Alumagrips anyone?

Guest eyebedam

Guest eyebedam

I been looking at the alumagrips off & on for awhile now. I was curious if anyone on here has any? If so what are your thoughts on them. Good & bad. They look really good but was curious on how they held up against traditional wooden grips. These of course be for a 1911.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have them on both my 1911's, in compact on my carry piece and regular thickness on my government. They provide a very secure grip and look great doing it. I tried several grips before I settled on these and I wish I had tried them first. There are lots of thickness and checkering configurations so try before you buy if possible.

Their customer service is outstanding as well. I had a small problem with my last order that was promptly and cheerfully resolved. I can't recommend them highly enough.

A buddy of mine put some on his Springer GI, they were the extra slim ones. I thought they were awesome. Good feel, very slim, and just seemed to be very well made.

Did you pick up a 1911?

Here are some pics:

wol_error.gifClick this bar to view the small image.kimber5.jpg

wol_error.gifClick this bar to view the small image.kimber2.jpg

wol_error.gifClick this bar to view the small image.kimber6.jpg

kimber4.jpg

Not to hijack but Dear Lord that is a beautiful gun...

You need to post that beauty on the 1911 thread on Show and Tell. Very nice.

Guest JHatmaker

Agree, those grips look great on that 1911.

I've got some Aluminum grips on my little Rohrbaugh (not sure if they are Alumagrips) and I love them. Very sturdy and seem pretty scratch resistant.

There gonna be for my EMP. No new 1911 for me yet.

Did you decide not to go with some from Esmerelda? I think I am gonna have to order some from her when the check book finally recovers from actually buying the EMP. Got my eye on the Thor's Hammer pattern in Gaboon Ebony. But these are a good option at a little less $$, although her grips appear to be well worth the price. Let us know what you decide, and Pics for sure (could help me make my decision).

Guest eyebedam
Did you decide not to go with some from Esmerelda? I think I am gonna have to order some from her when the check book finally recovers from actually buying the EMP. Got my eye on the Thor's Hammer pattern in Gaboon Ebony. But these are a good option at a little less $$, although her grips appear to be well worth the price. Let us know what you decide, and Pics for sure (could help me make my decision).

I did for now anyway. Her grips are some of the finest out there but also some of the more pricey. For 55.00 I can et exactly what I like for my EMP. I was looking at the Deluxe Fluer DE Lis. I had a set of Larry Davidsons grips & they were really nice but Ive heard a few goos things about the Alumagrips & was thinking of giving them a shot a little later down the road.

I did for now anyway. Her grips are some of the finest out there but also some of the more pricey. For 55.00 I can et exactly what I like for my EMP. I was looking at the Deluxe Fluer DE Lis. I had a set of Larry Davidsons grips & they were really nice but Ive heard a few goos things about the Alumagrips & was thinking of giving them a shot a little later down the road.

Cool, well let me know how you like them I'm really diggin a couple of their options as well. What color you thinkin?

Guest Todd@CIS

I had a few sets on some 1911s I had...loved them.

My recommendation...I liked the "full checkered" version vs. the regular checkered version as seen in the previous pics. Less smooth surface...more "grippy." Not a huge deal, but it was noticable to me.

My favorite 1911 grips were Alumagrips, Larry Davidson's grips, and VZgrips.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest eyebedam
I used the Aluma grips as a base for these:

LizardSkinGrip.jpg

Now those are freakin cool. Ive seen snakeskin grips before but Is that lizard? Now that's not listed on your website. Very nice.

Guest eyebedam
I used the Aluma grips as a base for these:

LizardSkinGrip.jpg

Yes, that is lizard. Knowing how much you like stingray, we did these also:

CaspianStingrayGrips.jpg

That stingray is the bomb. I wonder how they would hold up with everyday use? That def looks better than any wood grips.

• Administrator

I came really close to ordering some Alumagrips for my Kimber Warrior but was a bit concerned about the fact that aluminum is a great conductor of temperature. It seems that during extended shooting sessions, the grip is going to be pretty warm.

Am I just making this seem more significant than it really is?

Guest eyebedam

David I've read that before. If I remember correctly the guy said they did get a little warm but it was after around 300-350 rds. I wish I could remember where I read that. When I normally go to the range I usually take a couple guns with me so I don't think it would be that big of a issue for me.

AlumaGrips come with a plastic thingy (I think they call it a "GripSaver" or something like that) that you sandwich between the frame and the grip. It prevents steel-AL contact, so there should be no corrosion or scratching. It is too thin to notice, is not visible under the grip, and is cut for ambi safety in case you have one.

As for heat conductivity, I have never noticed an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Bringing an old thread up, because this thread got me interested in the AlumaGrips.

I just put some Olive standard thickness AlumaGrips on my Springfield 1911. I love these grips. Haven't shot it yet, but they feel great. Very, very happy with these grips.

016.jpg

013-1.jpg

• Administrator

Nice. My OD alumagrips that I had ordered for my old Springfield came in yesterday as well. I'm probably going to shoot them with some flat tan moly resin, but I do like the way they look and feel on my Kimber. Probably moreso than the VZ Grips that I've been using on it.