Need some help - rank these budget 9MM options

RinTN

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest smittyb

My bit of advice....

Don't base your purchases on what people on the intawebz tell you YOU should buy.

I have a CZ 75B and love it. Not because Jeff Cooper did, not cause someone told me I should, just b/c I do. It has the best ergonomics of any pistol I have ever held, and shoots better than any other semi auto I have ever shot. I also own a SW9VE, and guess what, I like it too! For the price, it is a very good gun. I had a SW 99, and didn't like it. I have shot a 24/7, and have wanted one ever since.

My friends all bought XD's whent they started getting big. They all told me howw great they were and had me convinced I needed one. Then I shot one. I hated it! Is it a good gun? Probably, but I didn't like it.

IN conclusion, my advice would be to shoot as many of theese guns as you can before you buy. Go to ranges that rent out guns, and talk to fellow TGO members you can meet up with and fire a few rounds with. Then you know which gun YOU realy want.

I'm not 100% against getting something that's used. It's more a matter of finding one that I'm confident is in good condition and priced in my range.

In that case, I'd look for a used Glock 19 or Smith M&P. Either are 10X the gun as any in your original post. Also, if they are still available, a SIG P6 (aka SIG 225) may be just the ticket.

... Glock 19 or Smith M&P. Either are 10X the gun as any in your original post. ...

So, would most of the rest of you agree with this comment? If there really is that big of a difference, I probably can come up with some additional funds. The trick will be making sure the Mrs. doesn't find out. :shhh:

Yeah! I forgot about Summit!

G17 + 2 Mags for $375, add $25 for an FFL transfer and you're out for $400 even. Can't beat that.

The price sure sounds good. I'm just a little hesitant about buying a used gun that I can't actually see beforehand. Have you guys dealt with this company before?

The price sure sounds good. I'm just a little hesitant about buying a used gun that I can't actually see beforehand. Have you guys dealt with this company before?

I have friends who have, they were very happy with their guns, that is an awesome deal on a Glock 17 for what you are wanting to spend you can not go wrong with it

I may be a bit leary of the earlier M&Ps, but a used Glock is just about as good as a new one. I wouldn't be afraid of a used one from Summit.

Guest 3pugguy
I'm looking for a 9MM on a budget, preferably under $400 OTD. These are some of the options that I've been able to find locally. If you're familiar with some/all of these, I'd appreciate it if you could rank them - 1 as best, 5 as worst.

Taurus 24/7 Pro

Ruger P95

Stoeger Cougar

S&W 9VE

Bersa Thunder 9

Thanks! :shhh:

I have a Glock19 to carry, due the weight, but my original 9MM is a P89. Dang thing is like a tank - shoots anything, shoots dirty, reliable, easy to break down/clean.

So I would posit the later version is an equally good gun.

My two cents,

Barry

Guest grimel

IF the frame/slide are bad Glock will replace it. Everything else you can replace in about 20min at the kitchen table.

Remember, the vast majority of gun owners rarely shoot their guns and trade them off to get the latest and greatest before they are broken in much less wore out.

There are a number of good options. First and foremost you should go and handle some of these guns and see what is comfortable in your hands. Since you do not want to carry it, your options are broader.

Glock- great gun, their reliability needs no push from me. Accurate, low bore sight radius, easy to shoot. Glocks do not fit everyone. I own 3 of them and do not consider them to be extremely comfortable in my hands. Being a lefty I especially dislike the mag release.

Taurus- good gun, not so great customer service. Good reliability, accurate.

Ruger- you either like the way they feel or don't. Me, I don't. Love Riger, don't like their semi-autos.

Stoeger- well made good gun. It is not true they are the exact same gun with a different name on them as the Beretta. The Beretta has more time spent polishing and smoothing the actions and inner workings.

Sig- great gun, utterly reliable, wonderfully made, very accurate. High bore sight radius, not as easy as many others to be accurate, rquires a lot of trigger time, but once you are godo with them you can be excellent.

S&W- hit or miss. Not a big fan of their older semi-autos. That's just me.

Bersa- some may like them, great. I have had two and both were simply put junk. Nothing but problems. Maybe I was unlucky, TWICE!

A couple have already mentioned the CZ 75 and I will add the Tangfolio Witness. These guns have never had the marketing of some other makes. They are not B guns, they take a back seat to none of the others, and are as well made as anything out there period, they have stood the test of time. For many years they were the preferred guns in high volume pistol shooting competitions. I had one of each of these guns with thousands and thousands of rounds run through them with not a blip of problem with either. They have great ergonomics, are nearly indestructible, have a great action platform, highly customizable and extremely accurate. They are heavy, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend for carry, but I would recommend highly to you. And you could easily find one in your price range.

Depending on your budget I would also look at the CZ P07 Duty, it has quickly risen to one of my favorite pistols. About the same size as a g19, 16+1 capacity and relatively inexpensive (under 500). If you are not sure, DO NOT pick one up and hold it, that is how I ended up with mine :D

Guest smittyb
There are a number of good options. First and foremost you should go and handle some of these guns and see what is comfortable in your hands. Since you do not want to carry it, your options are broader.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Guest Doc44

New gun from this list that is reliable... goes bang and cycles...P95

OR get a used G17 OR save another hundred$$ and get a new G17.

Doc44

Edited by Doc44
In that case, I'd look for a used Glock 19 or Smith M&P. Either are 10X the gun as any in your original post...
So, would most of the rest of you agree with this comment? If there really is that big of a difference, I probably can come up with some additional funds. The trick will be making sure the Mrs. doesn't find out. :wave:

YES. (when's the last time you heard anybody regret owning a glock at a fair price? if they fit you get a glock, if they don't, m&p. you won't regret it.)

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm going to go see if I can put my hands on a few of the recommended options and find out how they actually feel in my hands. I do wish there was a range that did rental closer, as that sounds like a good way to learn about the various options. The closest one that I know of is 100+ miles away, though I may still break down and make the trip before all is said and done.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm going to go see if I can put my hands on a few of the recommended options and find out how they actually feel in my hands. I do wish there was a range that did rental closer, as that sounds like a good way to learn about the various options.

Sounds like a plan, if it feels like crap and points like crap for you then you will know, one of the best ways to see what you like and don't. Also be mindful of where all the controls (if any) are and how they fall in your hand as well. Something will fit and feel right and that will help you make your decision. Glocks feel and point like crap in my hands with that crazy rake that they have, but that is me, and that is why I don't have one. The 1911 grip angle works for me points w/o trying that is why all my guns have that angle my :wave:. Good luck happy hunting.

Edited by TN9mm
Guest 3pugguy

I'm in Clarksville and have the aforementioned Ruger P89 and a Glock19 you can try - not sure what your location is (bring bewlettes, LOL).

I'm in Clarksville and have the aforementioned Ruger P89 and a Glock19 you can try - not sure what your location is (bring bewlettes, LOL).

If you were to head due east, I'd be in the county before last on the right - just before you crossed in to NC. :D