Springfield XDs Owners check in.

Punisher84

and have to have it refinished 2 times already.

This is probally the whole thing in a nutshell.

I had a guy teflon coat it, didn't do it right so it peeled right off after a little while, and then had Predator arms in Knoxvile "duracoat" it, it's begining to wear around the edges, they gave me a lifetime warranty (I think), but I seem to recall that "it will wear around the edges, so that's not included".

They did a heck of a job with it. I'd recommend them to anyone. However IMHO we have to find something that "bonds" better with some of these new metals.

I may call pretador next week and let them make a "judgement" call.

This is my DAILY carry, I don't go anywhere without it, if I end up in a posted place I keep a safe in my auto to secure it.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All XD's made after April '06 have the melonite finish. So it looks like you have the brunial, which is why you had a lot of problems with it, you have to religiously maintain the brunial finish if you don't want anything to happen to it. Whereas the melonite finish is almost identical to glock's tennifer finish and can stand up to a lot more abuse.

All XD's made after April '06 have the melonite finish. So it looks like you have the brunial, which is why you had a lot of problems with it, you have to religiously maintain the brunial finish if you don't want anything to happen to it. Whereas the melonite finish is almost identical to glock's tennifer finish and can stand up to a lot more abuse.

Thanks for the info, Now where on the scale does "duracoat" fall? or should I look at the robar finish?

I'm a gun n00b and I'm not really familiar with duracote. As for robar, Tungsten sent his xd out for the np3 finish and should be getting it back soon, I'd suggest checking that thread every once in a while.

I'm a gun n00b and I'm not really familiar with duracote. As for robar, Tungsten sent his xd out for the np3 finish and should be getting it back soon, I'd suggest checking that thread every once in a while.

Thanks I entered a sub. to his thread. I'm thinking that Predator arms might fix it at a discount, not sure though

• Administrator

For a daily carry gun, you probably won't be able to beat a hard chrome refinish. Far more durable even than the Robar NP3 or Roguard products. There are a bunch of places that will redo your XD in hard chrome, and I can provide contact information if that's what you desire.

One nice thing about HC is that it can be done in such a way that it has a more matte like appearance, so if shiny isn't your mug o' beer then you can have it a little duller.

As for the Robar NP3... I've heard that it holds up extremely well also. I'll be able to give you a better feel for the look and quality of it after I receive my XD9 back from Robar. Which should be just about any day now.

• 2 months later...
Guest Fred LE FI

This is my DAILY carry, I don't go anywhere without it, if I end up in a posted place I keep a safe in my auto to secure it.

Concealed means never having to say you're sorry...(Not bein' a smarta**, thats a reference to an old ad campaign)

I'm one of Gaston's biggest fans; personally responsible for literally hundreds of people choosing Glocks.

That said - though I'll never part with my G17, G19,G22, or God forbid, my beloved G23 - I traded my G21 for an XD 45 Compact and couldn't posssibly be happier. If it stands the test of time, the XD 45 may someday equal the G23 in my eyes.

That's high praise, 'cause the G23 is arguably the best carry gun on the market.

Fred

• Administrator

That's high praise, 'cause the G23 is arguably the best carry gun on the market.

I whole heartedly concur... about 90%. I had a G23 and loved it. Arguably one of the best guns I have ever owned. But it ultimately was replaced by my M&P 40c (compact) because of several things that the M&P has over the G23:

• Fully supported chamber -- allows for shooting reloads or hot rounds
  • Traditional rifled barrel rather than octagonal -- allows for unjacketed lead
  • Better ergonomics due to adjustable backstrap
  • Made in the USA

I couldn't be happier with my little M&P. It has never failed to feed, never failed to eject, never had an unintentional magazine drop and is perfectly sized between the Glock 23 and the Glock 27.

One of these days I will buy another Glock 23 to add back to my collection just because I have fond memories of that gun and am sentimental about things in a silly way like that. But I doubt I'll ever carry a Glock 23 again with as happy as I am with the M&P compact.

Your mileage might vary. But that's what makes capitalism so nice; we all have choices and guns that meet our tastes. :)

Guest hacksaw61

I have an XD40 Service. Love it. I don't carry it much as my 1911 conceals much better.

I use it for a glove box stowaway, or yard work. One of my favorite aspects is maintenance!! Simple take down and a breeze to clean! I have been tempted just to toss it in the dishwasher, however, h'm not so sure how the wife would deal with

Guest crytes

question on the XD45 compact does the shors grip hurt the feel much and whith the same length barrel does it reall conceal much better than the service model. I've been impressed by the glock 36 for size but the capacity just doesn't seem enough.

Crytes

• Administrator
question on the XD45 compact does the shors grip hurt the feel much and whith the same length barrel does it reall conceal much better than the service model. I've been impressed by the glock 36 for size but the capacity just doesn't seem enough.

Crytes

I actually preferred my XD45C without the extended mag grip. With the extension in place, I sometimes tended to pinch the palm of my hand between the grip and the extension. And yes, it definitely conceals better than the service model when you're going with just the non-extension mags.

Crytes

For me personally the length was never the hard part to conceal, always the height. My XD45c is less susceptible to printing that my XD9 service.

• 1 month later...
I have a couple, as well... Planning to trade/sell one off and buy 2 more this year. I want an XD-45 Compact and a Tactical in .45acp.

Question. Does the grip extension sleeve on the 13rd mags for the XD-45 Compact slide off, to allow its use in a full-size gripped XD-45?

Well, I've been down to 1 XD in the stable for a while now (XD-357 Service)... never did buy an XD-45acp.

I've got the itch again though.