HJR0038 by Reedy

Am I reading this correct?

This is going away

That the citizens of this State have a right to keep and to bear arms for their
common defense; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing
of arms with a view to prevent crime.
and substituting instead the following:

and this is replacing the above?
defense.

If so I like it A LOT!!!

• Like 3
On 11/11/2023 at 9:44 AM, RED333 said:

Am I reading this correct?

This is going away

common defense; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing
of arms with a view to prevent crime.
and substituting instead the following:

and this is replacing the above?
defense.

If so I like it A LOT!!!

That is it.  The original 1796 Constitution said " That the free men of this State have a right to keep and to bear arms for their common defence." as our 2nd Amendment analogue. 

The new wording is what we need and I don't care what others may think, it is historically correct and what we as Tennesseans deserve.

Edited by Worriedman
  • Like 4

If I'm reading it correctly, the constitution says that proposed amendments have to be approved by both chambers of the legislature twice, once before and once after an election, then if approved, it has to be voted on by the citizens during a gubernatorial election.  So this would be a several years process?

11 hours ago, JN01 said:

If I'm reading it correctly, the constitution says that proposed amendments have to be approved by both chambers of the legislature twice, once before and once after an election, then if approved, it has to be voted on by the citizens during a gubernatorial election.  So this would be a several years process?

You are correct, and can only be put on the ballot in years of a governor's election.  The GA will try hard to keep this one off the ballot, even though it is needed, it can only be put up this year and next and then be on the ballot in 2026, or it waits till 2030 and that is too dang late.

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...

This is the only facially valid issue up for consideration this session.

It haws to be passed in both the House and Senate this year and then again next year to be on the ballot in 2026, as a Constitutional Amendment.

It is placed on Constitutional Amendment calendar in the House finance committee agenda (no date set yet).

John Stevens, the agreed upon Senate sponsor was wanting to wait till it was passed fully in the House before "picking it up" to run through the committee system in the Senate which would have resulted in it be dead this year, mandating we wait till 2030 to get it on the ballot.

I engaged a number of his constituents and got them to help me convince him that it was necessary to run the resolution concurrent with the House version, it has been interesting.  

I contacted the Sec. of State and the Clerks of both chambers to validate the Constitutionality of running it at the same time and was afforded the ruling that it was.

We will see what happens.

Anyone interested in taking back the rights enumerated in our 1796 Declaration of Rights needs to contact their Senators and insist they sign on as cosponsors and push for this resolution to be put on the ballot in '26.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Current House cosponsors:
 Todd, Sparks, Doggett, Slater, Barrett, Capley, Moody, Grills, Fritts, Cepicky, Martin B, Russell, Littleton, Moon, McCalmon, Keisling, Lamberth, Bulso, Boyd, Gant, Davis, Bricken, Richey, Darby, Hill, Garrett.

Need to get this to 50+ to force Senate to take action, only have three cosponsors there so far, Bailey, Bowling and Hensley. it has been assigned to Senate Judiciary, need Sen. Dawn White, Sen. Kerry Roberts, Sen Paul Rose, Sen. Jon Lundberg and Sen. Brett Taylor. Any of their constituents need to call and email asking for their support.