Back-up guns

Guest Loaded247

Guest Loaded247

Question: Who carries a back-up gun in addition to their primary, and what do you carry? I just finished cleaning my S&W Mod. 36 Chiefs Special, which is what I carry as a BUG.

Just got back from the range (MSSA), which is outdoors, and it was cold!! Let's just say it was 'brief' range session...:D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RN MEDIC

These are great backup guns. I've had a number of them and wish I had a couple of them back that I sold. I ESPECIALLY wish I had the 3 inch model 36 back as they give you the full length extractor rod and a bit more power as more powder has time to burn in the barrell.

Everyone doesn't like them, but a lot of people do, and they most certainly do have a place in one's bag of tools for defense.

RNMEDIC

I don,t always carry a bug but i sometime carry my Para-Ordnance IWB holster and a S&W 360 in a pocket holster. Just for quick trips out and back i only carry the S&W.

My always gun is a Kel-tec P 3AT in my hip pocket. Cheap, light little fabric holster and a piece of pocket sized plastic cut from a milk jug to keep from printing. Super light and better for me than the expensive leather holster I used to use. :eek:

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I've carried a handgun for about 30 years. I'm not trying to brag, just give you some idea of experience, since I'm new here. I retired a few years ago from government service dealing with foreign situations. After 9-11 I was asked to un-retire for a while. I still deal with foreign matters, but also with some domestic situations. This requires me to carry either open or concealed. I do carry a BUG too these days.

When I decided I needed a BUG, I looked around for something a bit smaller than .40 S&W or 9mm. It is a BUG after all.

About this time, I read an article in Shotgun News about a guy who carried a North American Arms .22 lr revolver for protection in Florida during a hurricane cleanup. So, I bought one.

After a while, I found that this wasn't really too good. Traded up to a Beretta Tomcat. Loved the flip open barrel but not the general configuration. Too thick and not very flat as I recall. I discovered the Kel-Tec P32 that is much narrower. Tried that for a while.

Eventually that P32 was traded for a Kel-Tec P-3AT that is the same size with a bit more punch. That is the BUG I've kept. I had a first generation that I carried until recently when I gave it to someone who needed it more than I did. So I now have a second generation version. Both have been very reliable after break-in. Actually, the second gen version has never given me any problems from the first shot.

I highly recommend the P-3AT both as a BUG and as casual carry. I normally carry it IWB in a Don Hume holster but for summer use in shorts or jeans carry, it fits nicely into the back pocket in another Hume holster. Also works well with Thunderwear.

Basically, I'd go with whatever is comfortable enough to carry that you will actually carry it. The perfect handgun sitting at home won't do you any good. I know that's trite but it never hurts to remind folks that you actually have to carry a gun for it to be of use in protecting you.

i've been carrying my taurus 85 in an ankle holster for about a month straight. it's great for work when i can't wear IWB. i hardly notice it at all, sometimes i have to check to see if i have it on. so when i get home from work and put on my SC i usually leave the .38 on my ankle

It really depends for me. There are some days I will carry a S&W m60 as a BUG to my Glock 19. But there are days if I am going to be repossessing cars at work, my Glock 19 becomes a BUG to my Glock 17, along with two 17 mags as spares. I guess it really boils down to the situation of the day. The bottom line is though always have a back-up.

Guest witchdr

Cobra derringer in .32 ACP. I've heard people say you can't hit with a derringer but over the last 3 years I've come to learn that these little guns are pretty accurateand with practice I can hit consistently at about 8 yards.But it does take practice and good ammo(I use COR-BON).Also these are inexpensive and easy to carry.I keep mine in a cross draw holster that is small enough for a tee shirt or vest to cover but still be accessible.

I had a German made 38 spl derringer for a while. Nice little piece and better made than ones I've seen recently in local gun shops.

What I found was I had to trust the sights rather than trying to sight down the barrel. It actually shot nicely but I prefer more than two shots.