I want a .308/7.62 AR

DaveTN

I’m in the market for a 7.62 AR. So far I have been looking at the Rock River Arms, DPMS and Armalite.

I collect military and law enforcement weapons and I want to pass this off as my “Vietnam era†rifle. I know it should be an A2 in .223, but all of my weapons are shooters also; and I just can’t buy a .223. I’m also thinking it should be a flat top.

I’m kinda leaning towards the RRA LAR-8 Standard A4 Rifle. Its MSRP is $1100, so I’m thinking I should be able to find a pretty good deal on a used one.

Any others? Do any of you guys have any of these rifles?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My feeling is that the .308 is an accuracy round and an AR isn't going to be especially accurate with it. I've also never seen the fascination with using an AK round in an AR. Why not just buy an AK, if you are talking 7.62x39?

But whatever floats your boat. :confused:

Guest Mugster
I’m in the market for a 7.62 AR. So far I have been looking at the Rock River Arms, DPMS and Armalite.

I collect military and law enforcement weapons and I want to pass this off as my “Vietnam era†rifle. I know it should be an A2 in .223, but all of my weapons are shooters also; and I just can’t buy a .223. I’m also thinking it should be a flat top.

I’m kinda leaning towards the RRA LAR-8 Standard A4 Rifle. Its MSRP is $1100, so I’m thinking I should be able to find a pretty good deal on a used one.

Any others? Do any of you guys have any of these rifles?

No, I don't. But I did just recieve, yesturday, a RRA rifle in 5.56 (wylde chamber), the 20" A4 with a gas block front and a chrome lined barrel, stock otherwise. The quality in terms of fit and finish is good to great, and the 2 stage match trigger is very very very good for a stock piece. So I could recommend RRA in terms of any of their rifles, but be prepared to wait a bit over the listed times if you order directly from them. I believe mine took 11 weeks.

If you want a period piece, I picked up a surplussed upper/hand guard/buttstock at a gunshow with lineage to 1970-72. I combined that with a lower, parts kit, and a few other things like a spring and plunger...and have a really fun and shootable ar rifle thats a spitting image of the old M16A1 that I went through basic training with...just minus the fun switch. You might want to snatch one of these up before they are all gone. There are some lower's made with the finish designed to match the greyish .mil finish on the upper if you really want to get into making it look pretty close to the originals. I don't personally care about the color mismatch, i just wanted a shooter.

Just FYI... the RRA .308 is still not shipping, and probably won't anytime soon. I talked to the Rock River guys at SHOT back in February, and they said it was still at least 6 months away, probably more like a year. They just can't seem to get the kinks worked out to their satisfaction. Add to this the enormous backlog of pre-orders (they've been hyping this gun for almost 2 years now), and it all adds up to picking a DPMS or an Armalite. This all sucks, because I really want one myself. To their credit, however, they aren't going into production until the gun works... wish some other companies would follow that example....

DanO

Marswolf,

havn't shot it for groups yet. Mainly it has been my 13yo daughter and 12yo son just having fun shooting it. We have one of the sniper training cubes from Ballistic Technologies. It is a 4" square cube of polymer that you throw on the ground and shoot. Every time you hit it, it flips and spins and it moves. You reacquire and shoot again. It is a lot of fun.

We have had no problems hitting that with open sites at 30-50 yds. Once I put it on the bench I will let you know what kind of groups I am getting.

I have the Bushmaster BAR 308 A2. This was my first AR and I love it. It is a blast to shoot. Haven't had any trouble out of it but I have only put a couple hundred rounds thru it. Good luck.

Why did BushMaster quit making them?

There’s probably something wrong with it…. You better think about selling it to me.

leaving.gif

Just FYI... the RRA .308 is still not shipping, and probably won't anytime soon.

Wow... I had no idea I have been looking at it for a long time. ;)

DPMS Panther LR-TAC20 looks pretty interesting. It has a $1254 MSRP and it looks like a $1000 street price.

FYI:

If you are looking to put some of these in your hand, I actually have 3 DPMS .308 rifles in stock.

We have the LR-308B, LR-308 AP4, and the LR-308 in stock, so feel free to drop buy (excuse the pun ;) ) anytime.

We have sold several Armalite AR10 rifles, and I have to say that I prefer the DPMS over the Armalite.

FYI:

If you are looking to put some of these in your hand, I actually have 3 DPMS .308 rifles in stock.

We have the LR-308B, LR-308 AP4, and the LR-308 in stock, so feel free to drop buy (excuse the pun ;) ) anytime.

We have sold several Armalite AR10 rifles, and I have to say that I prefer the DPMS over the Armalite.

Incoming PM.

Nukedeer.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have a DPMS AR-10 type with a 11 degree crowned match barrel w/ a Night Force scope – I shoot Hornady 168 gr TAP FPD ammo through it and I can get one inch groups out at 300 yards – I even got a group at ¾ inch

I had my gun smith drill the bolt and mount a “handle” on the side of the bolt – he also slotted the side of the lower to allow for the bolt’s rear movement – this allows for quick fix for possible jams

He also filed the bolt ejecting system slightly to insure against stove piping (the ejected cartridge ejects 90 degrees from the rifle) and he did a trigger job

A great rife and a must for all gun safes

Guest Match223

I have two Armalite (not Eagle Arms) AR-10's, one is a 24" AR-10T that was built from a AR10A2 and the other is a 20" AR-10A4 with a free float handguard that started life as an AR10A2 also.

The Flattop is the way to go, I bought the A2's cheap and found a deal on the A4 receivers, they are easy to convert.

I've won a 300 yard rifle match with the AR-10T and the AR10-A4 will shoot 1 moa with Match Ammo.

I have little experience with the DPMS but I do know the polymer mags suck bigtime, they now have metal mags.

The Rock River Arms appear to be what Bushmaster dis-continued, they are apparantly trying to work out the bugs, a friend has been waiting for 6 months and the delivery date keeps changing.

I wanted a 308 that represented the original and all manufactures do in one way or another. What it came down to with me was a rifle that was called an AR-10 instead of a BAR-10, ect. and one that functioned reliably.

Match223

Guest Match223

The AR-10T has PNW Match sights with adjustable apatures front and rear (I built it as a across the course rifle), I have a Springfield Armory 4x14x56 for it but it is currently mounted on the 20" rifle witch also has a DPMS removable A2 type rear and Armalite fold down front iron sights. I just picked up a 1" Armalite mount and 3x9x40 Nikon for the 20" AR-10 (smaller and lighter total package).

I'm desperately in need of good triggers for both rifles and am going to try the RRA 2 stage or Armalite match triggers soon. All my 223 Match rifles have Jewell triggers which I love but it is not recomended to use them in the 308 rifles.

Thanks

Match223

Guest NpAlaska

I have a 16" DPMS LR308 Ap4 Carbine. for my scope i decided on a leupold Mark 4 2.5-8x36mm Mr/T TMR illuminated reticle. the particulaur scope i chose has m2 dials and is a 1/2 minute scope. Ive gotten tight groupings with handloads up to 200 yds and am confident i can get decent groupings up to 400 yds with this particulaur platform.it might be spendy for what im using the rifle for but im extremely impressed with the results. once Ive made a good quality ballistics Chart Im certain that anything 6" x 6" is dead and im sure with practice I will only get Better( 1 moa @ 400 Yds = 4 inches / 2 = 2 inches)I guess it depends on my disipline to use the formulas and try to learn the rifle. Im just learning to shoot this type of AR platform. when i was 13 I zerod My ruger M77 30-06 hunting rifle @ 1" high @ 100 yds and now @ 27 Thats all Ive ever shot. Ive spent enough money on scopes, shooting books, and guns this year to be in the dog house with my wife.(but with the fun im having it makes it all worthwhile;)) In my opinion ( limited experiance)I I've shot 600 rounds through my rifle so far & the DPMS seems to be a fine rifle Ive cleaned the rifle after every shooting usually 60-100 rounds per shooting and have had no malfunctions. I have no regrets with the rifle whatsoever. The scope was probably to much $$$ to mount on a carbine plinker but it was what i wanted. After I get this rifle figured out and a good Ballistics chart made I might try a longer match type Barrel And a long range scope. For right now im broke but entertained. Happy safe shooting & Most of All Have Fun :taser:.