Question about HCP class

My wife and I are taking our HCP class tomorrow and I am wanting to know what kind of shots we are going to have to take. I know every class is probably different. I've heard that we will have to shoot from the hip, shoot gangster style(with the gun sideways), and with both hands. Is this true or not? I did talk to the instructer and know that we will be shooting a total of 48 shots from 3,7 and 15 yards with 24 of those at 3 yards. He did say that many older women who have never handled a firearm take his class and have no problems. From what I've read it's almost impossible to fail so I'm not concerned just curious. Has anyone ever failed? It seems that they make it so no one will!!

Edited by brooksjr
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My class was 12 shots each at 3,7 & 15 yards. In each case the first 6 were one at a time, and the second six were at our own pace. We had our choice of range for the last 14 shots to total 50 rounds, so long as it was at least 7 yards.

A "hit" was anything anywhere in the black of a full sized silhouette target. I can't remember what passing score was, maybe 70%.

I suppose people who are lousy shots still have the right to defend themselves, but I was shocked at how lax the marksmanship requirement of the class was.

I think some of the perception of "lax" marksmanship is that it's a little bit of a stretch to call defensive shooting "marksmanship" to begin with, at least in a classical target shooting sense. Think about it, 15 yards is 45'. Depending on circumstances you might be having to work pretty hard on justifying yourself shooting at somebody that far away. The way the law is set up currently you have to be able to demonstrate a very real and proximate threat to apply lethal force and I'm betting the HUGE majority of clean shoots take place inside that 7yd range.

I'm not saying it's not better to be accurate. In fact, I'm of the mind it's impossible to be TOO accurate. (If anything I could probably spend a little more time just making sure I'm fast on target and not just going for one hole groups at the range) Just saying that lawful handgun defense isn't really a precision at distance sort of thing.

Guest xd40guy

I don't recall how many shots were fired in my class; however, I remember having to draw from the holster, shoot and re-holster. We were also required to shoot one handed (five rounds with left, five with right.)

When I took the class you shot as you wished and it was fairly easy if you had experience with your firearm. Don't get caught up in things that may not happen, wait and see what will be required and go from there.

Best advice I can give is listen to the info, be safe and relax.

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA
If you fail the shooting part you really should not even be in the same room with a firearm.:D No action shots, 3, 7, 15yds.

Relax and enjoy the class. Have fun.

oldogy

Of course, there are people that pass that still should not even be in the same room with a firearm.

Guest blackbeltchick

I've only shot my P-11 once before I took my class. It was 48 shots, I only missed once but it was still on the paper! No fancy shooting involved, just point and shoot when they tell you to. I think I was more worried about the paper test than the shooting test. My class was eight hours plus range time so I had to bring my lunch.

The requirement for my class (at Coal Creak Armory in Knoxville) was 12 shots and 3, 7, and 15 yards. Then, 12 shots at whatever we liked. The requirement, I believe, is 37 out of 48 shots have to be within the number circle (sorry I don't know what that's called). You can't just hit the black part of the target. It's pretty easy to pass. I don't think I am a very good shot and I only had 4 shots outside the 9 range. Of course, the guy next to me had a snub noise .38 and he was all over the target--but I believe still 100% in the "counting" area. Let's put it this way, my wife has shot a handgun maybe 4 times in her life (no more than a 20 rounds at a time), and she passed with HIGH flying colors.

Matthew

Guest 3pugguy

+1 to the other posters. Shooting part is not hard - just squeeze don't yank (writes the guy who tends to yank it and shoot left...).

Good luck and have fun!

Congratulations on the class. Now hurry up and get the paperwork in so the countdown begins:)

Not sure if they have the same schedule, but when I was going through this the license center in Manchester (now in Tullahoma) was only open on Tues-Friday. Lincoln County was open Monday-Thurs. So I went to Lincoln Co. and they directed me across the street to the Sheriff's Dept to get fingerprinted; had to wait for them to get back from lunch, but got it done all the same day when I was thinking I would have to make an appointment to be fingerprinted.

Guest foister82

I have another question regarding HCP class. I was advised to bring the gun i was most experienced with, and not the one i intend to carry... doesnt this seem odd? Its with Washington Co. Sherrifs Dept. I jokingly said "i have the most experience with my sig mosquito .22 LR" and he told me that several people qualify with .22 pistols and that one would actually work out great because its a training pistol anyway (then made some interesting comments about training wheels on your bicycle).

My question is... should i use the gun im most seasoned with? Or should i borrow my friend's XDM or my brother's glock for the course (both .40)

Guest TurboniumOxide

There were 12 people in my class, of those 12, 10 qualified with the 22. Just me and a hot mama qualified with .45. She had a tricked out 1911, I had a glock 36 which is my carry weapon. The 10 with 22s rented their guns, and they were ruger semi autos.

We shot 48 rounds. 8 sets of 6 at 3,7,15,30 All of us shot the center out of the target. We had a hot .45 casing go down into the bra area of one of the girls who had an "ample" target zone. I would like to say I wasn't amused. But I can't.

(not MY brass)

Edited by TurboniumOxide

I would (and did) use the gun I carry (Glock 22).

My sis in law borrowed her husbands XD.

She had a .38 snubby that was a little too snappy for that many rounds.

One thing, if you do use the .22, watch where the brass goes.

Guest foister82

my mosquito doesnt really have any more ejection than say the XDM 40 that i shoot on occasion, unless you mean something else by that.

Guest illumina

Are you by chance taking it at the Senior Center in Jonesborough? The free class taught by a member of the WCPD? Steve I think his name is.

Either way, I'd recommend shooting the .22 or whichever you're most comfortable with. I used my G19, but if I had a .22 I would've used that just to save a little cash.

my mosquito doesnt really have any more ejection than say the XDM 40 that i shoot on occasion, unless you mean something else by that.

That's what I meant, we had a guy with a .22 that rained hot brass on the lady next to him!:D

The RO wound up asking him to move to the end of the line.

... Its with Washington Co. Sherrifs Dept. I jokingly said "i have the most experience with my sig mosquito .22 LR" and he told me that several people qualify with .22 pistols ...

I'm trying to get my wife to do that class. If she goes through with it, she'll be shooting a .22. :D