URGENT - POSSIBLE VETO ON PARKS BILL!!!

Guest stovepipe

I'd say its safe to say he's already started his day...He's going to be on the hill most of the day. I started mine early hopeing I could help today if called upon.

Honestly, I have heard several things. Last thing I got from John late last night was the Senate version was never pulled... thing is I dont exactly know what that means.

Right now Im as lost as last years easter egg.... I have sent out emails already this morning, but Im still waiting on John to see exactly what else is needed.

That is my understanding as well... Which means the Bill is still on the Governors desk waiting to be signed today.

It's also my understanding the Governor is heading out of town today as well.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead
That is my understanding as well... Which means the Bill is still on the Governors desk waiting to be signed today.

It's also my understanding the Governor is heading out of town today as well.

That would give him political cover.... "Uh, I was rushing around and forgot to veto it."

Wishful thinking I guess. LOLOLOL

Guest stovepipe

Okay, just spoke to the Gov's office. The bill was recalled by Rep Nicely, but the request has not been submitted to the Gov, as yet. They are expecting it sometime today. No one knows (or is telling) if the reason for the recall was a negotiation to swap the "Beer Board Veto" on the restaurant carry bill for the local park exemption, or what...

After the recalled bill is returned to the Gov, the 10 day waiting period starts again.

Bill history: Tennessee General Assembly Legislation

Guest HexHead
Okay, just spoke to the Gov's office. The bill was recalled by Rep Nicely, but the request has not been submitted to the Gov, as yet. They are expecting it sometime today. No one knows (or is telling) if the reason for the recall was a negotiation to swap the "Beer Board Veto" on the restaurant carry bill for the local park exemption, or what...

After the recalled bill is returned to the Gov, the 10 day waiting period starts again.

I wonder if the request will show up today or not since the Senate supposedly didn't concur on the issue? 10 day waiting period would start over again? Sounds like the Governor is trying to run the clock out so he can veto it and have the Legislature break for the year before they can override anything again. It sure sounds like he's playing games with us.

Just let this sleeping dog lie and let the chips fall where they may. And go for the override next week.

I don't think this is correct... If you watch the video from the "recall" the motion set forth was on a recall vote from the Senate the House would approve the recall as well.

I'm not an expert on recalls (they don't happen very often) but it appears as if both the Senate and House must approve a recall, and I can't find any record of the Senate doing that yesterday.

As of right now the bill is still sitting on the Governors desk and unless he veto's it, the Senate approves a recall, it becomes law at 12:01 tomorrow. Now the House may have given the Governor perfect cover for a veto but doing this...

If anybody has other information please post it, it's not like we see recalls on a regular basis.

Guest HexHead

I just sent this email to Niceley and cc:'d my Rep....

Dear Rep. Niceley,

I understand the Governor's office is expecting you to recall the Parks bill today to remove/ modify the local parks provision. I also understand that the Senate has non-concurred on recalling the bill.

I urge you NOT to recall this bill and to just let it run it's course today. Should the Governor veto it before today's deadline the Legislature can try for the override next week.

With everything I've been reading about deals being made and then the Governor's office denying them, it sounds like he's just trying to run out the clock. Especially since the 10 day waiting period would start over again, possibly giving him time to veto it and have the Legislature break for the year before an override is possible. I don't feel the Governor can be trusted on any bill concerning firearms at this point.

Again, I urge you in the strongest possible way to let sleeping dogs lie with this bill and let the chips fall where they may.

Sincerely,

Guest HexHead
See I don't understand the need to recall based on the beer permit issue. The lawyers already told the city council they couldn't do it, so why would a deal need to be struck there??

To prevent not just Metro, but any other local jurisdictions from looking for a loophole to try and impose a ban. We only won round one.

Guest HexHead
Can somebody....

anybody....

tell me for SURE what in the HELL is going on with this one.

Too many possibilities... OVERLOAD....

The suspense is Terrible!

For SURE? The State's permission to carry with a HCP into restaurants or bars that are not posted goes into effect July 14. That's it.

Oh yeah, and you'll be able to carry in National Parks sometime in Feb. 2010. :popcorn:

No I mean with this one…:D

I HEAR…

Staying on Govs desk because no senate agreement. Clock counting down 12:01 tonight…

Going back. Then 10 more days…

Gone Lost this one all together…

Gonna VETO, but only if NBredesen can get enough deer and bear bussed into capitol for adequate OBAMATIC approved photo op.:popcorn:

As it stands right now, the bill IS on the Governors desk waiting to be signed, the 10 day limit to be reached or the Governor to veto the bill.

Things that can happen...

1. Nobody does anything and the bill will become law at 12:01 June 13th, 2008

2. The Governor vetoes the bill before midnight tonight. The bill would be returned to the Legislature for a possible override vote (there is some question whether we have the votes for an override on this or not.)

3. The Senate passes a recall motion today, the house has already passed the motion so if the Governor agrees he can send the bill back to the Legislature (It's my understanding this would have to all happen before midnight tonight). If there was a sucessful recall motion, the bill could be changed and resubmitted to the Governor kicking off another 10 day (minus Sundays) timer.

That appears to be the complete list of what can happen at this point.

No I mean with this one…:D

I HEAR…

Staying on Govs desk because no senate agreement. Clock counting down 12:01 tonight…

Going back. Then 10 more days…

Gone Lost this one all together…

Gonna VETO, but only if NBredesen can get enough deer and bear bussed into capitol for adequate OBAMATIC approved photo op.:popcorn:

See I don't understand the need to recall based on the beer permit issue. The lawyers already told the city council they couldn't do it, so why would a deal need to be struck there??

That the part that bothers me about this situation. Maybe I'm just missing some glaring issue, but the state's law about preemption seems to ensure that things like the proposed beer permit restriction could not be held as legal. As such, I can't understand the reason for pulling this bill as part of some political trade to "close the loophole" - since I can't see that one actually exists.

It seems to me the safest thing to do is let the Gov veto it and try to override him again. I'm afraid that taking step backwards will only increase the chances that we get stuck losing those steps.

Guest HexHead

Nashville City Paper has this.....

No Deal On ‘Guns-In-Parks’

By Kleinheider

Posted on June 12, 2009 at 9:31 am

Post Politics has learned that despite reports yesterday that the ‘guns-in-parks’ bill would be pulled under a veto threat from the Governor, the bill will not be recalled.

Rep. Frank Niceley did recall the bill in the House yesterday but that recall was contingent on the Senate sponsor, Sen. Mae Beavers doing the same. Post Politics has learned that Beavers will not recall the bill. There is no deal.

Governor Bredesen said as much yesterday. The Governor said he was told that the sponsors of the bill had on their own decided to “clean up” the bill. And that he had made no threats and no deals.

Rep. Niceley said yesterday that he was recalling the bill to eliminate the section that allows permit holders to carry in city and county parks while allowing armed permit holders to enter state parks.

Niceley said in exchange that Bredesen agreed not to veto any more gun legislation including an amendment that would prevent local governments from trying to avoid the ‘guns in bars’ law via their ability to regulate alcoholic beverages.

If Governor Bredesen does wish to veto the bill he must do so by midnight tonight.

No Deal On ‘Guns-In-Parks’ : Post Politics: Political News and Views in Tennessee

I wonder what time the Governor's plane leaves? :popcorn:

Edited by HexHead
Guest tn-dave

Looks like the Gov. was supposed to be in Knoxville today for the I-40 opening. Let's hope it is only "budget work" he will be doing this evening

WBIR.com | Knoxville, TN | Budget work keeps Gov. Bredesen away from I-40 reopening

As TDOT prepares to reopen I-40 through downtown Knoxville to much fanfare, one high-profile guest will be notably absent. Gov. Phil Bredesen canceled at the last minute, due to ongoing budget work.

Bredesen's office sent out an announcement just before 11 Friday morning.