carry with a round chambered??

Guest Rem_700

My permit should be here any day, today is day 7 of the 7-14. That being said I will carry +1. I think this is a training and equipment issue.

If your gun makes you nervous, I think you should choose a design that does not. I am not comfortable with striker fired pistols in general, so I don't have one. I am comfortable with hammer fired pistols with a thumb safety/firing pin block, that is what I like and that is what I will carry. With one in the chamber! With practice you can sweep the safety on the draw and loose no time at all. It just takes practice, and knowledge of your equipment. I would be nervous +1 with any striker fired pistol (not just a glock) especially one without a safety. Many are not, that is great, but that is why there are different designs.

No one platform is the end all and be all, that is why there are multiple platforms and multiple variations of each platform. You should choose the one that works best for you and makes you all warm and fuzzy, and then practice! But I would not feel comfortable with any gun that I could not confidently carry +1, you need to be able to react NOW with one hand and no delays (and pray you never, ever even have to even produce the weapon).

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not comfortable with striker fired pistols in general, so I don't have one

oddly enough the striker fired pistol is one of the most recommended designs for newer shooters. Thats because of how safe it is and pretty much fool proof to make it go bang when you want it to.

The striker fired pistol was one of JMB's first designs.

You know I just randomly thought of something. From a psychological perspective...

If one is to frightened to carry their defensive weapon with a round in the chamber for fear of accidental injury, etc would they really have the mental clarity or attitude to use said weapon?

It seems that if you are that scared of something I really can't imagine that person being able to shoot another person. If they did I'd be surprised if it didn't destroy them psychologically.

Completely agree Punisher84...it just seems to me that there are so many good options out there that with some research and time invested anyone who chooses to go armed can find a configuration that works for them.

Too many people get wrapped up in brand names and marketing hype or their brother-inlaws-cousins advice, instead of making a truely informed decision.

Again, thankefully, there are LOTS of very good options out there...find yours before you can't.

Me too. Though I am a little more aware where my shirt tails are when I holster it. I also made up a new rule when I bought it, NEVER catch a dropped Glock. Also, never drop your Glock. :D

That's good advice about not trying to catch a dropped Glock or any other handgun. Most people would instinctively grap for it if it was falling, but that would be the worse thing you could do. Great tip. Keep them coming.:)