What kind of ammo do you use in your carry gun?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest archerdr1
Federal 45 Auto Hydra-Shok® JHP in my Ed Brown Special Forces. This ammo pretty difficult to find these days..

no kidding, I am stuck using Jacketed hollowpoints because I can't find any! but it will get the job done well enough.

Guest kingtone

Federal Vital Shok 140gr or Hornady 125gr XTP for the SP101 .357

(the Federal kicks like a mule...but i kinda like the round)

(or when my wife might use it at home i have the Speer Gold Dot 38spl +P 135 gr)

Winchester 115gr Jacketed HP in the XD9

recently started carrying the new hornady critical defense stuff instead of the usual +p hydrashoks (I carry 9mm)...

it's not +p, instead the they fill in the hollow point with rubber/plastic and the bullet is soft copper, the load is actually closer to a target load... makes for a bullet that penetrates through clothing (in case you aren't aware, most jhp's get clogged going through clothing causing them not to expand around half the time), and expands more consistantly...

did a phone book test with a cotton t-shirt over it... the hydrashoks went deeper, as for expantion it was no contest... hornady's mushroomed better, everytime.

the lighter recoil helps with follow up shots over the +p, and for me, I'd rather my misses stop in walls rather than go through so I'm ok with the lighter load after I've seen what happens if you don't miss.

science can be very scary!

recently started carrying the new hornady critical defense stuff instead of the usual +p hydrashoks (I carry 9mm)...

it's not +p, instead the they fill in the hollow point with rubber/plastic and the bullet is soft copper, the load is actually closer to a target load... makes for a bullet that penetrates through clothing (in case you aren't aware, most jhp's get clogged going through clothing causing them not to expand around half the time), and expands more consistantly...

did a phone book test with a cotton t-shirt over it... the hydrashoks went deeper, as for expantion it was no contest... hornady's mushroomed better, everytime.

the lighter recoil helps with follow up shots over the +p, and for me, I'd rather my misses stop in walls rather than go through so I'm ok with the lighter load after I've seen what happens if you don't miss.

science can be very scary!

Actually most test show that the newer stuff has overcome that issue. Hydrashoks are renowned for their clogging. they were great 20 years ago, but don't hold a candle to the newer offering such as HST, Ranger-T, Critical Defense, TAP, etc.

Does anyone have a good source to get some of the ammo listed above for 9mm? I mean, if I really owned a pistol or firearm of any type I would want to make sure I carried the right ammo..

I had some Federal +p mixed in with some 124gr Nato Ball but ended up shooting it up on a range day..