Challenge "Guns-in-bars" Law: Nashville attorneys David Randolph Smith & Adam Dread

Those were my thoughts as well, how will anyone know your viewpoint. The request posted in this board's bulletin didn't make any sense, so I decided to stay home.

Just curious...if the court room is filled to capacity either way, by them or us, how will anyone be able to tell which side of the issue anyone is on? Just thinking out loud. I'm all for showing up in support, but if everyone remains silent and behaved, as they should, it will just be a room full of people, spectators, not discernible for either side.
  • Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Doc44
Ya'll don't seriously think that any hearing such as this would be done within a half hour, do you?

No, but they ain't gonna miss 5:00 happy hour.

Doc44

Guest HexHead
Ya'll don't seriously think that any hearing such as this would be done within a half hour, do you?

I was hoping she'd come in, say she'd read the complaint, found it without merit and dismissed the case. 5 minutes and done. LOLOLOL

Guest HexHead
One of TGO's moderators is on Twitter here:

Daniel Costner (Daniel745) on Twitter

This could be good....

Recess. Plaintiffs want to strike down law as unconstitutional not just an injunction.

They're going for the whole enchilada. An injunction seems like it would have been easier. I can't imagine she'd deliver a decision today on whether the law is unconstitutional and invalidate it.

oops! forgot it started at 1pm, I was thinking 9am. still, you'd think someone with an iPhone (or similar) would be posting some comments from within or just outside the courtroom as to what the atmosphere is like.

Guest ScottD

Just to verify this, being a Chancery court, any ruling made in the losers favor only affects Davidson County correct?

Edited by ScottD
Guest HexHead
Just to verify this, being a Chancery court, any ruling made in the losers favor only affects Davidson County correct?

I don't think so. Chancery Court decides state constitutional issues and they're heard in Nashville since it's where the legislature is.

I don't see how a state law could be ruled unconstitutional and only apply to one city?

From their website....

Chancery Court is a court of equity that hears Tennessee constitutional issues, contract disputes, employment lawsuits, construction, real property and commercial litigation, applications for receivership and liquidation of insurance companies, state tax disputes, workers compensation, local governmental actions including appeals from a variety of local boards and commissions, applications for injunctions, writs of certiorari, emancipation of minors, and name changes. In addition, the Davidson County Chancery Court is the court of appeals for a number of administrative agencies, such as the Tennessee Department of TennCare, Tennessee Department of Labor, and the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance, among many others.
Guest ScottD
I don't think so. Chancery Court decides state constitutional issues and they're heard in Nashville since it's where the legislature is.

I don't see how a state law could be ruled unconstitutional and only apply to one city?

From their website....

Damn... Well it looks good for us anyways.

Guest HexHead
It does merit a full hearing in the future.....

7 minutes ago from TweetDeck

Ahhh, crap, it's not going to be over. We may get to start carrying tomorrow, but for how long until this :D gets it's day in court again?

Guest kdpate
Ahhh, crap, it's not going to be over. We may get to start carrying tomorrow, but for how long until this :D gets it's day in court again?
Without the injunction this case loses alot of steam. If she did infact deny thats a good news.

From what I'm gathering out of these statements if they want to challenge the law they (the lawyers) would have to start back at "Square One"with filing an appeal, etc.?????

Guest HexHead
Without the injunction this case loses alot of steam. If she did infact deny thats a good news.

You can be sure the media will be beating the drum daily. But I agree, it's good news. Just could be better.

I wonder if this 3rd plaintiff is the jerk off that is trying to make the case that bars that don't serve enough food (and breaking the law) shouldn't be considered restaurants and because we don't know that when we go in, could be arrested for being in a prohibited place?

Guest pws_smokeyjones

My guess is that if they lose here, they will just keep appealing higher until they get the decision they want or until they run out of courts. jwb68 is right though - with the injunction being denied at this stage it does kink their chain a bit.