Koodos for Bradley county

Guest Lstevison

Guest Lstevison

Our good sheriff

Sheriff Gobble: Carry Permits And The Law

by Sheriff Tim Gobble

posted June 4, 2009

I have long been an advocate for the right of law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms, in accordance with our Second Amendment right. A well-armed citizenry is one of the best defenses against crime.

Our elected representatives in Nashville recently proposed legislation that would allow qualified citizens to carry firearms into state parks, restaurants and other places that serve alcohol, provided the carrier does not drink. They are to be commended for their pro-gun position, as well as for overriding the governor's veto of that gun bill.

I support self-defense rights and every law-abiding citizen deserves the option of protecting themselves, even in those places where alcohol is being served, as long as they, themselves, are not consuming alcohol.

I believe carrying a sidearm is much like operating a vehicle ~ it must be done responsibility. It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol because an impaired driver becomes a danger to themselves and others on the road. This analogy holds true with gun ownership. As soon as a person is under the influence of alcohol while carrying a gun, they become a danger to themselves and others. It is not the car that is the danger and it is not the gun that is the danger, it is the impaired or irresponsible operator or carrier who is the danger.

I have a proven record of supporting gun rights, and this record was noted in American Rifleman magazine last November when I defended a homeowner who used his firearm to protect himself. I will continue to uphold and advocate that Second Amendment right for all qualified citizens.

The operative word there is "qualified." As a law enforcement professional, I am well aware that people can be dangerous who use guns inappropriately. That is why I encourage everyone who owns a gun or who is thinking of buying a gun to take gun safety classes and practice proper usage. I also encourage folks to only purchase safe, reliable, functional weapons from reputable firearms dealers, and go through the proper channels of securing permits and knowledge of the law. The BCSO offers gun safety and training courses. If you are interested in taking our gun safety course, contact Cathy Ruth at 728-7301. She will arrange for you to receive all the information you need. Although the course is free to Bradley County residents, a $5 fee is required for use of the shooting range.

It is every individual's Constitutional right to own and carry a firearm for sport or personal protection unless in certain areas prohibited by law (such as courtrooms and presidential venues) or illegal or irresponsible actions on their part preclude them from that right.

To find out more about the BCSO, visit us on-line at: Bradley County Sheriff's Office - Tim Gobble, Sheriff - BradleySheriff.com. You can also write: 2290 Blythe Ave., SE, Cleveland 37311, or email me personally: comments@bradleysheriff.com

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest abailey362

you do have to be a bradley co resident to take the course from them. they use our range at chrpc for the live fire exercises....please leave your brass

Guest TurboniumOxide

But don't you dare speed in Bradley county. I got busted twice in one week by the same officer while going to my new job in Cleveland. Now it's cruise control all the way at EXACTLY the speed limit. The officer told me that someone with my "Colorful Driving History" should be more careful, to which I replied "You would think so wouldn't you?" to which he grinned and handed me the ticket.

When Rep. Zach Wamp runs for governor in 2010, I'm voting for Sheriff Tim Gobble to take his place in Tennessee's 3rd Congressional District. Does anyone remember how the gun-control legislation of 1993 changed the U.S. Congress during the 1994 elections? The mid-term elections are not that far off.

Woody

Our good sheriff

Sheriff Gobble: Carry Permits And The Law

by Sheriff Tim Gobble

posted June 4, 2009

I have long been an advocate for the right of law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms, in accordance with our Second Amendment right. A well-armed citizenry is one of the best defenses against crime.

Our elected representatives in Nashville recently proposed legislation that would allow qualified citizens to carry firearms into state parks, restaurants and other places that serve alcohol, provided the carrier does not drink. They are to be commended for their pro-gun position, as well as for overriding the governor's veto of that gun bill.

I support self-defense rights and every law-abiding citizen deserves the option of protecting themselves, even in those places where alcohol is being served, as long as they, themselves, are not consuming alcohol.

I believe carrying a sidearm is much like operating a vehicle ~ it must be done responsibility. It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol because an impaired driver becomes a danger to themselves and others on the road. This analogy holds true with gun ownership. As soon as a person is under the influence of alcohol while carrying a gun, they become a danger to themselves and others. It is not the car that is the danger and it is not the gun that is the danger, it is the impaired or irresponsible operator or carrier who is the danger.

I have a proven record of supporting gun rights, and this record was noted in American Rifleman magazine last November when I defended a homeowner who used his firearm to protect himself. I will continue to uphold and advocate that Second Amendment right for all qualified citizens.

The operative word there is "qualified." As a law enforcement professional, I am well aware that people can be dangerous who use guns inappropriately. That is why I encourage everyone who owns a gun or who is thinking of buying a gun to take gun safety classes and practice proper usage. I also encourage folks to only purchase safe, reliable, functional weapons from reputable firearms dealers, and go through the proper channels of securing permits and knowledge of the law. The BCSO offers gun safety and training courses. If you are interested in taking our gun safety course, contact Cathy Ruth at 728-7301. She will arrange for you to receive all the information you need. Although the course is free to Bradley County residents, a $5 fee is required for use of the shooting range.

It is every individual's Constitutional right to own and carry a firearm for sport or personal protection unless in certain areas prohibited by law (such as courtrooms and presidential venues) or illegal or irresponsible actions on their part preclude them from that right.

To find out more about the BCSO, visit us on-line at: Bradley County Sheriff's Office - Tim Gobble, Sheriff - BradleySheriff.com. You can also write: 2290 Blythe Ave., SE, Cleveland 37311, or email me personally: comments@bradleysheriff.com

Thank you Sheriff Gobble for saying and doing the right thing! The folks in Bradley County have done a great job in electing you!! Keep up the good work!!

Kind Regards,

LEROY

When Rep. Zach Wamp runs for governor in 2010, I'm voting for Sheriff Tim Gobble to take his place in Tennessee's 3rd Congressional District. Does anyone remember how the gun-control legislation of 1993 changed the U.S. Congress during the 1994 elections? The mid-term elections are not that far off.

Woody

Well said. I remember the elections right after the infamous Gun Control Act of 1968. It finished a 30 year veteran senator from Tennessee; who, if it hadn't been for his vote for this infamous bill, would have been unbeatable. His name was Albert Gore, Sr. Actions do have consequences.

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

LEROY

Bear in mind that he probably published this because he's running for the Legislature, and for no other reason. He IS a politician.

I'll probably vote for him too. Once.

I don't trust any politicians anymore.

enfield, I will say that Tim Gobble is a fine man who is good to his word. He served on the city council in Cleveland before he ran for Sheriff, and worked for the secret service for years before that. The man has an outstanding track record, and I honestly think he would be a fantastic replacement for Zach Wamp. plus, the fact that he sued Bradley County over the lack of funds provided for his department just makes him even better in my book for looking out for his officers. He really came in and shook up the "Good Ol' Boy" club in Cleveland when it really needed shaking up.

Guest Spuds

One blemish of sorts, a mild one I guess, is how Gobble handles the disposition of seized firearms. Under the previous Sheriff, an auction was held once per year or as needed and the firearms offered to the highest bidder for each, be they a dealer or a private citizen. A local FFL handled TICS checks for those sold to the citizenry. This benefited the county in that the best price for each firearm was realized, that's what happens in auctions.

Gobble won't auction the firearms as before, he sells them to FFL dealers or utilizes them as trade offsets for new weapons for his department. While for certain that's a step above destroying the firearms, his explanation for disposing of the firearms in this manner would seem to bely his public profession of faith in private gun ownership with use of suspect reasons (unsafe, cheap, dangerous, unreliable.)

Bradley County Sheriff's Office - Tim Gobble, Sheriff - GUN SAFETY

All too often, deputies must confiscate cheap, unreliable and dangerous hand guns from criminals. Most often these criminals know very little about gun safety, and they care even less. These confiscated weapons usually have the serial numbers filed off or they are in such shoddy condition that they pose a hazard to the shooter as well as the shooter’s intended victim. These deficient, unreliable firearms usually always end up in the hands of criminals, gang members or people who fail to qualify for ownership, and they pose any number of dangers to the public safety.

Obviously, once weapons are confiscated they are not returned to the criminals. It therefore falls to the BCSO to dispose of them. The law requires confiscated weapons be disposed of in one of three ways: they may be sold at auction, they may be traded with reputable dealers for other weapons or they may be destroyed. Confiscated weapons that have any worth are sold or traded to reputable gun dealers. Of course, no reputable dealer will touch unsafe hand guns or illegal weapons such as sawed-off shotguns; therefore, there is no other recourse for the BCSO but to destroy them.

For certain, selling or trading them to dealers is better than destroying them, and Gobble deserves credit for that. I just wish he'd go a step further and allow members of the public to purchase them at auction.

Gobble won't auction the firearms as before, he sells them to FFL dealers or utilizes them as trade offsets for new weapons for his department. While for certain that's a step above destroying the firearms, his explanation for disposing of the firearms in this manner would seem to bely his public profession of faith in private gun ownership with use of suspect reasons (unsafe, cheap, dangerous, unreliable.)

Seems to be the smart choice, it helps the Sheriff’s fiscal needs while keeping the county out of the gun trade. Let the FFL’s warrant their sales and deal with the liabilities. The worthy firearms will still reach the citizens. I don't see that as an issue of gun ownership.

Woody