Police vs EMS

Guest Traumaslave

Guest Traumaslave

http://carlosmiller.com/2009/05/28/oklahom...atient-lingers/

Oklahoma cop pulls ambulance over; puts EMT in chokehold while patient lingers

An Oklahoma State Trooper pulled over an ambulance on its way to the hospital Sunday, resulting in the police officer placing a chokehold on a paramedic as a patient lingered in the back.

It was all caught on video by the patient’s son, who was following in another car.

The officer was apparently upset that the ambulance did not yield for him.

However, it is evident that the ambulance had a real emergency on its hands, unlike the cop, who had been speeding towards some incident he was able to resolve in minutes, enabling him to refocus his attention on the ambulance.

The incident marks the second time this year that a police officer pulled a vehicle over as it was clearly on its way to a hospital for an emergency.

Paramedics say they were rushing a woman to the hospital who had suffered heat exhaustion when they noticed the trooper traveling at a high rate of speed behind them. They say the trooper had its emergency lights on but had its sirens off.

The driver of the ambulance did not notice the trooper until it got right behind him. He pulled over allowing it to pass.

Through his microphone, the officer allegedly said, “You should consider checking your rearview mirrors.â€

The driver of the ambulance said he responded by lifting his hands in bewilderment.

Three blocks later, the trooper was seen pulling out of a side street - apparently having addressed his emergency or having picked up a female passenger - and pulled the ambulance over.

At first, paramedics thought the woman in the passenger side was having an emergency.

According to the paramedic’s transport incident report:

The officer got out of his vehicle in a state of rage. He approached my partner and yelled, “Get your ass back here. I am giving you a ticket for failure to yield.â€

He also added, “What do you mean flipping me off?â€

The trooper wanted to cite the driver of the ambulance but the other paramedic insisted on driving the patient to the hospital first, then allowing the driver to be cited.

The trooper then told the second paramedic that he was under arrest for obstruction and attempted to grab the paramedic’s arm.

But the paramedic reminded him that it was a felony to assault a paramedic in the line of duty, especially when he needs to transport a patient to the hospital.

They struggled briefly before the paramedic was able to hop in the back of the ambulance to tend to the patient.

By that time, another trooper had pulled up and started banging on the side of the ambulance, telling the paramedic that he was under arrest for assault.

The paramedic stepped out of the vehicle and another struggle ensued - this one caught on tape - which resulted in a cop grabbing the paramedic in a vise-like-grip around his neck.

The officers finally allowed the paramedics to transport the patient to the hospital where they planned to arrest the paramedic.

But then they finally got smart and contacted the district attorney, who insisted on reviewing the evidence before filing charges.

Police say they have their own version of the truth that was recorded by their dashboard cam. Of course they are refusing to release it.

At one point in the hospital, the trooper told the paramedic that he was so enraged about the perceived “flipping off†gesture that he considered pulling his gun out and using deadly force, according to the paramedic’s transport report.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest grimel

The incident marks the second time this year that a police officer pulled a vehicle over as it was clearly on its way to a hospital for an emergency.

Police say they have their own version of the truth that was recorded by their dashboard cam. Of course they are refusing to release it.

I'd like to see the EMT, the patient, and the patient's child sue these idiots PERSONALLY and the LEA into oblivion.

I'd REALLY like to see "But the paramedic reminded him that it was a felony to assault a paramedic in the line of duty, especially when he needs to transport a patient to the hospital." this be enforced and have both of these "officers" become convicted felons.

From my experience in law enforcement there are three types of police officers.

1. The good guys. The people that love the job, love making a difference, and love catching the bad guy.

2. The guys that are there because it's a job, and it's better than construction. They just do their job and go home. They don't care either way.

3. Then there is the type of officer like this douche bag. Do as I say not as I do. I am the law, I don't have to follow the law. They are tough guys when they are picking on crack heads, prostitutes, or civilians but as soon as the bullets start flying they are no where to be seen.

Luckily the DBs are few and far between.

• Administrator
If this went down the way it seems it has... I would hate to be the one that had to defend the officer's actions. It would be hard to do so and not look like a complete idiot.

"Your Honor... um... uh... my client is a guilty douchebag and I quit." :wave:

1. The good guys. The people that love the job, love making a difference, and love catching the bad guy.

2. The guys that are there because it's a job, and it's better than construction. They just do their job and go home. They don't care either way.

3. Then there is the type of officer like this douche bag. Do as I say not as I do. I am the law, I don't have to follow the law. They are tough guys when they are picking on crack heads, prostitutes, or civilians but as soon as the bullets start flying they are no where to be seen.

+1 hit the nail on the head.

I am taking the PAT test in like....2 hrs to get into the academy. I want to eventually be a School Resource Officer and help be a + influence on some kids. I for one will be #1 on that list through and through.....as for #3 they are what they are and need to be replaced by more #1's.

"Your Honor... um... uh... my client is a guilty douchebag and I quit." :rofl:

I think that is known commonly as the "Douchebag" defense. LOL!

"Your Honor... at the time of this altercation, the officer was under a form of distress caused by "Temporary Duchebaggery". I would also like to remind the court that the State of Oklahoma has yet to address "Douchebaggery" properly with all it's employees with proper classes and training. As a prime example I offer the DMV and it's fine employees. You see your Honor... it's my client that is the victim here." :usa:

"Your Honor... at the time of this altercation, the officer was under a form of distress caused by "Temporary Duchebaggery". I would also like to remind the court that the State of Oklahoma has yet to address "Douchebaggery" properly with all it's employees with proper classes and training. As a prime example I offer the DMV and it's fine employees. You see your Honor... it's my client that is the victim here." :usa:

Now that's funny right there I don't care who you are. :rofl:

I think that is known commonly as the "Douchebag" defense. LOL!

"Your Honor... at the time of this altercation, the officer was under a form of distress caused by "Temporary Duchebaggery".

I would venture to say that the guy in question much more likely suffers from the TERMINAL form of douche baggery rather that the temporary form :rofl:

Guest justme

cops like that need to ALL be terminated, have their credentials permanently revoked and put in the general population of the jail...let them see what it is like for a change--fascists...

or Maybe the cop had a case of LDS and needed to compensate....?

Guest justme

there are still decent people in LE--but they are becoming fewer and fewer in number

these are the ones who tend become number 3 below..

these are generally by far in the majority I would think.

I would say that statement is up for debate--because I would submit that the DBs are quickly becoming the majority...

Guest jos2f

lol@ the little trooper not being able to fit his hands around the paramedics neck. There's no way that trooper could have handled the paramedic by himself

With such heart-warming stories like this, I can't fathom how anyone could be suspect of the integrity of any LEO until proven otherwise.

It may be a shame that many people feel that way, but with the potential for so much being at stake during an encounter with an LEO, how can anyone blame them.

Guest justme
With such heart-warming stories like this, I can't fathom how anyone could be suspect of the integrity of any LEO until proven otherwise.

I make it simple--as a general rule, I never trust any LEO.

It may be a shame that many people feel that way, but with the potential for so much being at stake during an encounter with an LEO, how can anyone blame them.

I don't--they can't be trusted, and that is a shame--a shame, but the truth nonetheless.

• Administrator

Just keep in mind that bad news travels fast and gets the most press. If the news ran a story about the police every time an officer stopped to help a stranded motorist, or helped a lost child get back to her parents, or calmed the fears of the single mom who thought she heard someone jostling the doorknob late at night... there wouldn't be time left in a broadcast to tell about the bad things going on.

I guess I'm fortunate that the officers I know personally are good guys doing the job for the right reasons. It tends to make me be a lot more open minded whenever I see a random officer somewhere else.

Back the case in this particular incident, I would agree that based on what we saw in the video and were told about the circumstances, the Trooper(s) in question need to re-evaluated for their jobs.

• Administrator
I make it simple--as a general rule, I never trust any LEO.

I don't--they can't be trusted, and that is a shame--a shame, but the truth nonetheless.

You know, what they say: People who go out looking for a problem generally find one. I don't know what the police have ever done to you specifically, but your attitude about them really sucks ass.

:rofl:

Guest justme

Trooper, Paramedic Fight Caught on Tape - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

page 2 gets interesting--especially posts 37 and 40...

if you take the time to read through--several of the posters are pro EMS--but there are a few who have some serious issues.

if you ever want to see how they think on things--read through the forums a little--it can be mind blowing at times. I have to admit--the majority of them though are siding with the EMS workers over the troopers.

most seem to be under the impression that LE in that area in Oklahoma should not be counting on too much support from EMS as a result of this little foray...

You know, what they say: People who go out looking for a problem generally find one. I don't know what the police have ever done to you specifically, but your attitude about them really sucks ass.

+10

I'll be the first one to say this LEO deserves to be fired, sued, and maybe even charged with a crime. However, the attitude of some of you people here astounds me. If you think you can do so much of a better job go put on a uniform and go for it.

I'm personally sick of the LEO bashing that goes on here and it's the same couple people that always do it no matter what the case may be. I know WAY more good cops than bad ones and there ARE more good cops than bad ones. It just takes common sense to understand that, but I guess it's just easier to point out other's issues than deal with your own.

Guest justme

what--because I don't trust them?

and I never go out looking for trouble--that is why I never find any.

Guest justme
+10
I'll be the first one to say this LEO deserves to be fired, sued, and maybe even charged with a crime. However, the attitude of some of you people here astounds me. If you think you can do so much of a better job go put on a uniform and go for it.

I plainly said--there are some good ones left, BUT they are surrounded by a sea of bad.

I'm personally sick of the LEO bashing that goes on here and it's the same couple people that always do it no matter what the case may be. I know WAY more good cops than bad ones and there ARE more good cops than bad ones. It just takes common sense to understand that, but I guess it's just easier to point out other's issues than deal with your own.

It is always bashing isn't it--it must be a crime now to be critical of public servants who mistreat the people and abuse their authority--so it must be bashing.

I plainly said--there are some good ones left, BUT they are surrounded by a sea of bad.

It is always bashing isn't it--it must be a crime now to be critical of public servants who mistreat the people and abuse their authority--so it must be bashing.

Don't play that innocent crap with me. You know the difference or I assume you do anyway. Being critical of someone is perfect in THIS case. This cop was wrong, period.

You always want to disparage anyone who wears a badge, but give yourself a fail safe by saying "Not all cops are bad." So you don't trust LEOs, but they aren't all bad? I don't get your logic. I'm not saying you should blindly believe in the good of all law enforcement, but you and others here just have a chip on your shoulder about authority and it shows in your angry anarchist college student type ramblings.

Post count +1

Seriously though, I too am kind of sick of the LEO hate here. I've seen and known bad ones. I've known alot more good ones. At the end of the day, if you're willing to put on a uniform that's a freaking bullseye in some neighborhoods, and try to make a difference - I will treat you with respect. Until I'm given me a reason not to, in some rare cases.

Edited by Metalhead