TGI Friday's in Memphis on Winchester "no guns allowed"

Just drove by the TGI Friday's in Memphis on Winchester. They have already posted a blue and white "notice - no guns allowed" sign.

It's a shame. I liked most of their food too. My wife is just as steamed as I am about it.

I wonder if it is a corporate thing?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh man, not Fridays. They had Guinness on draft :tough:

I know, they have Killians as well.

I just sent this letter to "Guest Relations"....we'll see what they say about it.

I am writing to voice my concern with your restaurant located on Winchester Rd in Memphis, TN. I have noticed that this location has been posted with a "No guns allowed" sign.

You may be aware that Tennesse just passed a law allowing handgun permit holders to go into restaurants that serve alcohol, making it the 37th state to do so. After 12 years of fighting for this change in the law, we have finally prevailed, just to be blocked by a no weapons sign.

My wife and I visit your restaurant often, and we are very disappointed in this decision. As a result, we will no longer be customers. This posting violates my right to protect my family while dining. I am sure a large percentage of the 220,000 Tennessee handgun carry permmit holders will agree and not be returning to your establishment.

Thank you for your time.

Former customer,

Thomas Spain

Guest SUNTZU

That's a good question. I wonder if we could have some cases similar to the general manager at the Walmart that banned handguns, only to find that was not corporate policy. Another thing, from the OP, it sounds like its not, uh, politicallly correct signage.

Another thing, from the OP, it sounds like its not, uh, politicallly correct signage.

It is not correct signage. The generic circle/slash over the gun and all the sign said was no guns allowed.

Guest Seminole

People, PLEASE stop asking managers if they're going to post their restaurant--it only makes them think about it. Similarly, if a restaurant is not posted properly (as this TGI Friday's apparently is not) DON'T tell them. The only effect you can possibly have by talking with managers about these two things is to reduce the number of places we can legally carry. :wall:

People, PLEASE stop asking managers if they're going to post their restaurant--it only makes them think about it. Similarly, if a restaurant is not posted properly (as this TGI Friday's apparently is not) DON'T tell them. The only effect you can possibly have by talking with managers about these two things is to reduce the number of places we can legally carry. :wall:

If I close my eyes, they can't see me.

Guest resobubba

Ditto!

Guest 270win

Stop asking waitresses and restaurant managers "Hey can I carry my handgun in here July 14th?" I honestly don't care what their opinion is one way or the other on political subjects such as guns. All i care about is if my food is served properly. As long as the business is not legally posted, then there is absolutely no problem. If people keep asking questions like this is some sort of novelty that does not go on anywhere else, businesses WILL stick up legal signs. I am from Arkansas and have NEVER seen a sign prohibiting handguns at restaurants. You must conceal in Arkansas by law too, so maybe that cuts down on a few who want to ask questions, openly carry, and then get run off by the restaurant manager. Conceal and you'll never have a problem.

I agree completely with Seminole, I won't be posting if signage is correct or not anymore.

The restaurant was already posted, so me emailing them with my concerns won't cause any harm. The owner of the local franchise may be violating corporate policy, who knows.

Stop asking waitresses and restaurant managers "Hey can I carry my handgun in here July 14th?" I honestly don't care what their opinion is one way or the other on political subjects such as guns. All i care about is if my food is served properly. As long as the business is not legally posted, then there is absolutely no problem. If people keep asking questions like this is some sort of novelty that does not go on anywhere else, businesses WILL stick up legal signs. I am from Arkansas and have NEVER seen a sign prohibiting handguns at restaurants. You must conceal in Arkansas by law too, so maybe that cuts down on a few who want to ask questions, openly carry, and then get run off by the restaurant manager. Conceal and you'll never have a problem.

Trust me, I'm not going to ask any manager or waitress or whomever if I can carry in their place. If it's not posted, then I'm carrying.

I'm not saying anything to anyone, if they don't have a sign I'll go in concealed and eat, if they have a sign I'll eat somewhere else, even if their sign is improper because I don't wish to give my money to ignorant and bigoted restaurant owners in the first place, and even if their sign is improper, it's still very possible that challenging them if your outed will be alot of hassle to you. I would rather not have to get a lawyer to to prove I was right and spend a day in court. If they don't want me there, they can go have sexual intercourse with themselves. That's my attitude about it.

People, PLEASE stop asking managers if they're going to post their restaurant--it only makes them think about it. Similarly, if a restaurant is not posted properly (as this TGI Friday's apparently is not) DON'T tell them. The only effect you can possibly have by talking with managers about these two things is to reduce the number of places we can legally carry. :)

Do you really think a big chain restaurant manager is unaware of this law? Or even a local mom and pop with all the media coverage? You can bet that the restaurant association is blitzing them with info and scare-tactics, so they already know and are hearing one side of the story.

If we politely ask, and show ourselves as responsible citizens, then we have a chance of swaying their opinion.

Besides, once they go through all the trouble of posting, trust me, you will not convince them to remove the sign.

I'm not saying anything to anyone, if they don't have a sign I'll go in concealed and eat, if they have a sign I'll eat somewhere else, even if their sign is improper because I don't wish to give my money to ignorant and bigoted restaurant owners in the first place, and even if their sign is improper, it's still very possible that challenging them if your outed will be alot of hassle to you. I would rather not have to get a lawyer to to prove I was right and spend a day in court. If they don't want me there, they can go have sexual intercourse with themselves. That's my attitude about it.

Agreed. If they are posted, correctly or not, they don't want my business. So I'll go elsewhere.

Just drove by the TGI Friday's in Memphis on Winchester. They have already posted a blue and white "notice - no guns allowed" sign.

It's a shame. I liked most of their food too. My wife is just as steamed as I am about it.

I wonder if it is a corporate thing?

I'd suggest contacting the corporate headquarters of TGI Friday and complaining. This very well maybe a local manager who took it upon themselves to post the sign without proper approval.

Guest Seminole
Do you really think a big chain restaurant manager is unaware of this law? Or even a local mom and pop with all the media coverage? You can bet that the restaurant association is blitzing them with info and scare-tactics, so they already know and are hearing one side of the story.

If we politely ask, and show ourselves as responsible citizens, then we have a chance of swaying their opinion.

Do you have any examples of such questions actually swaying a manager or owner's opinion?

Besides, once they go through all the trouble of posting, trust me, you will not convince them to remove the sign.

Again, do you have any evidence to this effect? My experience says precisely the opposite. A new Home Depot opened in midtown Memphis a couple of years ago. On my first visit, I noticed that it was posted, so I didn't enter. When I got home I called the manager and explained to tell him why I had gone to Lowe's that morning to purchase several hundred dollars of supplies. I mentioned that I was also going to be contacting the national headquarters of his company, which I did. Two days later I was contacted by Home Depot to tell me that the midtown Memphis store was no longer posted and they would appreciate my business. This has also happened in restaurants in other states.

Wait to see if the business posts. If it posts a legal sign, THEN is the time to contact the manager and, if it is a national chain, corporate headquarters. If it posts a sign that does not meet legal requirements, either go ahead and carry in the restaurant, or--if your principles don't allow that--just don't enter, but don't call their attention to the fact that they don't have a legal sign. It just increases the likelihood that the restaurant will post a legal one, barring entry to HCP holders who could otherwise carry there.