carry with a round chambered??

Guest Rem_700

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mikedwood

When I first started carrying I had a G19 and a holster. Seemed perfect except I was scared it would go off. Glock butt and all. So I posted your same question on this very board and was quickly lambasted.

So good advise was given. So I decided to carry a few days unchambered and see how that went. I hoped I'd quickly move to chambered.

The next day I was holstering the G19 and it didn't go in so swift, kinda got caught in my shirt tail. It didn't fire or anything but it sure seemed like a recipe for disaster.

Later in the day I called the great Phantom6 and asked him about a Glock and the shirt tail. He quickly told me with no hesitation "That's the cause of 80% of Glock butt." hummmm I was on to something. One question remained. "What's the reason for the other 20%?". He's an honest guy, he said "I have no idea."

So with that figured out I racked the slide chambered one and been locked and loaded every day since.

Pay 100% attention when holstering a loaded weapon is my motto, and carry it loaded.

.... The next day I was holstering the G19 and it didn't go in so swift, kinda got caught in my shirt tail. It didn't fire or anything but it sure seemed like a recipe for disaster. ...

One of the reasons I chose XD. Really.

- OS

Yup, matter of fact, I don't think I know a single person who doesnt.

;) You mean they make em without rounds in the chamber?

Ummmm, I know of a single person, at least who did. Sheriff's Deputy I know was on a very volatile scene. He arrived, took cover with the other officers, then asked a friend of mine "You think it'd be a good time to put a round in the chamber?"

Reply: "Ya think? *#%^$&@##*$%%!"

Turned out he didn't like carrying with a round in the chamber since he shot a hole in his floorboard. And, in answer to your next question, he's still with the same agency!:tough:

If yur skeerd to carry one in the chamber, then don't. But, I figure, if by some sudden enforcement of Murphy's law I do put a hole in my leg, I'm still going to keep the survival mindset and put a hole (or several) in the thug who was trying to put a hole in me. When I'm off-duty, I do carry a revolver (SP101), just cause I prefer wheel guns, so I carry one in each of several chambers.:D

Guest Bronker
One of the reasons I chose XD. Really.

- OS

Absolutely, Chief!

If I'm doing a 'blind' re-holstering so to speak, I will pull may hand away from the grip safety completely. Therefore if by chance the trigger snags, the grip safety being disengaged will prevent the inevitable...well...

XD-Butt!!

Absolutely, Chief!

If I'm doing a 'blind' re-holstering so to speak, I will pull may hand away from the grip safety completely. Therefore if by chance the trigger snags, the grip safety being disengaged will prevent the inevitable...well...

XD-Butt!!

+1. I am so confident with the grip safety as well as the trigger safety on the XD, that i was ghetto tucking before i ever got a holster for it.

There is the Israeli or Massad method. But, I carry hot only.

Wasn't that method developed primarily due to a certain kind of pistol they were using that had a tendency to discharge when dropped?

I could see their reasoning of it being less likely to fire upon it's owner in the event it was taken by an assailant in an altercation, however the obvious trade off is that it will be less likely to shoot an assailant trying to take away your weapon... :tinfoil:

For those that don't carry with one in the chamber, what happens if one hand is incapacitated (shot, perhaps) or holding someone off as you draw? Awareness doesn't always have you prepared for an attack.

I'd be nervous carrying without one chambered...

Guest Hyaloid

Do you drive your car on a trip, with the fuel gauge on "E"?

Do you wait until you see a deer to string your bow?

Do you wait until your power goes out before you get batteries for your flashlights, or matches for your candles?

This question again..... :rolleyes:

Yes, one in the chamber...even in my Glock. :tinfoil:

Me too. Though I am a little more aware where my shirt tails are when I holster it. I also made up a new rule when I bought it, NEVER catch a dropped Glock. Also, never drop your Glock. :screwy:

Guest db99wj
Absolutely, Chief!

XD-Butt!!

The best way I have found to do this with my XD is of course finger off the trigger (obviously:D), and move my thumb up to the top of the rear sights, this allows the grip safety to disengage. This might be what you are talking about but if not, this is my tip of the day.

Oh, I only use this when holstering or re holstering, not drawing and firing.

OK, let me be the first one who says they dont have one in the chamber. I'll tell ya why before all you fellas have a caniption fit and call me names.

I have a S&W Compact........and on it there is no safety. When a round is in the chamber the hammer is ready to fire and its pointing right at my Skippy. (I like a cross draw) I am not comfortable with that at all. I need my Skippy for ocasional recreation. I am not going to shoot it off when it takes a second to pull the slide back and chamber a round.

OK.................Flame suit on!!

I was a little leery at first with my mp compact without any external safety but it quickly went away. I carry 11:00 o'clock and crossdraw also. I have never carried without one in the chamber.

Guest Fenris

I used to feel uneasy about carrying one in the chamber as well. A couple of things eased my mind:

1) Know your weapon. I cannot stress this enough. I didn't trust my decocker until I took my gun apart and watched how it works. I keep the gun pointed in a safe direction, but I know the workings of my decocker and pin block and I trust it.

2) While your gun is unloaded and still following the 4 rules of gun safety, try to get it to fire. I put a pencil in the barrel so the eraser was against the firing pin. Dry fire once and laugh as you have a primitive dart gun. Then I went through a series of "mishaps": finger slipping off the hammer as I cocked it, etc.

3) Carry around the house unloaded to begin with. Get comfortable with your weapon (as comfortable as you can with metal poking into your side).

4) Practice, practice, practice. Put rounds through your gun. Know your particular weapon's creep and trigger pull.

That's what helped me. YMMV