Anybody been on a hog hunt?

My dad's 60th birthday is coming up and I want to do something really cool for him. I recognize that, in this stage of my life, one of the pay-to-play, guided hog hunts is likely going to be our best option. Curious if anyone has done something like that, or has any recommendations. 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A buddy and I did a more DIY hog hunt about 3 years ago down in South Texas. It was a mom and pop outfit so the amenities/options were minimal. They supplied the land, trail camera dumps, and a vehicle and whatever you shot would be processed for no additional cost. It was still $400/night for the both of us and we never saw a single hog. Next time I would spend far more for a better experience like one of the helicopter rides that guarantees a mess of hogs to perforate. 

1 hour ago, Alleycat72 said:

How well does he get around and what kind of hog hunting do you want to do? Some hog hunting involves a bit of walking over bad terrain. Some of it is relatively easy. 

This is going to drive the recommendation for sure.  I have been in SW texas and it has been as easy as driving the side by side to the blind and waiting at a feeder for them to show up.  The only real heavy lifting is pulling them onto the bed of the side by side when needed.  

4 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

How well does he get around and what kind of hog hunting do you want to do? Some hog hunting involves a bit of walking over bad terrain. Some of it is relatively easy. 

Well I’m 33, former Marine, and I’m pretty sure he is in better shape than I am. 

Edited by Thursty
13 hours ago, Thursty said:

Well I’m 33, former Marine, and I’m pretty sure he is in better shape than I am. 

On my last hunt, I walked just under 8 miles at night with 20 lbs of gun, ammo, and tripod through muddy fields. It's a blast, but by 4:30 in the morning...I'm smoked. That kind of hog hunting may or may not be what you want to do. You can hunt with dogs. Guys hunt out of a blind during the day. There are knife and spear hunting trips. High fence hunting. Hog swat will take you around in a heated or cooled van, find the hogs, and you get to use their equipment and ammo. (I've never hunted with them) It's kinda depends on what you want to do. 

I hunt at night only. I've never even hunting during the day so my experience is zero for day hunting. 

I have been in a unintentional knife fight with a hog. I do not recommend. 

I think Alleycat72 here has the most experience on this subject here,I get tips from him at times. For my first time I did( Hog Swat) near Plains GA about 4 hours from Nashville. I did this to get the hang of hog hunting. It was a great deal for first timer as you  stalk at night with thermal.  HS picks you up a dark and you go sight in first then head out in a van with two large screens and when you pull in a field any will show but only seen one this way about  300 yrds out.  Guide will get out and walk out in field and scan  right and left then stalk any or leave. The other van was said to have a drone that goes up looking for hogs.  I got one should have had six or eight but my fault. It was early Feb with a full moon and 60 degrees with a light breeze and the worst conditions for a hog hunt but still got in 70 yards of them. The ajso provide AR.ammo thermal and tripod.  Good deal as everything is provided and we were out 7 hours. I think maybe two mile stalking.  They will cut meat off but most people leave them for the yotes as some say they are only good to eat when under 50 lbs? I do not know.  You will get a lesson first on, open tripod,unsling gun,put in tripod all in dark,safety on when not shooting and use of a tourniquet .