Gun Safe in Garage

I have kept mine in the garage for 10+ years (almost the same age as this thread), like previously said though a goldenrod or similar electric dehumidifier is a must.  Also definitely recommend a bolt down kit into the slab.

Whenever I left town I would always disable the auto garage door and put physical blocks in the track system as a mental/emotional safe guard so the garage couldn't be forced open.

Edited by Slpeod
  • 2 weeks later...

Goldenrod a must and bolt the safe down a must.  Anything beyond that is just to make us feel better.  A friend of mine is a cop and he once investigated a home robbery where the perps stole a bunch of Dewalt cordless tools next door and used a 18v circular saw to go right through the garage door in minutes then helped themselves to the contents of the garage.  The door alarm on the "people" door never went off because the door wasn't opened. 

whitewolf, I'm not judging, I'm laughing.

• Like 3

So what I'm thinking Terry is this... put an empty gun safe in your garage, don't bolt it down, hide your guns under the mattresses and in the closet like the old days, and won't the perps be surprized when they drag your safe home and open it up to find a note that says "Gotcha!"  :rofl:

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

I keep my safe in the garage, bolted directly to the concrete.  I use a rechargeable dehumidifier (not Remington-branded, but same concept and likely the same exact model without big green's logo).  I recharge it once a month by plugging it into a wall socket and have had no issues, even in summer heat and humidity.  The dessicant changes color as it adsorbs ambient water, so you can see when it's time to dry it back out.  As always, YMMV, but it's worked for me.  The recommendation for the dehumidifier came from the people at Nashville Safe House and was purchased from them as well (great folks, and they have a sterling reputation on this site).

edited - spelling.  "u" and "i" are not interchangeable in the word "dehumidifier".

Edited by StPatrick