worth the extra cash.

Care to devulge a place to get one at that price?

Do any of the Kimbers actually reliably work, right out of the box?

- OS

Ive never owned a Limber,so I have no idear other then what Ive heard second hand,and since we all seem to wanna talk about second hand info like its scripture.......the answer is no,it will not :usa:

I am fairly well decided that I too am going the Taurus 1911 route. Here was a write up that helped me make that decision.

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2009/02/bb-works-it-out-part-6-taurus-pt-1911.html

Can't disregard an authority like that; he lives in Texas and his favorite movie is The Sound of Music, and listens to Barbara Streisand.

And did you actually READ his review?:

"Now, as an owner, I'm an expert on why you don't want this gun. In the first 84 rounds, there were 8 failures to feed - exactly the complaint that's been leveled at this model, which I discovered after the fact. You can find heated arguments all over the internet about whether or not there is any substance to the claim that PT1911's have feeding problems, but I have lived it. This happened in both factory magazines with two different Remington factory loads, one of which was the time-honored 230-grain hardball GI load that chambers like quicksilver in most 1911s, so no alibi there. ANY failure to feed is the kiss of death for a defense gun. Ten percent makes me sick! Yes, I could try different kinds of ammo and hopefully one or two will be flawless, but my confidence is now shaken."

- OS

Edited by OhShoot