Covenant Shooting In Nashville. Did I Miss Something?

I don't know if her(shooters) writings would provoke some one to go shoot up a school but one thing that has been released is the time frame from 911 call to dead shooter was being talked about in police departments across the country and that would start any possible shooter thinking that is not a lot of time to accomplish their goal. The police said this person spent 2 years planning this and doing all the research on TCS and Metro Police ended all her planning in 14 minutes. 

• Like 1

I think she planned to die all along, either by the hands of the police or her own hand.

I attribute the relatively low loss of life (one life is too many in my opinion) to both the efficiency of the MPD and the training and quick actions of the staff to secure the children and remove them as targets. She tried unsuccessfully to shoot her way into two different 3rd grade classrooms, expending I believe well over 100 rounds, in the effort. Only one death occurred after the  stairwell shooting  and that was Dr. Koonce.  Hale was unable to find or target any students once they were locked down.  

Thankfully, in all her planning and research, she didn’t realize the training that the staff had taken, nor did she know of the other measures the school implemented to secure the students and rooms.  The training of the teachers (especially the two third grade teachers) allowed them to very very quickly assess what was happening, and move their students back into the rooms, secure the doors, and prevent additional loss of life.

I praise the MPD officers who remained “visible “ outside the school, basically as targets to keep her occupied, which allowed the officers who entered the building to confront her. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
On 7/7/2023 at 12:34 PM, Hozzie said:

In the past I suspect many of us would probably agree in not releasing the information.  The problem today is that no one trusts anything they are told and for good reason.  

Most intelligent people want to make up their own mind on the 'value' and interpretation of information, but that is more and more being taken away from us giving the perception that something is being hidden.  Right or wrong, perception is reality now and the only way to combat it is for complete transparency as hard as that may be for those involved.

Amen!

On 7/4/2023 at 3:58 PM, Snaveba said:

It’s correct Hale chose the school due to a perceived lack of security and the isolated nature of being on the hill. She had considered two other schools as well as a public location but determined she would have more success at TCS. This is written in her notes which I will address in a sec. While there was not an SRO at the school, measures were already being put in place to have trained and armed staff on site along with the active shooter training they had recently completed. 

There was not a “Manifesto” as one might think. That was a poor choice of words for the police chief to use. There were 17 notebooks filled with research of every school shooting, logistics of the TCS building, camera locations, employee info, etc. Hale had been monitoring the building for two yrs and compiling info. She was hyper focused on this aspect thus the large amount of data on covenant and on how to successfully conduct a school shooting with maximum deaths.  According to police, this was the most planned school attack in US history and they're still processing info. It’s an active investigation that they expect will take another year to complete. It’s true the police don’t want this research and info out there since it will most definitely aid future shootings. 

As far as the school, church & parents not wanting the “manifesto” released, there are unwell people out there wishing harm towards the school as evidenced by continued letters and calls to the school. It’s unfathomable but the rumors people have created, pushed, and subsequent anger has made an unsafe environment for everyone there. My wife has fielded calls and received letters several times. People have traveled to Nashville to stalk the school. Releasing the notebooks would be equivalent to  police releasing schematics and security details of your personal home knowing someone activity wants to hurt your family. Protection of staff and children who are still experiencing trauma from seeing their classmates killed is paramount. 

Great comments, Sir. Good assessment of the situation and possible future events.

This tortured soul had problems. Of that there is little doubt. I question whether any one ideaology will explain this tragedy. All we can do is hope to learn from it and strive to protect our children and ourselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2