First Handgun Recomendations?

Smith

My dad has decided he wants to get his HCP and is going to be getting a carry gun pretty soon. He has used guns since he was a kid and has a Rossi .357 Mag ATM, but I think he will want a small pocket type gun. He's not going to clean it a lot or go through a massive holster search whether IWB or OWB. I'm thinking a good pocket revolver, which I have no experience with. It also needs to be fairly simple and economical. What say you?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 270win

I have a hammerless S&W 642 airweight 38 Special snub. I have been extremely happy with it. S&W will smooth out the trigger action for around 75 bucks and you can keep your warranty. I plan on using that service pretty soon. I spent maybe ten to fifteen bucks on an uncle mike's pocket holster and the handgun hides in everything from khaki pants, jeans, and cargo shorts. It is easy to draw from the pocket, since it is hammerless. I'd go for the 642 because it is stainless. Most go for around the $400 range. It will last a lifetime and S&W has wonderful customer service.

442= Blued, 642= Stainless

I have the S&W 442 and it is easy to conceal with a good pocket holster. It is identical to the 642 other than finish. The 442 is a black finish(not the old type blue) whereas the 642 is stainless. I've had mine since last Oct. and have fired it a few times. It is not a weapon that is enjoyable to shoot, especially with the +P ammo, but it is great to slip in the pants pocket.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I second the recommendations for a 442/642. Also give your Dad Kudos from all of us here at TGO. Good for him for taking that step and standing up for his 2nd amendment rights.

Smith,

Not intending to knit pick on what others have said, but just a note of clarification.

The both the 642 and 442 have aluminum alloy frames. As noted earlier, the finish is different.

The 642 has a stainless cylinder, the 442 has a carbon steel cylinder.

I've got the 642 and am very happy.

Guest Watauga

A small .38 ultra light revolver in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster is a good carry combination. Taurus or S&W both are reliable and have good power.

What's the story on the Charter Arms 2000? I'm looking at the 442/642 equivalents from other manufactures, mainly for cost considerations. Basically I've seen Taurus, S&W, Ruger, and Charter Arms. Any others?

What's the story on the Charter Arms 2000? I'm looking at the 442/642 equivalents from other manufactures, mainly for cost considerations. Basically I've seen Taurus, S&W, Ruger, and Charter Arms. Any others?

Don't get a Charter that says "Charter 2000" or "Charco" on it.

Older and current ones that are "Charter Arms" should be as fine a "second tier" wheelie as a Taurus.

Matter of fact between Taurus and Charter, I'd go Charter, since US made.

- OS

• 4 weeks later...
Guest HexHead

I've got a 442 and a Mika pocket holster for it. I also have a Bianchi OWB for it which I rarely use, but might start once I don't have to care about printing in a restaurant. :drool:

The Mika pocket holster is a huge improvement over the Uncle Mike's one I got while I was waiting for the Mika. Pistol slides in/out very easily and the holster really stays in your pocket.

btw, there have been some reports of the clear coat finish on the 642 peeling off. I also learned with my first revolver (S&W Model 63) I don't like stainless revolvers.

Smith J frame period.

I heartily second the J frame smith advice. Translates to a small frame 5 shot 38 special revolver made by Smith and Wesson (I've never owned one; but is suspect that Taurus would work as well; but i dont know the appropriate model numbers).

Everything from the old time smith model 36 steel frame gun (which you can find pretty reasonably every now and then) up to the new "magic" alloys like scandium. J frames are great guns; and the 2 inch barrel will work well in an inside the pocket holster or inside the belt.

There are some who will tell you that the 38 special is not powerful enough for personal defense -- not so --- there are plenty of bad guys in the graveyard who were dispatched with the 38 special by men who could shoot straight.

I have one in a kydex pocket holster made by Allen Miller in Greenville, TN. He makes a great product at a very reasonable price. Website is : Welcome to Aholster.

Kind regards,

LEROY

Guest Phantom6

I would reccomend the Taurus 851 shrouded hammer 38+P in SS either steel or AirLite or the new Ruger LCP. The Taurus is every bit as good as the Smith at 1/3 off the cost and the Ruger is lighter than the ammo it shoots but with the new Hogue grip that was specially designed for it it kicks no more than a regular steel frame gun. We are selling quite a few of the Ruger LCP's and Taurus 851's in our shop.

Guest Hemo

If he has been shooting for a while and is not freakishly figured, get him a Black Hawk j-frame holster (the one that will hold any small frame revolver) and tell him to carry for a while. Honestly...I can carry my sp101 as easily as my GF's 638, and those two are polar oppisites. Figure out if he is happy with what he has... Who knows he may come back saying he wants a Deagle .50.

Unless he has the Rossi 6"...let him play some then work with him directly.

Get another really cheap holster and let him carry the 4" if thats what he has... Who knows, he may just want a Milt sparks holster for what he has(even if it's not a small frame.)