• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally made it back.

The class was held at the Executive Protection Bureau (http://www.epbsecurity.com/) in Tullahoma.

The Instructor trains law enforcement and security agencies around the US and in other countries, so he knows quite a bit about self defense and handgun law. I figure that he just gets carried away with his job and likes to blow a little smoke like most folks will when teaching a class.

And in response to another reply, a very knowledgeable instructor can screw the pooch once in a while just like any one else, so I don't hold stuff like that against them. I feel that I am ultimately responsible for knowing what is and isn't legal and that these classes are more for hammering a little common sense into the average Joe. I have learned more about the legal use of deadly force and understanding the ramifications for using it from reading and studying "In The Greatest Extreme".

Actually, I wanted to go to Safety South in Murfreesboro but didn't want to wait on the class, so I went local and spent more ($100). But I did get the class over with sooner and I am now waiting on TN DOS.

about a year ago in a traffic stop i had a state trooper and a rhea county officer tell me i couldnt carry in a bank, couldnt open carry. once i realized i wouldnt get a ticket for my infraction we went round and round over it. i told them both they were dead wrong and would prove it. printed it out but they would not return my phone calls. i have copies in both my vehicles now.

Finally made it back.

The class was held at the Executive Protection Bureau (http://www.epbsecurity.com/) in Tullahoma.

The Instructor trains law enforcement and security agencies around the US and in other countries, so he knows quite a bit about self defense and handgun law. I figure that he just gets carried away with his job and likes to blow a little smoke like most folks will when teaching a class.

And in response to another reply, a very knowledgeable instructor can screw the pooch once in a while just like any one else, so I don't hold stuff like that against them. I feel that I am ultimately responsible for knowing what is and isn't legal and that these classes are more for hammering a little common sense into the average Joe. I have learned more about the legal use of deadly force and understanding the ramifications for using it from reading and studying "In The Greatest Extreme".

Actually, I wanted to go to Safety South in Murfreesboro but didn't want to wait on the class, so I went local and spent more ($100). But I did get the class over with sooner and I am now waiting on TN DOS.

Hmmm...well teaching all over the country could be part of it. Banks are off limtis in some states.

I also agree it is up to each individual to know the laws for themselves and expand their knowledge beyond the basic safety class. However if I am paying for something, I expect to get a quality product (i.e. correct information)

------

On another note that maybe some of the HCP instructors on here can answer.... How much of curriculum laid about the state covers the law? Or do must instructors add that as part of their own curriculum?

My personal belief is that it is "not smart" to open carry anywhere (other than hunting of course). Number one, you don't want a "bad guy" to see you have a weapon because believe me....it will be their goal to take it from you and use it on others. If there are 3 bad guys that are all eyeballing your piece and only you with it on your hip....well.....that is an open invite to it being taken from you if you are not careful. Never give the bad guy the upper hand. I always carry concealed for that very reason. All it takes is you turning your head one time and not having control of your weapon in the open holster and......well, you could be dead and others could be dead. I am for conceal carry. It is for safety reasons. I also do not like the idea of leaving my gun locked in my car. Even though right now I don't really have a choice when it comes to certain places.....ex: Church, Schools, establishments that serve alcohol, state parks). If the gun is in the car then there is always the chance of a "smash & grab". I do not want to aid the bad guys in getting guns. I believe properly trained individuals that pass the background check and everything else that is required, should be able to carry in church, school,parks,& restaurants that serve alcohol. Gun free zones are killing zones. I just think we all should consider being very very mindful of our weapons and how we choose to carry and try to be responsible with our weapons so nobody gets a hold of it and uses it for something other than self defense.

Has anyone else noticed a pattern of inconsistent instruction from students taking classes from Sheriff's Dept's and local police agency's? The real problem is they dont take the time to learn the real law, they just teach THEIR interpretation of what they want the public to know. IMHO thats just wrong.

Now concerning the instructor whom taught the thread starter, I think this is just another example of a guy that has spent good money on a cool website but doesn't bother learning the law. The thing is... the site doesn't say anything about who teaches their classes nor what their actual qualifications really are. Its Sad really.

You know the state asks for us to turn in all this information about permit holders after each class but never follows up on it to see who's teaching what.;)

My personal belief is that it is "not smart" to open carry anywhere (other than hunting of course). Number one, you don't want a "bad guy" to see you have a weapon because believe me....it will be their goal to take it from you and use it on others. If there are 3 bad guys that are all eyeballing your piece and only you with it on your hip....well.....that is an open invite to it being taken from you if you are not careful. Never give the bad guy the upper hand. I always carry concealed for that very reason. All it takes is you turning your head one time and not having control of your weapon in the open holster and......well, you could be dead and others could be dead. I am for conceal carry. It is for safety reasons. I also do not like the idea of leaving my gun locked in my car. Even though right now I don't really have a choice when it comes to certain places.....ex: Church, Schools, establishments that serve alcohol, state parks). If the gun is in the car then there is always the chance of a "smash & grab". I do not want to aid the bad guys in getting guns. I believe properly trained individuals that pass the background check and everything else that is required, should be able to carry in church, school,parks,& restaurants that serve alcohol. Gun free zones are killing zones. I just think we all should consider being very very mindful of our weapons and how we choose to carry and try to be responsible with our weapons so nobody gets a hold of it and uses it for something other than self defense.

I know your still fairly new Nikki and it was brought up in this thread, but OC vs CC has been discussed at great lengths in many different threads on this board.

On another note....It is legal to carry in a church or other house of worship in TN. Unless it's posted of course.

Has anyone else noticed a pattern of inconsistent instruction from students taking classes from Sheriff's Dept's and local police agency's? The real problem is they dont take the time to learn the real law, they just teach THEIR interpretation of what they want the public to know. IMHO thats just wrong.

Now concerning the instructor whom taught the thread starter, I think this is just another example of a guy that has spent good money on a cool website but doesn't bother learning the law. The thing is... the site doesn't say anything about who teaches their classes nor what their actual qualifications really are. Its Sad really.

You know the state asks for us to turn in all this information about permit holders after each class but never follows up on it to see who's teaching what.;)

I think you may be on to something. Just like jughead metioned about his interactions. They may at times make their prefence known and even if not right out say it is the law, strongly suggest it is or it best to follow what they say.

You'd think the state would want to know "exactly" what is being taught beyond what they require.

• Administrator
I also do not like the idea of leaving my gun locked in my car. Even though right now I don't really have a choice when it comes to certain places.....ex: Church, Schools, establishments that serve alcohol, state parks)

Sadly you do have firsthand experience in respect to establishments that serve, but places of worship are not on the "No Carry" list here in Tennessee. I always carry at church and our church leadership has even instituted a forceful response program among those who carry in case the unspeakable should occur.

• Administrator
I know your still fairly new Nikki and it was brought up in this thread, but OC vs CC has been discussed at great lengths in many different threads on this board.

Nikki may be new to TGO but she's not new to the ramifications of not being able to defend yourself in places where alcohol are served. You might recall her story in the news recently.

Link: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handgun-carry-self-defense/21228-restaurant-carry-bill.html

happened to me again today, I am not kidding. Stopped at the 1st TN Bank in Bearden to do my weekly bidness. Rent a cop was standing outside the door. I went in, a moment later here he comes. I do my business with the bank, thank the teller and walk out the door. As I get in the van I look back toward the door and the guard is now outside the building, smiles and nods towards me. WTF??? And I do not use the exact same branch every week, just depends where I am at.

I was not printing, in spite of the "picture" I really do not see myself as looking like a threat. Did I mention the gun was not printing or showing in any way?

FWIW The johnny law I took my class from taught us well. I have never seen anything he taught contradicted here.

PS: rightwinger, that cracked me up, still chuckling here

Nikki may be new to TGO but she's not new to the ramifications of not being able to defend yourself in places where alcohol are served. You might recall her story in the news recently.

Link: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handgun-carry-self-defense/21228-restaurant-carry-bill.html

Oh I know she's not knew to carry and what can happen. Also wasn't passing and judgement on her opinion about open carry. I just meant she was new to TGO and she may not know the topic of OC has been talked about at great length in other thread dedicated to the topic not to mention the many that were hijacked into talking about it.

Well it's good to know I can carry one more place I thought that I couldn't....church. I had no idea. That makes me feel a whole lot better knowing I don't have to leave my gun in my car there. I really don't like doing that because of the whole "smash & grab" possibility. So I am hearing some people say you can carry in a bank and then others saying you cannot. Which is it? Only if it's posted? Is there an up to date website out there that gives all this information of where you can and cannot carry in the state of Tn? Most everything I know is what I learned in my handgun carry permit course. It was an all day course in a classroom the 1st day and then a day at the range. I also took an Intermediate shooting course and was involved in a Second Amendment Sisters Shooting Competition (I came in 3rd out of about 16). I am on the waiting list for an advanced shooting course. I am curious to know what all the advanced course will cover. I wish this law had passed a year ago. I really do. Ben & I would be trying to have a baby soon if he was here. We had planned on it. I had already bought a baby crib (I found one at a great deal) and went ahead and got it early. I see it and it makes me so sad. Knowing what my life would have been like with Ben and knowing now that it will never be what I wanted it to be. I go home to a house without laughter, no "hey babe! How was your day? I made ya' dinner!" It's just very quiet and very empty and very depressing. Not at all the way my life was before. Ben always loved TV Land shows like The Andy Griffith Show or The Wild Wild West. I used to poke fun at him for watching those shows (but I would sit and watch them with him), Now I would give anything in the world to watch Andy Griffith 24-7 if I had to. I would not wish this on my worst enemy.

Nikki, you can look at this post for info on carry and self-defense laws and a few other things.

I know it's hard, but try to stay strong...remember what I told you and I believe anyone on TGO is here for you if you need anything.

So I am hearing some people say you can carry in a bank and then others saying you cannot. Which is it? Only if it's posted? Is there an up to date website out there that gives all this information of where you can and cannot carry in the state of Tn? ....

You CAN carry in banks, unless they are PROPERLY posted. (a simple gun pic w/ slash through it doesn't cut it).

TN laws re weapons at:

Legal Resources

You want Title 39: Chapter 17: Part 13

Condensed version good sources are:

Handgunlaw.us

(click on TN on map)

and

NRA-ILA ::

(click on TN on map)

best regards...

- OS

Guest Mugster

You know the state asks for us to turn in all this information about permit holders after each class but never follows up on it to see who's teaching what.:D

I notice a huge sucking sound on anything the .gov is involved in.

happened to me again today, I am not kidding. Stopped at the 1st TN Bank in Bearden to do my weekly bidness. Rent a cop was standing outside the door. I went in, a moment later here he comes. I do my business with the bank, thank the teller and walk out the door. As I get in the van I look back toward the door and the guard is now outside the building, smiles and nods towards me. WTF??? And I do not use the exact same branch every week, just depends where I am at.

I was not printing, in spite of the "picture" I really do not see myself as looking like a threat. Did I mention the gun was not printing or showing in any way?

FWIW The johnny law I took my class from taught us well. I have never seen anything he taught contradicted here.

PS: rightwinger, that cracked me up, still chuckling here

I was hoping to make your day. You are my hero...I want to be a real grouch, er... staunch conservative like you someday Mr. Mike.357.

You better make sure your vehicle isn't bugged or something...the security corps of America obviously has you marked.

Guest grimel
Finally made it back.

The Instructor trains law enforcement and security agencies around the US and in other countries, so he knows quite a bit about self defense and handgun law.

You come to this conclusion how?

Just to share...

I took my CHP class with about 30 bank employees, AT THE BANK! They have held 2 more full classes since the first was such a success.

If you live in Clarksville, you should bank at First Federal Savings bank. They are on our side.

Guest jmac
Just to share...

I took my CHP class with about 30 bank employees, AT THE BANK! They have held 2 more full classes since the first was such a success.

If you live in Clarksville, you should bank at First Federal Savings bank. They are on our side.

Did you use the safe as a range for the qualifying portion? :D

The question about bank carry was brought up in my class in Greenbrier because someone asked a question about off-limit areas. This led to various different areas where posting is required for off-limit status. My instructor answered correctly.

Guest crystalm

;)

I took my class with the Dickson Co. Sheriff. Thankfully, I took it upon myself to know as much about TN laws before hand.

He didn't say much of anything about laws other than if a business said "no guns" that you couldn't carry there and if a LEO pulls you over while carrying, to inform them for your safety. He made a big stink about joining the NRA and that he didn't think it was a big deal for people to carry and that the class was BS.

I don't recommend it, but it was cheap and I took the classes 2 years ago in another state.

:lol:

I took my class with the Dickson Co. Sheriff. Thankfully, I took it upon myself to know as much about TN laws before hand.

He didn't say much of anything about laws other than if a business said "no guns" that you couldn't carry there and if a LEO pulls you over while carrying, to inform them for your safety. He made a big stink about joining the NRA and that he didn't think it was a big deal for people to carry and that the class was BS.

I don't recommend it, but it was cheap and I took the classes 2 years ago in another state.

sounds like a another 3-4 hour class to me...