Police vs EMS

Guest Traumaslave

I plainly said--there are some good ones left, BUT they are surrounded by a sea of bad.

Wow. Somehow in my interactions with LEOs over the years I seem to have avoided that sea.

The worst encounter I've ever had is a speeding ticket in a fairly blatant speed trap. Was it a trap? Sure. But I was still speeding. He was completely professional about it.

On the other hand, positive encounters:

I've had a LEO pick me up on the side of the road as I was hiking down the interstate away from my dead car. He gave me a lift to the next exit and made sure I was able to reach someone from a payphone (this was pre-cell days) before he left.

The LEO's who showed up for the 911 call when my wife died were compassionate and helpful. In hindsight, after the shock wore off, I can tell they scoped the situation out with some careful questions to make sure nothing illegal had taken place. Perfectly understandable.

Two ends of the seriousness spectrum there, but they've been typical of my encounters over the years.

Oh, wait. I do remember one horrible thing. I had to change a flat in the middle of a thunderstorm on the interstate in the middle of the night. The trooper pulled up and asked me if he could be of any assistance just as I was finishing up and putting stuff back in the trunk. Damn him, he should have come along 10 minutes earlier. :rofl:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The LEO's who showed up for the 911 call when my wife died were compassionate and helpful. In hindsight, after the shock wore off, I can tell they scoped the situation out with some careful questions to make sure nothing illegal had taken place. Perfectly understandable.

Sorry for your loss man.

I find it crazy that the same folks who decry media bias on 2nd Amendment subjects buy everything they see hook, line, and sinker, when it comes to a story about an LEO being unprofessional.

I've met a few ass hat cops before, but I've also met a few ass hat bankers, lawyers, cashiers, masons, carpenters, professors, etc.

Given a large enough pool, a given percentage of ANY group of professionals will produce undesirables.

People are people, grow up.

Guest joeharris

This was really sad, these Cop's should be fired ASAP!

Unfortunately there are to many, who think since they have a badge they can make up their own laws!:rofl:

Guest joeharris

Last month a Football player was taking his dying Mom to Hosp. and a Super:poop:Cop pulled him and the family over in the Hosp. Parking lot at gun-point and kept him there for 10 min. while his Mom Passed away, the :D Cop did resign, before he got fired!

Cops and Swat teams are not invincible as they have been finding out, in the last few months, if someone is determined!

Not that I've had many, but I've been fortunate enough to have had only one bad experience with an LEO, and that was only a bogus speeding ticket. I'll be the first to admit, I was steaming over it at the time, but in the grand scheme of things it was hardly a big deal. Having a few LEO's as close family members doesn't hurt either. Well, maybe it does a little, because I sometimes get some real insight to things that most people don't, or wouldn't want to hear about.

On the other hand, I've heard many very scary stories about how someones life was turned upside down due to a bad experience with LEO's and/or our Justice System. I know that LEO's and the Justice System are not one-in-the-same, but more often than not (I think), they kinda go hand-in-hand.

Unfortunatly, like David said, these stories tend to get the most press. Weather these types of stories get more press than real heart-warming LEO stories, the not- so-pleasant stories are stories nonetheless. Not only that, but they are very real stories. Very scary stories of how someones life was unnecessarily ruined because of an [insert your favorite adjective here] LEO. It should not be a big surprise that there are so many people who are suspicious of LEO's in general. Again, it's a shame, but very much a reality.

Being a truck drive, I'm well aware of stereotypes connected to your profession. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that all truck drivers are uneducated, wife beatin, whore chasin', drug addicted alcoholics. There's actually an endless list, but you get the point. None of which are true where I'm concerned, and certainly not true of many other truck drivers I know. Unfortunately, it's just something we have to deal with, because there are so many that fit right into that stereotypical opinion of what many consider truck drivers to be.

Not to take away from the risk LEO's encounter while on the job, but I have yet to see one legitimate study showing that being an LEO is more dangerous than being a truck driver. Every study/article I've read ranks truck driving as being more dangerous. I think that deserves a No Truck Driver Bashing policy on TGO.:D

I'll tell you all a story. For the span of a few months there was this young adult male who would ALWAYS make pig noises when me and my partner drove by. He was always yelling crap out like "F the PO-lice", "Effing Pigs", "Abuse your power!" blah blah blah.

Unfortunately there is no law against stupidity, so I couldn't go over and hook him up or even really get in his face. One beautiful day, I happened to see the same guy running for his effing life, right behind him a angry man with a baseball bat.

Dude runs straight at me, literally hides behind me, and I think he even pressed his face against my back in fear for his life. Fortunately nobody was hurt, and everything was resolved. I will never forget how thankful that kid was afterward.

From then on, every time he would see me he would wave and we would talk for a bit. He was a nice kid, he just had 1 bad run in with a douch bag cop and all of a sudden every single cop is bad.

Same goes for these "sea of evil police officers" people posting. I truly hope you never end up eating crow because you are in fear for your life.

Guest jos2f
One beautiful day, I happened to see the same guy running for his effing life, right behind him a angry man with a baseball bat.

Slightly OT, but why was he being chased by a man with a bat?

IMO, everyone can have their opinion about LEO. Doesn't mean they're right or aren't slightly biased, but then again, who isn't about something or another?

You know those people that have never had their ass kicked and are absolutely oblivious to what somebody can do to them if they step on the wrong toes? This kid was one of them. He was mouthing off and goofing around to people that walked by and he just got loud with the wrong guy.

We ended up taking the guy to a mental evaluation hospitals, and two days later we got a call that he escaped and was running around the home depot parking lot but naked, only wearing shoes.

Needless to say we drove REAL slow to that call.

Slightly OT, but why was he being chased by a man with a bat?

IMO, everyone can have their opinion about LEO. Doesn't mean they're right or aren't slightly biased, but then again, who isn't about something or another?

Guest jos2f

We ended up taking the guy to a mental evaluation hospitals, and two days later we got a call that he escaped and was running around the home depot parking lot but naked, only wearing shoes.

Needless to say we drove REAL slow to that call.

The guy mouthing off or the guy with the bat escaped a mental hospital?

Either way, a naked man in a parking lot would most likely be entertaining :D

Guest joeharris
The guy mouthing off or the guy with the bat escaped a mental hospital?

Either way, a naked man in a parking lot would most likely be entertaining :doh:

About 1 1/2 yrs. ago in Chatt. same thing happ. Black Male high on drugs and naked wrestled police and died in a choke hold!

His Lawyer mom out of Atlanta sued the city and the city settled for Mega Bucks, never could figure that one out?:D

About 1 1/2 yrs. ago in Chatt. same thing happ. Black Male high on drugs and naked wrestled police and died in a choke hold!

His Lawyer mom out of Atlanta sued the city and the city settled for Mega Bucks, never could figure that one out?:D

Just goes to show, nobody wins when grown men wrestle naked.

Just goes to show, nobody wins when grown men wrestle naked.

BWahahaha!!! That is hilarious!

That... that... is one of those "Pearls of Wisdom" you can only find here on TGO! :D

No... I take that back, a true-ism that you learn from and live by. LOL!!

(Seriously I'm cracking up when I read that!)

I deal with LEO's on a daily basis in my job and I have to tell you in all my years I have only met 1 dip:poop: cop. I was driving a rental truck and scraped the awning of a restaurant, I got out and looked, didn't see any damage to the truck or the awning so I paid for my lunch and left. Well 2 days later this :poop:head comes into where I worked, telling me that he would be very happy to beat the crap out of me, drag me to jail for felony hit and run and all kinds of crap. The manager of the store called the restaurant and asked them how much was the damage to the awning, short story, the store paid 450 bucks to have the awning "fixed" (which it never was) the cop is now a loan officer for a loan sharking company, somebody else came along and took the whole awning off.:D. and the company I was working for got sued for employee rights violations.

I responded to an alarm call for a customer (he was out of town and called me to see if I could go shut it up), 10:30 at night, in a very rural part of McMinn county I pull up to the house and no one is around so I wait for the mans daughter. In a few minutes here come 2 deputy's cars, whipping up the hill like it was a bank being robbed. Got out, talked with them, helped to look around the outside of the home, all while OCing. They were cool about it.

All in all you will find that the good cops outweigh the bad by 5 to 1 I'd guess.

Now this dip :doh: needs to be horse whipped. An ambulance has priority over his coffee and donut run. I get out of cops way when they come up behind me with their blues on, but a fire truck or ambulance, I'll put it in the ditch to get out of their way.

Felony hit and run? Ha what a turd. It's only a felony if you physically harm somebody in the hit in run. If it's only property damage it's a misdemeanor. I can see why he no longer is a police officer. Boy was confuzzled from all the deep fried circle pastries he consumed earlier that day.

I don’t know what happened prior to what we just saw. But based on what we saw here I think two cops need to lose their jobs. And the cop that choked the EMT needs to be charged criminally.

How freaking arrogant can a cop be to think they can pull an ambulance on an emergency run with a patient over?

And what if the driver flipped him off? BFD is that against the law? Good grief how old is this cop?

but a fire truck or ambulance, I'll put it in the ditch to get out of their way.

:):D:up::up::no1::D:bow::wave:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are welcome. In 1990 when we had the bad accident on I75 (12 dead I think, and 100 cars & trucks), I was "required" to go to Chattanooga anyway and was on hwy 11 headed south in the massive traffic jam and I looked up in my rear view all I could see was ambulance lights. I whipped the van (extended edition full sized) into the ditch, the guy with me freaked out. He told me I was crazy, I told him if it was him or his family in the wreck would he still feel the same. Boy that shut him up.

Guest canynracer
I can truly say that I am on both sides of this issue. I am usually the first to side with the police, but this video makes me angry. OHP was way out of line.

Werd...