Beale Street to Ban All Guns

I was at Beale St one time. So my experience is very limited.

Aside from the place that fries hamburgers in 100 year old grease there was nothing there that made me want to go back. Lots of bums and way overcrowded bars.

It is kind of funny to think they believe they will be making it safer.

Edited by Mike.357
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
If the New Madrid fault let loose again and destroyed Memphis, it would cause billions of dollars worth of improvments to the state. Lake Memphis State Park.
Sounds like a place where a decent citizen really needs ao carry a handgun.

The only time I will ever go through Memphis is when I'm leaving the state.

I love these quotes; they had me rolling! :(

Guest canynracer
Maybe they're going to turn Beale St into a park.

It better be a local park...LOL...if they go state park..I am carrying!!

Sounds like a place where a decent citizen really needs ao carry a handgun.

The only time I will ever go through Memphis is when I'm leaving the state.

Same here, I travel through once a month on business. Rarely do I stop and I always carry a handgun. However, I do feel under-gunned with a handgun in that toilet.

<O:p</O:p

Second highest crime rate in the nation and they are planning on searching people looking for law-abiding citizens (HCP holders), not with the intent of finding criminals…brilliant.

If I were a tourist thinking of coming to to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pMemphis</ST1:p</st1:City>, why would I want to come to a city that has people go through a metal detector before they can walk down a street? What does that say about <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pMemphis</ST1:p</st1:City>? Not a place one needs to visit…..like <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pBaghdad.</ST1:p</st1:City>

Edited by PC7

Second highest crime rate in the nation and they are planning on searching people looking for law-abiding citizens (HCP holders), not with the intent of finding criminals…brilliant.

If I were a tourist thinking of coming to to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pMemphis</ST1:p</st1:City>, why would I want to come to a city that has people go through a metal detector before they can walk down a street? What does that say about <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pMemphis</ST1:p</st1:City>? Not a place one needs to visit…..like <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pBaghdad.</ST1:p</st1:City>

AMEN! You hit the nail on the head with that one! I'm not comprehending that fact either, why not post harder time for law breakers who commit gun crimes instead of impeeding on the rights of people who are ligimate in their actions??? Total B.S. if there was any more :devil: i think memphis p.d. would need knee high boots on patrol!:)

Guest db99wj

The "security" that will be manning the entrances at the barricades and conducting the wand metal detector searches are not really security, they are the Memphis Police Department. There was also mention of "if caught, gun will be confiscated". Let me tell you, from indirect experience (my best friend), if they confiscate you gun, and determine that no law was broken, it will take months, I mean months to get your gun back.

I just sent this to Channel 5:

I do have a question...is Beale Street a public street, or not? Under the new restaurant carry law just passed by the General Assembly, restaurant owners do indeed have the right to post against carry in their establishments. If Beale Steet is wholly owned and maintained by private funds, then the owners may indeed have the right to prohibit carry as well. But if Beale Street is a public street, the Memphis Police Department and private security guards have no authority to prevent law-abiding citizens from carrying there, as that authority has been preempted by state statute since 1986. Such action would probably subject those involved to lawsuits, and it might leave them liable to criminal penalties under 18 USC Chapter 242 or Chapter 245.

While I think this is an utter crock and I hope someone sues the living crap out of the city over this, it won't affect me personally. If I'm on Beale (which is more rare than a civil discussion on Open Carry here) I'm drinking and with a group of people that could easily give the slobs that MPD posts down there a run for their money along with any idiot who wants to be a pain. That's not cop bashing, that's gospel truth.

What pisses me off most is the situation this puts people like Truthsayer in that make a living down there and our corrupt ass government won't allow them to carry because they are too ignorant to realize who the real bad guys are.

Guest justme
Beale Street to ban all guns - WMC-TV: News, Weather, Traffic, Radar, and Sports for Memphis, TN; WMCTV.com |

Gotta love Memphis. I'm glad the security guards and metal detectors will make people safer!

What a load of :drama:

I'd burn in hell before I ever allowed a "security" guard or a LEO to search me just so I could enter a business to spend money...

as for the street itself--if it is a "street" in Tennessee--I don't see how they can enforce any arbitrary ban. This screams for a lawsuit.

Edited by justme
Guest justme

What pisses me off most is the situation this puts people like Truthsayer in that make a living down there and our corrupt ass government won't allow them to carry because they are too ignorant to realize who the real bad guys are.

The government can afford to be ignorant...

Guest justme
They arent searching before you enter a business. its before you walk on the street. :drama:

same concept...same words--I would burn in hell before I would allow myself to be searched to simply walk onto a public street or into any business in America...or is that Amerika?

Guest db99wj

P Stegall??? Is there an ordinance or something that alters Beale Street during these times? They block off the city streets and it seems to become a gigantic "festival" area.

• Administrator
Same here, I travel through once a month on business. Rarely do I stop and I always carry a handgun. However, I do feel under-gunned with a handgun in that toilet.

<o>:drama:</o>:screwy:

<o>:down:</o>:P

If I were a tourist thinking of coming to to <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>:pMemphis</st1>:P</st1:city>, why would I want to come to a city that has people go through a metal detector before they can walk down a street? What does that say about <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>:pMemphis</st1>:P</st1:city>? Not a place one needs to visit…..like <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>:pBaghdad.</st1>:P</st1:city>

WTF smilies?

First visit to Memphis was in 1958. It was a beautiful city then. I'm shocked about what Memphis has become. I guess the best policy may be to refrain from going to Beal Street, and spending cash in the businesses. After a loss of revenue, they may rethink those posted signs.

Why is common sense so uncommon these days? Tennessee Senator Fred Thompson

Guest redbarron06
If I were a tourist thinking of coming to to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pMemphis</ST1:p</st1:City>, why would I want to come to a city that has people go through a metal detector before they can walk down a street? </ST1:p

Nothing sais "Welcome, come spend you hard earned money here" quite like "We have better security than the airport".

I wonder if they are going to have you take your shoes and belts off too?

Guest 270win

I see these metal detectors on a public street just ASKING for a lawsuit. How does the city of Memphis think it can legally do this? You cannot frisk everyone walking down a public street...a group of people needs to walk down there with say under four inch knives...have them confiscated and then sue....or better cheap handguns but of course carrying on a permit. If Memphis PD is a part of this they will be steam rolled in a lawsuit. I wonder why Memphis PD has never worked this hard trying to catch REAL criminals carrying weapons in the hood? Many of their officers are a disgrace to the badge! No wonder it is one of the most violent cities in America.

Guest justme
On the flip side, if they are "wanding" everyone, then even the crooks won't have guns. One less reason to carry. Just tryin' to find something positive here...:poop:

Criminals will be exempted from wanding--lest they should be found committing some crime and thereby have their rights abrogated...I mean this is the thinking of the government today--worry more about the criminal than you do the citizen...