Accurate 2520 and .308

So I am having trouble finding much info on Accurate 2520-

From what I have found it appears to be good in lighter .308 loads say from-150gr on down-

I was wondering if anyone here uses it and how you like it-

I used our search function and only found references from around 2014-

Edited by krunchnik

I have an old Sierra load book from the 70's it has a lot of powders listed for loads that aren't listed in a lot of current books and the powders are still readily available. I'll check when I get home and see if I find anything聽

• Like 1

I have used quite a bit of 2520聽 in Heavy 556, 8mm and .308 size cases. The thing to keep in mind when loading it is it's temperature sensitive and it makes better groups just above starting loads聽聽

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Sunfish said:

The 125 gr. stuff may be a little lite. 150's will probably group better. If your rifle is 1-12 it could work with the 125 gr. stuff

Yea-it's 1-10 so I guess I will find out tomorrow hopefully-

100 yards with Speer 125gr TNT-44.0 Accurate 2520-

I have no doubt as to the accuracy of this load-I do however doubt my ability to make myself more accurate with the tools I have at the range-馃幆

.308 SFAR 125gr TNT 100YDS.JPEG

• Like 1

I haven't used AA2520 in my .308 in quite a while, but it worked well when I did.

"Back in the Day", I worked up the following loads (spread from 44.6 to 45.0 grs.)

In FL sized RP brass utilizing CCI #200 primers and Hornady 165 gr. SPBT bullets, I recorded the following:

44.6 grs. - 2,669 fps. - 4 rds. into 1.083" at 100 yds.

45.0 grs. - 2,696 fps. - 4 rds. into 1.663" at 100 yds.

Velocities are actual taken from an Ohler chronograph. The AA2520 loads were taken from the 1st Accurate Loading Manual.聽

As always, check this info yourself and exercise the appropriate caution. The loads were safe in My Rifle - your results may vary.

I hope this info is helpful.

WYT-P

Skyhunter

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Skyhunter said:

I haven't used AA2520 in my .308 in quite a while, but it worked well when I did.

"Back in the Day", I worked up the following loads (spread from 44.6 to 45.0 grs.)

In FL sized RP brass utilizing CCI #200 primers and Hornady 165 gr. SPBT bullets, I recorded the following:

44.6 grs. - 2,669 fps. - 4 rds. into 1.083" at 100 yds.

45.0 grs. - 2,696 fps. - 4 rds. into 1.663" at 100 yds.

Velocities are actual taken from an Ohler chronograph. The AA2520 loads were taken from the 1st Accurate Loading Manual.聽

As always, check this info yourself and exercise the appropriate caution. The loads were safe in My Rifle - your results may vary.

I hope this info is helpful.

WYT-P

Skyhunter

Thanks much for the data-

It's kind of what I had thought-44.0 grains seemed to zip right along and give no stress marks or primer flattening-

I think this load is the one I will stay with-at least where 168gr is concerned-

Posted (edited)

I just noticed that both of my AA2520 loads-

125gr Speer TNT-44.0 grains-

168gr Honady BTHPM-42.0 grains-

I suppose I could juice my lighter TNT load up a bit-but it shoots good where it's at-

Edited by krunchnik
wrong data 42.0 not 44.0

I would highly recommend buying a copy of the most recent Accurate reloading manual. I don't know if they've published a 3rd edition, but I've got the first two.聽

In today's world of scarce reloading components, having reliable references for whatever powder you can lay hands on is invaluable. My Bride refers to my manuals as the "Reloading Library" and she's not wrong. I have manuals going back to the 1950's as well as the little "pamphlet style" that the powder manufacturers used to annually give out.聽

AA-2520 is my "go to" powder for .223/5.56 in AR's. AA-4064 & AA-4350 have proven to be applicable for loads in 30-06 and with other bullets in .308. There are a number of other AA powders available, but these three have filled my requirements quite nicely.

WYT-P

Skyhunter

55 minutes ago, Skyhunter said:

I would highly recommend buying a copy of the most recent Accurate reloading manual. I don't know if they've published a 3rd edition, but I've got the first two.聽

In today's world of scarce reloading components, having reliable references for whatever powder you can lay hands on is invaluable. My Bride refers to my manuals as the "Reloading Library" and she's not wrong. I have manuals going back to the 1950's as well as the little "pamphlet style" that the powder manufacturers used to annually give out.聽

AA-2520 is my "go to" powder for .223/5.56 in AR's. AA-4064 & AA-4350 have proven to be applicable for loads in 30-06 and with other bullets in .308. There are a number of other AA powders available, but these three have filled my requirements quite nicely.

WYT-P

Skyhunter

55 minutes ago, Skyhunter said:

WYT-P

Skyhunter

Yup-I have a Lyman and their hardcast manual-a Lee-a very old Speer manual that is probably as old as I am-Hornady 50th Edition I believe-

And also have a subscription to Ammoguide and Load Data-

A person can never have too much information-

Accurate now is under Hogden's pervue with load data on their site for free-

• Like 1

Well as an update I will not use CFE223 for my .308 loads-accuracy suffers and velocity is not on the par with AA2520-

I guess for .308 I will stick with Accurate in the lighter and heavier bullets-

Seems to work well in both-

Relegat聽 my CFE223 to 30-30 which it works very well in and my .223 loads-