The Tattoo Thread

poak

I know there are several fans of "the ink" around here, so I thought I'd start a generic thread for general discussion about tats. You know, a place to throw around ideas, share experiences with different artists you've used, and even show off your ink if you want.

I've been getting the itch to get some more ink lately... Currently, I only have two tattoos, both of them are easily covered by clothing. I have no plans of breaking my "above the elbows, below the collar" rule.

For my next piece of work, I'm considering getting something patriotic. I'm thinking maybe the coiled snake and "don't tread on me" lettering of the Gadsen Flag, but I've been thinking more about getting the "Join of Die" drawing on the inside of my bicep:

join-die.gif

While I like the way Japanese artwork looks, I tend to prefer more "old school" tattoo designs.

I'm done rambling for now... it's someone else's turn.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a great idea I have ink and love it I have a large eagle holding a shield on my forearm and soldiers on my upper arm I am planning on a whole sleeve of just patriotic tattoos:rock:

Guest Astra900

Good topic!

Who is the absolute *money is no object* best ink man in the mid-ten area????

Hey, if it's gonna be there for life, may as well get it done right!

Cheap tattoos ain't good, and good tattoos ain't cheap!

I've got a few friends that use Jason St. Claire, and his work is awesome.

I get my work done by Mike @ Music City Tattoo, he does a lot of great Old School work. He and his wife run the shop, and his wife is an absolutely AMAZING tattoo artist. Their shop is on music row, and it's an old house converted for their biz. Their shop has a great, really personal feel to it.

Guest Astra900

My wife and I are thinking of getting some matching ink. Private (NOTHING PERVERTED!!!!) not for public view. We've been married 7 years, together bout 10, Don't look like she's getting away:D I know they won't because of health code stuff, but it would be cool if they would use the same needle. One of those bonding things. I don't understand why they can't, I've been, uhhh, well, for SEVEN years, you get it.:D:hat:

We ain't sure what we want to do, and won't be sharing it anyway when we do. We don't mind the $$$ though, we ain't rich, but we hate half assing stuff means something to both of us.

Finding a GOOD artist is something we are going to take our time about.

My wife and I are thinking of getting some matching ink. Private (NOTHING PERVERTED!!!!) not for public view. We've been married 7 years, together bout 10, Don't look like she's getting away:D I know they won't because of health code stuff, but it would be cool if they would use the same needle. One of those bonding things. I don't understand why they can't, I've been, uhhh, well, for SEVEN years, you get it.:D:hat:

We ain't sure what we want to do, and won't be sharing it anyway when we do. We don't mind the $$$ though, we ain't rich, but we hate half assing stuff means something to both of us.

Finding a GOOD artist is something we are going to take our time about.

I'd say go check out an artist, look at their books, then tell them some of your ideas and have them draw something up for you. Some artists charge for doing a design on paper for you, some don't. If they don't charge, throw them at least a $20. If they do, throw them a little something extra on top of their fee. They WILL remember you took care of them (much like a waiter/waitress remembers), and in turn, WILL take extra care of you. :)

Guest Astra900

That's pretty sound advice. THanks. I have ink on my wedding band finger. It's really sad work. The guy was a hack. One thing I want is that fixed. I thought about telling the artist, "Do something with it" and let their creative juices flow. I bet if I give a good artist free run, to do as they please, it'll come out awesome!

Edited by Astra900

I had mine done in Hawaii in about 1987 by some lady that you just had to be lucky to catch her in.It is a combination of 3 different designs that I picked from her wall. It is a shield with red and white stripes running up and down. An Eagle in the center. The bottom part of the shield has white stars with a blue background.A banner on top that says "Semper Fi" and a banner on the bottom that says "USMC". Back then if I remember right it cost me about $85.00.

I don't feel an Army tattoo deserves a spot. :)

Guest Ghostrider
Good topic!

Hey, if it's gonna be there for life, may as well get it done right!

Cheap tattoos ain't good, and good tattoos ain't cheap!

jason is good, I have one of his pieces. His style has changed over the years but he certainly has the talent.

Mandy Flynn is fantastic, but has moved to Austin (the night she finished my piece). I've also seen some fantastic work from Ben at Lone Wold, but he's very busy and hard to get big work done due to his schedule.

I have a shoulder cap and a back piece I want done, but I travel a lot and it's near impossible to get new work done.

Here is the start on my leg. I have the turkey and on the other side I am getting a deer then I will have my whole left leg from the knee to ankle sleeved in camo. I had my turkey done in color because I see so many just black and white ink. The person who done it was a real good friend of a friend.

DSCF1636-1.jpg

DSCF1636.jpg

tomcat @ imagine that tattoo in knoxville did two of my three. he even touched up someone else's work for me. i'll have to post pixs later. heart with yellow rose piercing it with stem touching an infinity sign, tiger lily under that touching infinity sign as well. significance: yellow rose my wifes favorite, my heart, the yellow rose is in my heart forever (cheezy???), the tiger lily is my daughters idea, have a mermaid on my upper back/shoulder, younger sis and I got matching as a bonding thing. ink is as addicting as guns.

Guest IzzyIsaac

Rhonda Marsh in Pigeon Forge did mine. She own's both Southern Draw's in Sevier County. The other is in Sevierville. Just Google her, I'm sure you will find alot on her. The stuff I've seen Will at her PF shop do is very good too!

PS. The red in the swallows chest is much more solid now. I was bleeding a little first go around so it was hard to tell.

n38411117_34288810_1799.jpg

n38411117_34288809_1461.jpg

Edited by IzzyIsaac
Noted a need for comment on the photo

Music City Tattoo, period. I think they are in myspace also. Laura and mike are tops. Very clean shop and nice atmosphere. A buddy and myself helped them get their shop up and running. Ben Dixon (Lone Wolf)wanted them to work with him if that says anything. You guys won't be dissapointed for sure.

Not a good pic, and not the most elaborate tats, but here are mine. Nautical star on the back of my arm, and some Latin lettering I had done on the back of my shoulder. The Latin was professionally translated for me. It's a line from one of my favorite books. In English it reads "Where we're standing right now, in the ruins in the dark, what we build could be anything".

I'm wanting something a little more elaborate next, not sure what though... Haven't decided if I want any color or not.

1005081355-1.jpg[/img]

... but I've been thinking more about getting the "Join of Die" drawing on the inside of my bicep:

join-die.gif

"joining" seems to be the main reason Big Brother has taken over states rights and the fed's infringement upon individual liberty . What with all the state sovereignty resolutions recently as prime examples, you might want to rethink this philosophy before you decide to live with it the rest of your life?

- OS

"joining" seems to be the main reason Big Brother has taken over states rights and the fed's infringement upon individual liberty . What with all the state sovereignty resolutions recently as prime examples, you might want to rethink this philosophy before you decide to live with it the rest of your life?

- OS

I hear ya, OS, and I agree w/ your sentiment. While the original cartoon was meant to be a call to unite the colonies against a common enemy, I think the cartoon still holds relevance in uniting those who desire liberty. Kind of a, "well, we'll ALL lose if all we do is stay at home and mash out rants on our keyboards" kind of thing, ya know?

IF I decide to get it (very much an if, nothing I'm to committed to, just kicking around ideas in here ;) ) I would scrap all text, both the "Join or Die" and the Lettering of each section of the snake, and leave only the snake graphic.

Not a good pic, and not the most elaborate tats, but here are mine. Nautical star on the back of my arm, and some Latin lettering I had done on the back of my shoulder. The Latin was professionally translated for me. It's a line from one of my favorite books. In English it reads "Where we're standing right now, in the ruins in the dark, what we build could be anything".

I'm wanting something a little more elaborate next, not sure what though... Haven't decided if I want any color or not.

1005081355-1.jpg[/img]

Have you even gone through puberty yet? ;)