No wonder WalMart is getting out of the gun biz.

Guest ScottD

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ScottD
this may clear it up better for you. Not being argumenative, just informative. Again from the PDF, the ID has to contain a photo... so hunting and fishing licenses wouldnt apply. :up:

TBI PDF:

Obtain identification from the potential recipient which meets all requirements of

state and federal law, including:

One piece of current, valid identification bearing a photograph (even for those over the age of 60) and the date of birth of the purchaser that:

(A) Is issued under the authority of the United States Government, a state, a political subdivision of a state, a foreign government, a political subdivision of a foreign government, an international governmental organization or an international quasi-governmental organization; and

(B)Is intended to be used for identification of an individual or is commonly accepted for the purpose of identification of an individual.

If the identification presented by the purchaser does not include the current address of the purchaser, the purchaser shall present a second piece of current identification, which contains the current address of the purchaser. (See Appendix E)

Ya that was the same section I was looking @. I don't intend to delve into anything past "What are accepted alternate ID's for the gun background check?"

Guest Gun Geek
Still don't get it...that makes no sense - why don't they just QUIT, then?

I've been hearing "rumors" for years now.

They don't HAVE to sell them, ya know.

- OS

They may have contracts that the have to fulfill with these companies because of the dirt cheap prices they get them at. Maybe they have to sell for so many years, maybe the have to sell so many to get them at that price. Who knows, but if there are legal obligations, they cant just stop. Not saying there is but maybe.

Walmart will drop a few more notches in my book when that happens not that I go there all that often... Because of the screaming, throwing, people (not just children, adults act the same way very often) I try to avoid Wal-Mart at all costs, but if forced there are always perscriptions to help out....j/k

Guest smittyb

Well..... I used to work at WalMart, in sporting goods, and I sold a lot of guns. I guess I am a moron too, because I worked there? As you said, after the sale was approved, a manager came out and looked at the form. This is why the sales person had to follow the rules exactly. Even if he really wanted to sell you a gun, he knows the manager is gonna come out and read over your info, and see if the addys match up.

While I was there, it was not req'd that you fill in your SSN. From all the transactions I wittenessed, I would say they most certainly go through quicker when you give it. A lot of the time, if a person did not want to write it down, I would just have them say it to me when I punched it in, viola, quick return, and I didn't have to write it down.

AND as I understand it you have to show a GOV'T issued PHOTO ID, but if your address dosen't match your current address, then you can show other items to prove your address. Theese items include utility bills, hunting licenses, bank statements, and others. Theese MUST BE SHOWN IN ADDITION TO the photo ID.

I guess since you are so upset, you should never buy another firearm or ammunition from WalMart again. That'll sure teach em.

Guest waffenldr

What do you expect. It's Wal Mart!! Go to your local gun shops. I haven't been in a Wal Mart in 3 yrs and DAMN proud of it. Had about 200 to 300 dollars worth of crap ready to check out. It was the cashier break time. So the manger closed the line with me standing there. I got my mad and flipped the buggy upside down. LOL Haven't stepped foot in one since. (No i'm not banned as far as I know either lol.) Anyway give your money to your local shops they need the business more.

Guest ScottD
Well..... I used to work at WalMart, in sporting goods, and I sold a lot of guns. I guess I am a moron too, because I worked there? As you said, after the sale was approved, a manager came out and looked at the form. This is why the sales person had to follow the rules exactly. Even if he really wanted to sell you a gun, he knows the manager is gonna come out and read over your info, and see if the addys match up.

While I was there, it was not req'd that you fill in your SSN. From all the transactions I wittenessed, I would say they most certainly go through quicker when you give it. A lot of the time, if a person did not want to write it down, I would just have them say it to me when I punched it in, viola, quick return, and I didn't have to write it down.

AND as I understand it you have to show a GOV'T issued PHOTO ID, but if your address dosen't match your current address, then you can show other items to prove your address. Theese items include utility bills, hunting licenses, bank statements, and others. Theese MUST BE SHOWN IN ADDITION TO the photo ID.

I guess since you are so upset, you should never buy another firearm or ammunition from WalMart again. That'll sure teach em.

Welcome to the thread a day late. The panty unwadding machine is over there in the corner. If you had read the thread, you would see some resolution to the issue. David, if you would like, go ahead and break out the masterlock.

My son did some research on wally wag SSAN requierment. What he found was that wally stores send your name and SS # to a master data file started by anti gunner George ( billionaire ) Soros and a bunch of his gun hating friends. Personally, I would never buy a long gun from ww.

Following happened to me:

Straight arrow, retired Master Gunnery Sergeant USMC, retired High Shool teacher State of Tennessee, never been in trouble with police in 66 years.

After moving into new town 12 years ago, I tried to buy a .410 shotgun and store sent out check (without SSAN, I was nasty about it!) DOS came back with a denial, stating I was convicted felon and on parole! I drill as State Guard member at Foster Avenue in a building directly behind Dept of Safety so I went down personally to find out WTH happened. I have a man living in town (a little town of 5,000!) that has exactly the same name as mine. He is a convicted felon and was out on parole (second time!). Address was different so I asked why that didn't sort it out. Since people change addresses often, and DOS does literally thousands of these things daily, the operator usually stops at name and doesn't always check address.

I figured that everything was solved and went back to store to buy .410. Denied again! Exasperated I added SSAN and resent check. APPROVED! If the computer recieves SSAN it evidently uses that as primary search code. Other guy had different SSAN, so bingo I got it!

Not everybody is going to have the same type of situation, but I have learned I have to use some other search word than my name on any kind of background check.

Apparantly the other guy does not have a listed telephone as I have since received nasty calls from Parole Officers and a visit from bail bond enforcers (luckily they realized something was wrong when they say my USMC Retired sticker on the back door, or I would have had a broken door.) I also get calls from strange ladies in the night asking me to come the bar and take them home!) Wife does not appreciate this "benefit"!

Names, especially if not matched to the right addresses can be a nightmare!

Second Amendment doesn't say any store has to sell you a gun, it just says that the Congress of the US can't pass any laws keeping you from having a gun. Anybody can refuse to sell you the gun, even if it is just because they don't like your momma!

Edited by wjh2657
My son did some research on wally wag SSAN requierment. What he found was that wally stores send your name and SS # to a master data file started by anti gunner George ( billionaire ) Soros and a bunch of his gun hating friends. Personally, I would never buy a long gun from ww.

Oh, well then I guess that's it, all right.

Oh "Tin Foil Wearing Thin" Shoot

Guest Mugster

I've never had anything but first rate service from any walmart sporting goods department I've ever been in.

If you don't like walmart, just don't go in the store. I mean, thats pretty bone simple. Shrug.

Guest SUNTZU

Do you know why Walmart products are made in China? It's just a staging warehouse for the invasion force!

Get prepared.

aluminum-cubicle.jpg

Our local WalMart actually has several knowledgeable and helpful employees manning the Sporting Goods counter. They also just finished a new display area for the guns, which makes me think they're in no hurry to stop selling guns.

You made a wise move ordering the driver license with your new address. I know the laws regarding them, and so do you. You'd be surprised, however, how many police don't!:doh:A peeing match with a police officer regarding your current address would make your WalMart visit seem like a day at the beach.

They also just finished a new display area for the guns, which makes me think they're in no hurry to stop selling guns.

I don't think there ARE any plans to stop selling guns...few years ago there was a lawsuit or two, not sure how much that played into matters, but around that time WM pared down the stores that do sell guns. I think it has as much to do with demographics of which ones sell enough guns to make the FFL hassle worthwhile as anything else.

I've heard a variety of "reasons" from employees why the west knox stores don't sell guns, enough to make it obvious that they aren't privy to corporate decision making. :)

Certainly, WalMart system decisions are made overwhelmingly on basis of spreadsheet profit data, pure and simple. I'm sure their store by store stats are finely parsed.

- OS

• 1 month later...
Guest Glocked-N-Loaded

Sounds like WM is indeed going to start tracking gun sales and even video recording all purchases.

Mayors and Wal-Mart Back Gun Sales Plan

"The agreement between Wal-Mart and the group, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, which Mr. Bloomberg helped to organize in 2006, calls for turning a more watchful eye on firearm sales, including videotaping sales of guns and conducting criminal background checks on store clerks who handle guns."

Wal-Mart starts strictly tracking gun sales - BloggingStocks

"Wal-Mart will soon be video recording gun sales in its stores and then archiving the footage as part of being included in the "Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership." In addition, the world's largest retailer will create a computer system to notify the company of a gun purchased in one of its stores is indeed used in a crime."

"The National Rifle Association said that these moves wouldn't do a thing to reduce crime, calling out Bloomberg from his "bully pulpit"."

I guess that new bill will be quite convenient, considering all the crackheads and gangbangers buy their guns at wal mart.

Yes, it is out of control. They are out there making trouble every day with Marlin 30-30's and Ruger 10/22s, and I want it to STOP.

Sounds like WM is indeed going to start tracking gun sales and even video recording all purchases...

Since all links are to stories 14+ months ago, I don't give them much credence. Unless there's a definition of "soon" I don't know.

- OS