+1 Franklin Police

Guest JHatmaker

Guest JHatmaker

So, had a little incident last night at my house (actually it was around 12:45 am). All is well and my wife and 3 yr old are fast asleep. My wife was sleeping in our guest room b/c I was snoring too loud. :snore:

Anyway, all of a sudden I hear this loud banging coming from the downstairs, not a knock but like someone was banging their fist again our back sliding glass door or something.:blink: My wife runs in and asks if I heard that, and I did. Even woke my son up. Then we hear noises that sounded like someone was turning our front door knob. The wife goes; "well...get your gun." I grabbed one of my SIG's and was shining the laser/light downstairs and out our front door windows, but couldn't see anything.:wall:

Next thing I know, my wife has 911 on the line and is explaining what is happening. :drama: The dispatcher asks her some questions, one of them being if I had a gun, she said yes, and the dispatcher tells her to tell me to put my gun away so the police know I'm the good guy in case this is something serious. (I'm thinking it's some kids playing a prank, but the whole door knob thing kinda had me thinking :shrug:....).

A few minutes later the police arrive and knock on the door.:cop: I see 3 uniformed officers, two plain clothes officers, and another dude in cargo pants and a police shirt. I was like damn, and apologized to the officer for sending so many people out. He told me they had their gang unit out and weren't on any other calls, so it was no biggie. He was extremely nice. I told him my prank theory, and he said when they pulled up, they saw two men run from my yard and in b/t two houses. They searched the area but to my knowledge didn't see anyone (probably teenagers and ran inside their house on another street). Still, when you're dead asleep and wake up to that, you have no idea what to think.

Anyway, just wanted to sing some praises on how cool they were and how quickly they responded and treated it very seriously. :up:One on the officers commented on my "Honk If I'm Paying Your Mortgage" bumper sticker on my car, so I gave him one. Thanks to all our law enforcement officers out there, I appreciate your work, and the professionalism you give even on situations that could have been nothing but some kids.:usa:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudos to the responding officers....not so much for the dispatcher that said put your gun away before the officers arrived.

Granted it's probably not a good idea to be standing out in the yard with the gun in your hand when the arrive, but staying armed and in a defensive position inside until they do arrive would be the best IMO.

Guest JHatmaker
Nice! Glad everything turned out well.

With the need for a Gang Unit in Franklin, it's obvious no community is safe from these scumbags.

That's what I was thinking. I asked if it was a problem in this area, and he said these days it's everywhere...

That's what I was thinking. I asked if it was a problem in this area, and he said these days it's everywhere...

I've been amazed at how much gang activity has exploded in the Murfreesboro area in the past few years.

I've been amazed at how much gang activity has exploded in the Murfreesboro area in the past few years.

Gang activity has been in both communities for a very long time, but you can probably thank the City of Nashville for such a noticeable increase.

When the City of Nashville decided it would be a good idea to close down several housing projects near the downtown area, the trash had to be redistributed to the suburbs.

I recently read an article about this very issue, and they directly linked these closings to the rise in crime around areas like Madison, Franklin, Hermitage, Antioch, Goodlettsville, Brentwood, etc.

Just a suggestion, from a police officer :wall:, take a second to send a short e-mail or letter to the Chief explaining how you had a positive interaction with the officers. Too often people only want to talk about negative interactions but never let the administrators know when their folks are doing a good job and positively interacting with folks. They'll honestly appreciate it.

Just a suggestion, from a police officer :wall:, take a second to send a short e-mail or letter to the Chief explaining how you had a positive interaction with the officers. Too often people only want to talk about negative interactions but never let the administrators know when their folks are doing a good job and positively interacting with folks. They'll honestly appreciate it.

+1

... I told him my prank theory, and he said when they pulled up, they saw two men run from my yard and in b/t two houses. They searched the area but to my knowledge didn't see anyone (probably teenagers and ran inside their house on another street). Still, when you're dead asleep and wake up to that, you have no idea what to think.

On the other hand, the perpetrators may have parked their car in another section of the neighborhood or an adjoining road to avoid capture.

I would be visiting my neighbors, even the people you do not know, and let them know what happen. The neighborhood needs to be on high alert and be on the lookout for strangers or a car cruising the neighborhood in case this was not a prank.

Guest mikedwood
Just a suggestion, from a police officer :), take a second to send a short e-mail or letter to the Chief explaining how you had a positive interaction with the officers. Too often people only want to talk about negative interactions but never let the administrators know when their folks are doing a good job and positively interacting with folks. They'll honestly appreciate it.

Glad the family is OK, and the police were great to you. My son lives in Murfreesboro and he thinks the PD there is great also.

I would certainly write or call and let them know that positive interaction with citizens is good.

Guest HexHead
Kudos to the responding officers....not so much for the dispatcher that said put your gun away before the officers arrived.

That was my exact thought too. "When seconds count, the police are minutes away."

Guest HexHead
So, had a little incident last night at my house (actually it was around 12:45 am).

Anyway, all of a sudden I hear this loud banging coming from the downstairs, not a knock but like someone was banging their fist again our back sliding glass door or something.

(I'm thinking it's some kids playing a prank, but the whole door knob thing kinda had me thinking :)....).

I told him my prank theory, and he said when they pulled up, they saw two men run from my yard and in b/t two houses. They searched the area but to my knowledge didn't see anyone (probably teenagers and ran inside their house on another street).

Why would you think it was a "prank"? Do you live in a neighborhood of clowns? Pranksters don't start testing door knobs to see if it's unlocked in the middle of the night.

So what if they were teenagers? If they'd gotten inside your home in the middle of the night, would that have kept you from shooting them?

Prank my ass. You were almost a victim of a home invasion. You need to get your head on straight about "oh, it's just some neighborhood kids out for a few laughs."

Prank my ass. You were almost a victim of a home invasion. You need to get your head on straight about "oh, it's just some neighborhood kids out for a few laughs."

I am kinda wondering the same thing.

On the other hand, the perpetrators may have parked their car in another section of the neighborhood or an adjoining road to avoid capture.

I would be visiting my neighbors, even the people you do not know, and let them know what happen. The neighborhood needs to be on high alert and be on the lookout for strangers or a car cruising the neighborhood in case this was not a prank.

If your neighborhood doesn't have a watch group or something similar, you can set up a "group" on Yahoo or Google, and neighbors can sign up via email. Whenever there's news, good or bad, send an email to the group, and everyone gets a copy.

And another +1 to notifying the department head to say thanks for those officers' excellent work. If what Hexhead thinks is true, more patrols need to be scheduled for your area.

Guest bkelm18
Why would you think it was a "prank"? Do you live in a neighborhood of clowns? Pranksters don't start testing door knobs to see if it's unlocked in the middle of the night.

So what if they were teenagers? If they'd gotten inside your home in the middle of the night, would that have kept you from shooting them?

To play devil's advocate here, because it's what I love to do, what makes you think this was anything more than a prank? To say that he was almost a victim of home invasion is just about as extreme as saying that it was merely a prank. Kids can do crap at all hours and "men" is a pretty broad description. In reality, neither you nor the OP can really say what it was. Clowns or not, I think the OP responded pretty damn well. Stand-by with a gun while your wife calls 911. Sounds like it went pretty smoothly, considering.

Guest redbarron06
To play devil's advocate here, because it's what I love to do, what makes you think this was anything more than a prank? To say that he was almost a victim of home invasion is just about as extreme as saying that it was merely a prank. Kids can do crap at all hours and "men" is a pretty broad description. In reality, neither you nor the OP can really say what it was. Clowns or not, I think the OP responded pretty damn well. Stand-by with a gun while your wife calls 911. Sounds like it went pretty smoothly, considering.

A prank becomes a home invasion as soon as they come through the door. If you are going to error do it to the side if safety. It did go smooth and everytihng sounds like it was handeled corretcly except the dispatcher. You have to assume the worst with the knuckleheads we have out there today.

They should have let the K9 loose and wait for the screams.

J/K :)

Glad everything turned out alright for you. thumbsup.gif

Dave.....just when I think you and I are drifting apart on our thinking...you post something like this....:)

Guest JHatmaker
Just a suggestion, from a police officer :mad:, take a second to send a short e-mail or letter to the Chief explaining how you had a positive interaction with the officers. Too often people only want to talk about negative interactions but never let the administrators know when their folks are doing a good job and positively interacting with folks. They'll honestly appreciate it.

Great idea, will do!

Guest JHatmaker

We live in a neighborhood w/ lots of bored suburb kids in it. The houses practically touch other, so why they'd single my house out of the 30 other on my street, I haven't a clue, just assumed they could have been teenagers going house to house wanting to wake someone up, and we're the only house that they saw someone shine a flash light out of, so they knew we were awake and decided to try and scare us. If I hadn't have taken it seriously I wouldn't have cocked the gun ready to shoot. And to answer you question, if ANYONE, adult or teenager comes into my house un-invited noon or night, they're getting shot at.

So take it easy, I'm not trying to think worse case scenario here, but with the kind of neighborhood I live in, that's my first assumption. And all my neighbors are aware of what happened.