Sen. Alexander votes against guns in national parks

Guest johnnyo

Guest johnnyo

More here. Here's the vote. AP story. Another story. It appears he was the lone Republican voting against it. Here's his no vote.

UPDATE: Just confirmed with his office he did vote against the measure. Details coming.

UPDATE II: Here's the statement his office just e-mailed me: I have consistently been a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights, but this legislation goes too far - further than President Reagan, further than President Bush, and further than Tennessee law.

UPDATE III: TN's other senator, Bob Corker, voted for the measure.

UPDATE IV: Glenn Reynolds: Not a good move for Lamar.

SayUncle: Neither Bush was exceptionally friendly to gun rights. While Reagan signed the Firearms Owners Protection Act, it also contained the Hughes amendment.

Rustmeister's Alehouse: Ok, Mister Senator, but I have to ask: Does it go further than the US Constitution? Or, for that matter, the desires of your constituents ?

UPDATE V: Statement from Sen. Bob Corker, R-TN: I understand the importance of ensuring the safety of people visiting our national parks as well as protecting our nation's wildlife from illegal poaching. I believe states should have the ability to weigh these considerations in carrying out their responsibility to regulate firearms within their borders.

Posted by Michael Silence on May 13, 2009

Sen. Alexander votes against guns in national parks | No Silence Here | knoxnews.com

Lamar Lone GOP Vote Against Guns In National Parks

By Kleinheider Posted on May 13, 2009 at 10:28 am

The U.S. Senate yesterday approved 67-29 an amendment to the Credit Cardholders’ Bill of Rights Act of 2009 that would restore concealed carry rights in national parks.

In March, Federal District Court Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly issued a preliminary injunction against the Department of the Interior rule that would have allowed the carrying of firearms in national parks.

Sen. Tom Coburn sponsored the amendment which allows firearms in parks and wildlife refuges, as long as they are allowed by federal, state and local law.

“If an American citizen has a right to carry a firearm in their state, it makes no sense to treat them like a criminal if they pass through a national park while in possession of a firearm,†Coburn said.

Twenty-seven Democrats joined 39 Republicans and one independent in supporting the amendment

Tennessee’s Lamar Alexander was the lone Republican against the amendment.

Alexander issued a statement to the Knoxville News Sentinel’s Michael Silence following the vote.

“I have consistently been a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights, but this legislation goes too far - further than President Reagan, further than President Bush, and further than Tennessee law,†said Alexander in an email.

scorce: Lamar Lone GOP Vote Against Guns In National Parks : Post Politics: Political News and Views in Tennessee

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion Senator Alexander has been one of the biggest disappointments Tennessee has ever had. He was not that great of a Governor and has has continued to disappoint me as a Senator. He clearly does not vote the consensus of of his constituents. The first place the GOP needs to start rebuilding is that seat in the Senate.

It was brought up in another thread, who will we vote for if we are all against Lamar? Is there an alternative?

I heard the name Ford Jr mentioned. I know nothing about this guy. Is Ford he a Democrat?

Ford Jr. is a very liberal Dem. Gotta get a Republican in the primaries, or an Independant to run against Alexander. I have a low opinion of Alexander and Ford both.

By the way, Harold Ford Jr's brother, John, was busted in the Tennessee Waltz sting. The whole family are crooks.

Edited by Good_Steward
Ford Jr. is a very liberal Dem. Gotta get a Republican in the primaries, or an Independant to run against Alexander. I have a low opinion of Alexander and Ford both.

By the way, Harold Ford Jr's brother, John, was busted in the Tennessee Waltz sting. The whole family are crooks.

OK, Ford is not a viable choice, so who is/are the potential replacements for Lamar? Is anyone considering running?

EDIT: It appears that Lamar crushed his oponents in the last election.

Winner: Lamar AlexanderLamar Alexander Rep. 1,571,585 65.2% Incumbent

Robert D. Tuke Dem. 762,778 31.6%

Edward L. Buck Ind. 31,536 1.3%

Christopher Fenner Ind. 11,038 0.5%

Daniel Lewis Ind. 9,306 0.4%

Chris Lugo Ind. 9,102 0.4%

Ed Lawhorn Ind. 8,949 0.4%

David Gatchell Ind. 7,613 0.3%

Edited by ukerduker
I agree. I just wrote him again, but I already knew he didnt represent us.

I wrote Lamar an e-mail about voting and speaking against CIFTA and I recieved a generic response e-mail back. It read as though it was a campaing ad with no mention of CIFTA or anything current so it had been written by, probably a campaing worker long ago when he was running for Senate. Also when I wrote him I had to fill out some info and include the title, gun control issues, so I bet a simple computer program reads that and sends the proper response. I seriously doubt he reads any e-mails or even cares.

Maybe, the people to e-mail should be the Tennessee Republican Party to express our dissappointment in him and some others. I didn't recieve any response from Corker. Personally I believe it's a waste of typing writing directly to them.

OK, Ford is not a viable choice, so who is/are the potential replacements for Lamar? Is anyone considering running?

EDIT: It appears that Lamar crushed his oponents in the last election.

Winner: Lamar AlexanderLamar Alexander Rep. 1,571,585 65.2% Incumbent

Robert D. Tuke Dem. 762,778 31.6%

Edward L. Buck Ind. 31,536 1.3%

Christopher Fenner Ind. 11,038 0.5%

Daniel Lewis Ind. 9,306 0.4%

Chris Lugo Ind. 9,102 0.4%

Ed Lawhorn Ind. 8,949 0.4%

David Gatchell Ind. 7,613 0.3%

Marsha Marsha Marsha Blackburn?

Guest HexHead

I've always felt that Alexander was at best worthless. At reelection time, I couldn't think of one single piece of legislation he put through or anything he did to benefit us.

Now I know my initial impression was correct.

Guest GUNSFORHIRE

****er needs to go! he is no friend of Gun Owners regardless of what he attempts to make voters believe..

He is in line for being RINO of the year!

I absolutely refuse to vote for Alexander now if he makes it to the general election (it would be great to see a "regular" person run and beat him!) If it's between him and a dem, I will vote for the dem next time because they can't be ANY WORSE THAN HIM! Plus, maybe in the next election we can get a true conservative in his seat. I wish people would stop voting for people just because they are in a certain party.

Matthew

We might as well continue to show our discontent with emails and phone calls, as we are stuck with this guy for another 5.5 years. He was just re-elected in NOV 2008.

From the way he is voting, he doesn't plan to see his career go beyond this final term.

Guest HexHead

Just sent him this...

Senator,

I understand you were the lone Republican to vote against allowing legal, licensed handgun carry permit holders to carry in National Parks. I also understand you made this statement about it.

"I have consistently been a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights, but this legislation goes too far "

Now you've gone too far. I voted to elect you and to reelect you in the past election (even though I couldn't think of a single thing you'd accomplished in your first term). I won't be making that mistake again. I'll remember how you voted on this issue and you've lost my vote. I'll be sure my family and friends know how I feel about this as well. You might as well do like Spector and just change parties.

:usa: