Any other geocachers on here>

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a GPS for christmas the year, they "opened" the satellites to be more accurate. I did it for 2-3 years but haven't since I almost had an incident trying to find one when I was unarmed. :D One day I'll probably get back into it.

www.geocaching.com it's an addictive hobby where you use a gps unit to find a cache (where someone else has been) they vary in size from micro's to extra large ammo cans hidden in public places. there are literally hundreds around gallatin and hundreds of thousands around the world. the micro's usually have just a log you sign and the larger ones range from tupperware to ammo cans to anything that can hold stuff in it usually worthless trinkets but sometimes gift cards and other cool stuff. I dropped off a vintage boy scouts of america watch one time and people were so excited about finding it, there is also travel bugs and travel coins that go from cache to cahce by you. it's FREE and lots of fun and you dont even need a gps if you use google and then satelite view and a little clever thinking but it's MUCHO easier with a hand held gps unit. Kids love it because there is usually neat stuff in them for them to claim.
Guest Todd@CIS
any body else into geocaching here at TGO? Its quite an addictive hobby and it's FREE.

Lol, we have gotten more police calls for service (suspicious person) because of this...that's how I found out about it.

It was really bad when terrorism was more of the "hot topic."

It was kind of funny the first time a "suspicious person" was trying to explain it to me. :popcorn:

The Garmin Etrex Venture is a good unit to start with. It has a backlit color display and you can download cache locations from the net and have the unit navigate to them.

I bought a used one for $90.

I have been caching since the end of 2004 and although I don't have the time to do it as much as I once did I still enjoy it when I can. You can discover lots of cool places but now days you have to sort through the junk to find them. You would be surprised how many places are near home that you never knew about. It's also a fun way to use technology.

Was just introduced to it a few weeks ago...some friends all converged in Pulaski, and one brought some sites around there which we found...pretty dang nifty, IF there's a good story involved, and the clues are clever, which one of the searches was...

- OS