My Incident at Molly's Restaraunt in Midtown Memphis Last Night

Guest nokomom

Guest nokomom

Hi, I have been lurking on here for a while now. Well, finally I have something to post! First a little background on myself. I am a 28 year old HCP holder who is married to a 30 year old HCP. We have a beautiful eight year old daughter and three goofy dogs. We live in Central Gardens in midtown Memphis, TN.

My family went to Molly's in Midtown last night. Just out of curiosity I asked the server if they were planning on banning legal handgun permit holders who were dining there from carrying if the law passed. The server was nice and said he had mixed emotions but did not know what the owner was planning to do. Well I guess he said something to the manager/owner whatever she was because some rude woman came to out table and loudly stated that she was going to post and that no handguns were going to be allowed in her bar!

It was quite a sight to watch her slam her hand on our table as she ranted about how she "would kill anyone herself who brought a gun in her bar" and we all sat bewildered. Oh, and my husband and I were there DINING at a table with our eight year old daughter who witnessed this crazy woman. Well, I was stunned to say the least and we politely asked the server for our ticket, paid, and will never return. We have dined there at least every two weeks for years. Wow.

I would testify in an open court about the incident at Molly's. That woman said "she would kill" anyone who brought a gun into her bar. There were many witnesses. This happened LAST NIGHT at 7:14pm. I have the receipt on my desk. I was in tears when we left because that woman was so rude to us in front of a full restaurant. We still do not know her name or title because she did not introduce herself before beginning her rant. She was a overweight caucasion lady with gray shoulder length hair. Maybe someone on here know her?

Please call and write letters to Molly's if you do not agree with their embarassing display. I have called and written letters along the way to everyone I know to help get this legislation passed and now it is proving pointless.

Molly Gonzales' La Casita

2006 Madison Ave

Memphis, TN 38104

(901) 726-1873

Tennessee House votes to override governor's veto of guns-in-bars bill : Mid-South : Memphis Commercial Appeal

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest truthsayer

While I hate what happened to you, it is in our best interest to remain quiet until we see who is serious about posting their restaurants properly. Believe it or not, there are people in the city who are not avid news hounds and might not understand the legislation. If they choose to remain ignorant, it makes life much easier for us. As for the woman at Molly's, I agree she was out of line. There might be more like her. Let's not anger them and discreetly go about our lives as armed citizens.

Guest eyebedam
Welcome.

Oddly enough, I just read the same account on CA's website. ;) You been arguing with the sky is falling, end of our communities crowd?

What is CA's website?

To the OP you handled yourself much better than I would have. I would have tipped the server then walked out with food on the table after calling out the lady to the entire restaraunt. That's probably why my wife don't let me out much. LOL

Guest nokomom

You know a writer from the CA approached me about a month or so ago. He wanted to do an article on HCPs in Memphis and wanted to use me as an example. After talking with my husband we decided that we did not want them to skew anything, which they have been known to do. Gosh, I am having to really try to restrain myself from calling that writer now!

Oh, and I want to thank everyone on the boards here. My husband and I found out about "the call" that makes the permit process a little quicker on here!

Edited by nokomom
Was not finished with post

I know now why we go out to dine about 3 times a year,I never enjoy it and when we do go normally we receive poor service and the food normally is missing an entree or some other problem.We just quit going anywhere to eat,besides I know how to cook and have been the chief chef in our home forever.The food is always hot and the drinks are cold and I dont worry about getting a table,besides my wife tips me pretty well.;)

Guest KevinM
she ranted about how she "would kill anyone herself who brought a gun in her bar"

Interesting. An HCP holder carrying in a posted establishment is a misdemeanor. Murder will probably get yout life in prison. :up:

Guest nokomom

People believe goofy things but when you ask them why, they stumble and do not have answers. This woman could not explain her position logically so she reverted to anger and frustration. I have had my birthday party there for the past two years. I'm gonna miss the place but I will never, ever, go back. Please call or write them so they understand what is really happening. The Restaurant Association has been working tirelessly to scare them all the death.

Guest Loaded247

Actually, if she would have made the statement to me about 'killing' someone, I would have asked her a simple question: "Pardon me ma'am, but what do you intend to kill them with?"

Guest nokomom
Actually, if she would have made the statement to me about 'killing' someone, I would have asked her a simple question: "Pardon me ma'am, but what do you intend to kill them with?"

Oh, she DID tell us what she would kill them with. She said she would kill them with her bare hands! You know, she probably could too.

Yea she's gonna look funny with a kitchen knife and two smoking holes in her t-box.

Yep - that's it for me. Molly's was the site of our first date. We go back once in a blue moon, mainly because Midtown is just this...CRAZY! Was wanting to take our kids there, but now - no way. I won't give my $$ to psychos like this.

• Administrator

I don't see why anyone would say it is best not to ask the management or wait staff about their intentions regarding HB0962. Frankly, I'd rather know sooner than later that an establishment doesn't want my money. Why the heck would I want to continue padding their wallet waiting for them to reveal their hand???

I'm sorry that the the thread's original poster experienced such a rude reaction from the tugboat of a woman manager, but at least you know now. :)

I don't see why anyone would say it is best not to ask the management or wait staff about their intentions regarding HB0962. Frankly, I'd rather know sooner than later that an establishment doesn't want my money. Why the heck would I want to continue padding their wallet waiting for them to reveal their hand???

I'm sorry that the the thread's original poster experienced such a rude reaction from the tugboat of a woman manager, but at least you know now. :)

I understand wanting to know what someone's intentions are, but also undertstand that many, if not most, are completely ignorant of what is going on in the world.

Hate to cite the "don't ask, don't tell" philosophy but it's a great defense against reactionaries who only take action or choose to educate themselves when an issue is presented. Quite often in a way not expected or beneficial.

I would not confront or ask the opinion of management of most of the restaurants in this state. Just the same as we don't ask the local mall officials why we can't carry a gun, or anywhere else that chooses to post and deny the right.

Guest 3pugguy

in the face of an idiot. Good on ya and your spouse. Sorry your child (and the other diners) had to witness someone act that way.

Guest nokomom

Thank you to everyone on these boards. Are any of you going out as a group to HCP friendly restaurants that serve alcohol on July 14th? I would love to get a group together in my area of town. Heck, I would feel safe enough that I could leave my gun at home and have a glass of wine in a room full of sober HCPs. That is a wonderful thing!

Guest David Waldrip

Nokomom,

Welcome to TGO, and thanks for the heads up on Molly's. Used to go there all the time several years ago.

-David

Guest blackbeltchick

Welcome from Morristown. Sorry you and your family had to go through such a traumatic ordeal. Hope your daughter is doing well. Not everyone is as stupid as that person ( can't bring myself to call her a woman or a lady)