No wonder WalMart is getting out of the gun biz.

Guest ScottD

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MCRAIG

There is too much legal obligations involved with this, plus when someone gets shot with a gun they purchased at wal-mart, they turn around and try to sue wal-mart. They take the guns from the store and send them back to manufacturer or clearance them out over a period of time. The reason gun buying is so complicated is employee turnover, in the last 4 months at out local wal-mart there has been 11 different employees come and go through sporting goods.

Guest ScottD
Do you really think billy bob moron is smart enough to steal your identity? I work at wal-mart and they make it difficult to buy guns for one reason, they don't wanna sell them. In the next few years all Wal-Marts will be gun free. As far as moron free....not as long as their are moronic shoppers coming in with their screaming dirty diaper kids throwing crap all around the place. Thank god I work in the pharmacy and not where I have to deal with the public.

Do you really think you are going to get shot @ when you go eat @ a restaurant? In these days you can't be too safe. Same thing with my SSN. I don't expect my identity to be stolen in the same fashion I don't expect to get shot at. I still carry a gun. And besides if not the guy behind the counter, it could easily be one of the countless other people standing around as he reads it off to TBI over the phone.

But I agree that WalMart is trying to get out of the gun business. As it was said though, why don't they just do it instead of beating around the bush.

Edited by ScottD
There is too much legal obligations involved with this, plus when someone gets shot with a gun they purchased at wal-mart, they turn around and try to sue wal-mart. They take the guns from the store and send them back to manufacturer or clearance them out over a period of time. The reason gun buying is so complicated is employee turnover, in the last 4 months at out local wal-mart there has been 11 different employees come and go through sporting goods.

Still don't get it...that makes no sense - why don't they just QUIT, then?

I've been hearing "rumors" for years now.

They don't HAVE to sell them, ya know.

- OS

Guest ScottD

When they go to clearancing them out, gimme a shout.

Guest MCRAIG

I'll keep everyone posted if they do, btw, the Wal-Mart in Lenoir City recieved three cases of 9 millimeter blazer brass yesterday. They are limiting sale to 6 boxes per customer with a price of $8.97 a box, good luck.

Guest MCRAIG

You can never find a parking spot that is conveniently located and buggy proof. I have been through 3 paint jobs now on my car to repair dents caused by run away carts. I am just glad its not a Home Depot cart, those things could dent a tank.

Guest TargetShooter84

I know a person that works in the LC Walmart in the sporting goods...tells me the same thing about high turnover rates.....

You can never find a parking spot that is conveniently located and buggy proof. I have been through 3 paint jobs now on my car to repair dents caused by run away carts. I am just glad its not a Home Depot cart, those things could dent a tank.

Ah, gotcha. I gave up on 'good' parking spots, I've always driven long bed extended cab pickup trucks or larger, and you're not usually going to get one of those into or out of a space without a second open space next to it. I started parking at the far end of the lot as soon as I began driving, still have to. Seem to avoid most of the shopping carts that way, though.

Guest MCRAIG

Long bed extended truck......that thing would be a magnet. You are a very luck man. If you guys ever buy a gun at wal-mart lenoir city, go during the day before 5 pm thats when the most knowledgeable employees are there with the exception of one late night female employee buy her name escapes my memory.

Guest TargetShooter84
Long bed extended truck......that thing would be a magnet. You are a very luck man. If you guys ever buy a gun at wal-mart lenoir city, go during the day before 5 pm thats when the most knowledgeable employees are there with the exception of one late night female employee buy her name escapes my memory.

I know who you are talking about, the late night female employee, she's very knowledgeable and is very very very nice! One of my fave persons to deal with or talk to about guns....

Guest AmericanWorkMule

there you go.

The reason gun buying is so complicated is employee turnover, in the last 4 months at out local wal-mart there has been 11 different employees come and go through sporting goods.
Guest Phantom6

SSN's not required. I had a fellow buy a Taurus #82 today that didn't provide his SSN and it returned approved instantly as soon as I hit the "submit" button on the TBI site.

On the other hand, a week or so ago I was entering a 4473 electroniclly with no SSN and I got a call from the TBI asking for the customer's SSN as there was someone else with similar name and birth date etc. I explained it to the customer, got the SSN, gave it to the TBI and got an approval within a minute or two.

:screwy:

Guest gunlovingirl

I have a TN dl with my old address on it. I had updated it online, but didn't want to pay for a new dl. I have bought two handguns from ffl dealers using my dl, which doesn't match the address on the form. I just mentioned it had been updated with the state, and there was no problem. Obviously, it all depends on how anal the clerk wants to be.

actually if someone would explain the part about a fishing/hunting license? I dont think they consider that secondary address clarification. Actually I think Walmart made a bad transfer.

I thought the ID had to be a STATE issued PICTURE ID which would include ID/HCP or TNDL with the correct address, date of birth, and everything had to be current and match.

Maybe I'm wrong, but thats what we require and have for many years.

http://www.tbi.state.tn.us/divisions/isd_tics_faqs.htm

http://www.tbi.state.tn.us/Info%20Systems%20Div/TICS/FFL%20Guidelines_pdf.pdf

Again I think Walmart made a bad transfer.

Clarification please..

Edited by GLOCKMEISTER
Guest ScottD
actually if someone would explain the part about a fishing/hunting license? I dont think they consider that secondary address clarification. Actually I think Walmart made a bad transfer.

I thought the ID had to be a STATE issued PICTURE ID which would include ID/HCP or TNDL with the correct address, date of birth, and everything had to be current and match.

Maybe I'm wrong, but thats what we require and have for many years.

TBI Instant Check System - FAQs

http://www.tbi.state.tn.us/Info%20Systems%20Div/TICS/FFL%20Guidelines_pdf.pdf

Again I think Walmart made a bad transfer.

Clarification please..

He did mention to the women that it was an alternate ID and that it was a fishing license. No further questions relating to the details of the license were asked.

From the PDF:

Is intended to be used for identification of an individual or is commonly accepted for the

purpose of identification of an individual.

(2) If the identification presented by the purchaser under paragraph (a) of this subsection does not

include the current address of the purchaser, the purchaser shall present a second piece of current

identification that contains the current address of the purchaser.

I don't know if a fishing license is commonly accepted for the purpose of id. The second part does verify that you must have a second form of ID to prove current address. Very confusing. I may call TBI to find out acceptable types of ID.

Edited by ScottD
Guest HexHead
Ok, I do see where the TBI requires a matching ID... My mistake and a bit of crow to be eaten. My bigger problem is still with the SSN issue.

That may very well be Walmart*'s policy. Their guns, their rules.

But why not just get an updated DL? You can just order it online.

Edited by HexHead
That may very well be Walmart*'s policy. Their guns, their rules.

But why not just get an updated DL? You can just order it online.

A big PLUS ONE to that. All of that.

He did mention to the women that it was an alternate ID and that it was a fishing license. No further questions relating to the details of the license were asked.

From the PDF:

Is intended to be used for identification of an individual or is commonly accepted for the

purpose of identification of an individual.

(2) If the identification presented by the purchaser under paragraph (a) of this subsection does not

include the current address of the purchaser, the purchaser shall present a second piece of current

identification that contains the current address of the purchaser.

I don't know if a fishing license is commonly accepted for the purpose of id. The second part does verify that you must have a second form of ID to prove current address. Very confusing. I may call TBI to find out acceptable types of ID.

this may clear it up better for you. Not being argumenative, just informative. Again from the PDF, the ID has to contain a photo... so hunting and fishing licenses wouldnt apply. :up:

TBI PDF:

Obtain identification from the potential recipient which meets all requirements of

state and federal law, including:

One piece of current, valid identification bearing a photograph (even for those over the age of 60) and the date of birth of the purchaser that:

(A) Is issued under the authority of the United States Government, a state, a political subdivision of a state, a foreign government, a political subdivision of a foreign government, an international governmental organization or an international quasi-governmental organization; and

(B)Is intended to be used for identification of an individual or is commonly accepted for the purpose of identification of an individual.

If the identification presented by the purchaser does not include the current address of the purchaser, the purchaser shall present a second piece of current identification, which contains the current address of the purchaser. (See Appendix E)