Governor Phil Bredesen Vetoes HB0962 (Restaurant Carry Bill)

Guest ColdEspresso

Guest db99wj
In the video of today's press conference, District Attorney General Tommy Thompson made some remarks, of which the following was part of what he said:

I wonder how many of those "law officers or anything else" standing behind him were carrying weapons as he spoke? I suppose this was one of Bredesen's advisors on gun policy. What he was talking about had nothing to do with the subject at hand but his true position on Handgun Carry in general slipped out on this one.

Wow, what an idiot.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say we email/call Bredesen's office everyday from now on voicing our displeasure with his veto... like a nagging insect in his ear. Polite but to the point. Make him dread another such veto.

False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.

-- Cesare Beccaria, as quoted by Thomas Jefferson's Commonplace book

I hate that lying,backstabing S.O.B.........Whay am I not surprised??? :D

Don't take this the wrong way, but did Bredesen run on a pro gun ticket then change his stance or were you referring to another lie? I wasn't living in TN when he was elected to office.

Don't take this the wrong way, but did Bredesen run on a pro gun ticket then change his stance or were you referring to another lie? I wasn't living in TN when he was elected to office.

That is what I understand. NRAILA sent me this:

Statement From Chris W. Cox, Executive Director NRA - Institute for Legislative Action On Governor Bredesen's Veto Of House Bill 962

Along with more than 200,000 law-abiding Right-to-Carry permit holders in Tennessee, I am disappointed Governor Phil Bredesen vetoed House Bill 962. This bill would extend self-defense rights of permit holders to restaurants. This is a shock and a major disappointment to gun owners and supporters of the Second Amendment because Governor Bredesen had committed to supporting this legislation.

36 other states, including seven states that border Tennessee, provide this protection to law-abiding citizens. During the 2006 campaign, Governor Bredesen assured Tennesseans -- and the NRA in writing -- that he would support this effort. NRA's endorsement of Governor Bredesen that year centered largely on this promise. Today, that trust has been betrayed.

In his veto message, Governor Bredesen talked about his concerns with mixing firearms and alcohol. But he conveniently failed to mention the absolute prohibition, with grim consequences, for any permit holder who has one sip of alcohol while carrying a firearm. He also ignored the provision which allows restaurants to prohibit carrying firearms in their establishments by simply posting a sign. The provisions of HB 962 are more restrictive than the laws of many of the 36 states that allow restaurant carry. And, it is important to note that despite Governor Bredesen's dire predictions, these states have not experienced problems because law-abiding gun owners are just that, law-abiding.

The reality is that crime does happen in our restaurants. We are reminded by the headlines of senseless attacks on honest people that occur in restaurants, cafés and even fast food outlets all across our country, including in Tennessee. On April 2, 2009, Benjamin Felix Goeser was gunned down at Jonny's Sports Bar on Nolensville Road in Nashville. His wife, Nicole Goeser has a Right-to-Carry permit. But, she had to keep her gun locked in the car because of Tennessee law. No one knows what the outcome might have been that evening if Nicole had had her firearm with her. All Nicole wanted was a chance -- a chance to save her husband's life.

House Bill 962 will not bring back Benjamin Goeser or ease Nicole's sorrow. But, it would give other good, law-abiding Tennesseans that chance to defend themselves and their loved ones. The Tennessee Legislature understood that. That is why this common sense measure passed both chambers with overwhelming, bi-partisan support. We pledge to work to override this ill-conceived veto. That is NRA's promise. And we intend to keep it.

Guest HexHead

Not only does the NRA have to revisit their support of Bredesen, but of Alexander as well for his vote against National Park Carry.

Edited by HexHead
Duplicate

Statement From Chris W. Cox, Executive Director NRA - Institute for Legislative Action On Governor Bredesen's Veto Of House Bill 962

Along with more than 200,000 law-abiding Right-to-Carry permit holders in Tennessee, I am disappointed Governor Phil Bredesen vetoed House Bill 962. This bill would extend self-defense rights of permit holders to restaurants. This is a shock and a major disappointment to gun owners and supporters of the Second Amendment because Governor Bredesen had committed to supporting this legislation.

36 other states, including seven states that border Tennessee, provide this protection to law-abiding citizens. During the 2006 campaign, Governor Bredesen assured Tennesseans -- and the NRA in writing -- that he would support this effort. NRA's endorsement of Governor Bredesen that year centered largely on this promise. Today, that trust has been betrayed.

In his veto message, Governor Bredesen talked about his concerns with mixing firearms and alcohol. But he conveniently failed to mention the absolute prohibition, with grim consequences, for any permit holder who has one sip of alcohol while carrying a firearm. He also ignored the provision which allows restaurants to prohibit carrying firearms in their establishments by simply posting a sign. The provisions of HB 962 are more restrictive than the laws of many of the 36 states that allow restaurant carry. And, it is important to note that despite Governor Bredesen's dire predictions, these states have not experienced problems because law-abiding gun owners are just that, law-abiding.

The reality is that crime does happen in our restaurants. We are reminded by the headlines of senseless attacks on honest people that occur in restaurants, cafés and even fast food outlets all across our country, including in Tennessee. On April 2, 2009, Benjamin Felix Goeser was gunned down at Jonny's Sports Bar on Nolensville Road in Nashville. His wife, Nicole Goeser has a Right-to-Carry permit. But, she had to keep her gun locked in the car because of Tennessee law. No one knows what the outcome might have been that evening if Nicole had had her firearm with her. All Nicole wanted was a chance -- a chance to save her husband's life.

House Bill 962 will not bring back Benjamin Goeser or ease Nicole's sorrow. But, it would give other good, law-abiding Tennesseans that chance to defend themselves and their loved ones. The Tennessee Legislature understood that. That is why this common sense measure passed both chambers with overwhelming, bi-partisan support. We pledge to work to override this ill-conceived veto. That is NRA's promise. And we intend to keep it.

I think I'll C&P that in an email to Sherry Jones and Doug Henry.

The reality is that crime does happen in our restaurants. ... That is why this common sense measure passed both chambers with overwhelming, bi-partisan support. We pledge to work to override this ill-conceived veto. That is NRA's promise. And we intend to keep it.

Phil Bredesen is an elitist first; that means he knows better that you, the legislature, or anyone else what is good for the people of Tennessee. Folks need to remember that Phil Bredesen is a DEMOCRAT. Thats says (to me) that he has no problem thwarting the will of the people of the state; because he, more than anyone, knows best. I believe that Bredesen's veto will be overridden. The people of Tennessee need to take due note of these actions when the next gubanatorial election comes up.

LEROY

I just got this from Sen. Jackson:

The house must act first. That will likely happen next week.

Procedurally, the senate will not be able to vote next week. The senate override will occur the following week.

I feel very confident about the senate vote. The house sponsor feels confident about the house vote.

Guest HexHead
I just got this from Sen. Jackson:

Delay, delay, delay. What procedure? If the House actually gets off their collective asses and gets this done on Monday, why can't the Senate at least take it up on Thursday?

Guest HexHead
I think I'll C&P that in an email to Sherry Jones and Doug Henry.

If you want Henry to see it, you'd better send it to one of the Honky Tonks downtown where's he's forgetting about the troubles of the day.

Don't waste your bandwidth on that doddering old fool. He's voted against it all down the line. He's sure not going to vote to override the veto.

Delay, delay, delay. What procedure? If the House actually gets off their collective asses and gets this done on Monday, why can't the Senate at least take it up on Thursday?

Dude, calm down!

These people are working on TONS of legislation - just because this is important to us doesn't mean we get bumped to the front of the line.

This has all moved at a normal pace for legislation and will continue to do so.

Just sent an email to Sen McNally and Rep Hackworth. They both supported the bill last time and I encouraged tehm both to continue their support. I was especially pleased with Jim Hackworth last time, who actually returned my call, left voicemail, and followed up a week later by calling me back again. Shows me he cares about the people. :D

• Administrator

So... do any of you want to get together with some of our elected politicians and thank them for their support and let them know that you'll be holding them accountable for their words and actions this next election cycle? ;)

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/events-gatherings/21800-feedback-needed-inaugural-tennessee-gun-owners-statewide-conference.html

:D

Guest HexHead
Dude, calm down!

These people are working on TONS of legislation - just because this is important to us doesn't mean we get bumped to the front of the line.

This has all moved at a normal pace for legislation and will continue to do so.

That's exactly my point. This should have been wrapped up a month or so ago, but with all the concurring and non-concurring bull****, now we're in "overtime".

You're right, they still have bigger fish to fry, like the budget, before they can adjourn for the year. If we don't keep the pressure up, this is going to end up on the back burner once they start in on the budget and it'll get lost in the shuffle to next year.

Time is not on our side with this bill in any way, shape or form. The longer it languishes, the less likely it will survive the override. Every time it's gone back to the chambers to be voted on again, the vote has never been as lopsided as it was the first go around. I don't want to see it lose whatever momentum it has.

Guest Bronker
So... do any of you want to get together with some of our elected politicians and thank them for their support and let them know that you'll be holding them accountable for their words and actions this next election cycle? ;)

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/events-gatherings/21800-feedback-needed-inaugural-tennessee-gun-owners-statewide-conference.html

:D

Now more than ever. They think they're untouchable. Let's get our 'hands' on them while we can.

Guest Runnfree

From the Clarksville's The Leaf Chronicle.

Restaurant owners cheered Bredesen's veto. Boscos co-owner Andy Feinstone put signs up this month banning handguns in his three Tennessee restaurants, including in Hillsboro Village, in anticipation of the bill becoming state law.

"I think it's great that the governor vetoed it, and hopefully it doesn't get overridden," Feinstone said

So I know where I will not go eat.

Guest Doc44

Bredesen is looking out for his own butt. Trying to kiss up to the gun grabbing democrats to get himself something in Washington. He and his school patrol boy chief do not speak for or represent the wishes of the people.

Doc44

Guest Ravendove

"Hunting, recreational shooting, and other sports oriented activities being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Wait, that doesn't look right.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm tired of politicians trying to convince me they understand me and share my interests because they're "sportsmen" as Bredesen just did. The second amendment isn't about sports. I'm not planning to go to a restaurant that serves alcohol so I can compete in a shooting competition.

Don't waste your bandwidth on that doddering old fool. He's voted against it all down the line. He's sure not going to vote to override the veto.

We both know he's useless, as I'm sure many others do also, but if I don't send my Senator my thoughts on the issue then I'm not doing all that I can do. I don't know how many more of us here on TGO live in his district but we should all send one or two emails a day to him anyway.

I would like to see everyone on TGO send him as well as the others that voted against the bill multiple emails until this gets done. It's more useful than spending all of our time on TGO just *itchin.

sen.douglas.henry@legislature.state.tn.us

While you're at it send emails to Sherry Jones also.

rep.sherry.jones@legislature.state.tn.us

Hit this poll up, were loosing. It's tworad the bottom, on the right.

Main|myEyewitnessNews.com, Memphis News, Entertainment, Videos, Business Search and Shopping

It bugs me how they have to spin it by saying "Should we be allowed to 'Pack Heat' in bars". Makes us gound like gangsters. Thay can just say "carry a firearm into places that server alcohol".

Can you say "Truth in reporting"?

So... do any of you want to get together with some of our elected politicians and thank them for their support and let them know that you'll be holding them accountable for their words and actions this next election cycle? :)

:wave:

It's too bad this is not this weekend. We need one today before the House takes up the over-ride.

Guest HexHead
We both know he's useless, as I'm sure many others do also, but if I don't send my Senator my thoughts on the issue then I'm not doing all that I can do. I don't know how many more of us here on TGO live in his district but we should all send one or two emails a day to him anyway.

I would like to see everyone on TGO send him as well as the others that voted against the bill multiple emails until this gets done. It's more useful than spending all of our time on TGO just *itchin.

sen.douglas.henry@legislature.state.tn.us

While you're at it send emails to Sherry Jones also.

rep.sherry.jones@legislature.state.tn.us

Okay. You convinced me. :wave:

Sent.

Edited by HexHead