Reforming a grip

res308

1000000228.jpeg.10b9006b479f4d47e6b3c710c33889b9.jpeg

IMG_0808.jpeg.d7e7c13caae6560eba59276125a11d02.jpeg

IMG_0808.jpeg.dc015f585c203b4bd3fbc387bbdd1c34.jpeg

Now that the brace is off my broken wrist I can get back to leather work and gun work. 
The grip that came on my 629 did not fit my hand at all, and I HATE finger grooves. I’ve always wanted to try my hand at pistol grips, so today I jumped in. First set of grips I’ve ever tried. 
Shortened it by about 1/8” or so, removed the cursed finger grooves, cut down the sharp ledges toward the top of the grip on the sides, and sanded off the slick urethane finish. Added two coats of linseed oil. Might add some dark stain later. 
Feels really good in the hand, and now the 629 feels secure in my hand as well. 
Still knocks the ever-lovin-piss out of ya though. Nothing like shooting the good ole BFR. 
I think I’ve built up the courage now to try making a set of grips for the BFR. Got some black walnut and some osage orange coming. Might do both. 

Edited by res308
  • Like 9
1 hour ago, derf said:

If you were closer I’d set you up with some .44 special to let that wrist settle. Another option is giving me that ugly gun. BS aside,  I have the 4” version and love it. 

Thanks. I did get some 44 special, but I bought Underwood. I’m a big fan of their ammo. Most of the 44 special ammo I see is around 180 to 200 grain bullets at around 700 to 900 fps. This Underwood is a 255 grain Keith bullet at 1000 fps. Cuz, well, I’m a glutton for punishment. 
To answer the other question, the gun feels much more secure in my hand now than it did before. 

Your wook looks really good. But...I'm the oddball. I liked the finger groves on it. Why? Because I got small hands and it fit me. Now up front, I haven't shot that particular revolver; only held it and wiped the drool off before handing it back.

I haven't shot any 44 mag in years. Doubt it would be fun for me these days, but i did love it for a while. 6.5 inch 644 Dirty Harry and a Desert Eagle 44 were enough for me. 

Don't laugh, but I have a Taurus 4" 44 right now. That's the last one I've shot. It wasn't bad.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, hipower said:

Your wook looks really good. But...I'm the oddball. I liked the finger groves on it. Why? Because I got small hands and it fit me. Now up front, I haven't shot that particular revolver; only held it and wiped the drool off before handing it back.

I haven't shot any 44 mag in years. Doubt it would be fun for me these days, but i did love it for a while. 6.5 inch 644 Dirty Harry and a Desert Eagle 44 were enough for me. 

Don't laugh, but I have a Taurus 4" 44 right now. That's the last one I've shot. It wasn't bad.

My hands ain’t large at all but the finger grooves didn’t fit me. I like to grip a revolver high and the ridges were right in the way. 

I sure won’t be laughing at your .44 choice. I’ve always thought Taurus revolvers were well made. My old 627 Tracker .357 is one of the guns I most regret letting get away. 

I might very well have to wimp out and put some rubber grips on this 629. It’s still brutal despite the changes I made. 
It has amazed me the difference between shooting the 629 and the BFR. Even with heavy loads the BFR is pleasant. The extra weight and the Bisley grip frame make a whole lot of difference. 

• Like 1

I have looked at this thread a couple of times and it filled me with the spirit so, today I took my 629 (6 1/2" barrel) out on the farm and ran some rounds through it at some AR500 steel.  I had forgotten how smooth it runs and just how accurate it is with that long barrel.  

I carried a Ruger Blackhawk out also to run some .357 mag.  First time in a few years that I have shot .357 and .44 mag back to back and the difference is quite noticeable.  

Had a great time shooting these hand cannons although even with ear protection that steel was ringing like the Liberty Bell.  😁

• Like 2

Modifying grips is a fairly common practice. I've got several guns with grips that were modified to suit my needs.

In this picture, notice the Model 24 snubbie bottom center. I absolutely hate a round butt on a S&W N-frame. Those started out as a set of Ace round to square butt conversion target stocks. I chopped some off the bottom, lightened up the finger grooves and thinned the sides a bit to create a pair of semi-boot grips for this gun.  Comfortable and functional. 😉

NrKyogi.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...