S&W Model 10-5 Cracked Barrel?

Guest TurboniumOxide

Guest TurboniumOxide

This was my grandfathers carry weapon. It was given to me recently and when I was cleaning it up I noticed this scratch/crack at the end of the barrel. What do you guys/gals think? How likely is it that this is a crack and that the gun is therefore unsafe to fire? From what I understand it is an M&P from the Early 70s.

A pic is worth a kiloword:

Picasa Web Albums - Jeff

182CANON#5343268061326165794

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TurboniumOxide

I am thinking about sending it to S&W for a refinish, possibly a re-barrel. The gun has been carried a lot (Grandpa was a peace officer), but not shot a lot. The wear on the barrel is from the crappy holster which left the barrel end exposed, the rest of the pistol is in fine shape, even the grips.

Guest TurboniumOxide

I don't really want to re-barrel, who knows what history lies in the lands and grooves. The gun needs a refinish which I regret to do, but I want it to last long enough to give it to my son. I want it to look cared for. But on the other hand it was a work gun and got it's scars in the line of duty. But then again I don't want it to rust. I'd have to shoot it when no-one else was at the range.

and around and around we go....

I might get it satin nickel plated.

I don't really want to re-barrel, who knows what history lies in the lands and grooves. The gun needs a refinish which I regret to do, but I want it to last long enough to give it to my son. I want it to look cared for. But on the other hand it was a work gun and got it's scars in the line of duty. But then again I don't want it to rust. I'd have to shoot it when no-one else was at the range.

Just my opinion, if that's the worst of the finish damage, I probably wouldn't do anything to it. It got the wear honest, it's just part of the character. Keep it clean, wipe it down with a good rust preventative oil, I can't see why it wouldn't last a couple of lifetimes.

Just my opinion, if that's the worst of the finish damage, I probably wouldn't do anything to it. It got the wear honest, it's just part of the character. Keep it clean, wipe it down with a good rust preventative oil, I can't see why it wouldn't last a couple of lifetimes.

56FordGuy makes a good point. That piece appears to have a lot of character. Just make sure it's clean and oiled.

From what I understand it is an M&P from the Early 70s.

The M&P became the Model 10 in 1957.

I would not refinish or rebarrel the gun; it would seriously damage its value as a collectable. (Especially if it’s an M&P) If you want to shoot it, but are concerned about the barrel I would call S&W. They use to let you send guns in to be checked out for a reasonable price; I don’t know if the still do that or not. A phone call to S&W is free and I have always found them to be great people to deal with.

A refinish is over $200 and I would guess a rebarrel would be $250.

I’d keep Grandpa’s gun the way it is. But I’m just looking at it from a collectable/Heirloom point of view. Your son will probably be glad you didn’t mess it up.

Don’t worry about who is at the range when you shoot it; you would be surprised how many collectors there are that would really be interested in what you have.

Guest TurboniumOxide

I thought about getting it magnafluxed and contacted a local engine builder but they do not want the liability of a false negative. I have decided to send it to S&W and have them inspect it. If it's safe and just a scratch I'm going to leave it alone. If it is a crack, I will have to have it rebarreled. I can't take it if there is a gun in the house that can't be used.